Home Cigar 101
Options

Tubos: Yea or Nay?

shiveyshivey Posts: 2
Cigars presented in metal, glass, or cardboard tubes seem, to me at least, to be more brittle and dry compared to the same stick in regular packaging. They are smokeable....just not as tasty. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I always try and take them out, but thats just my preference.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    I always try and take them out, but thats just my preference.
    I agree. I take them out to allow air to flow around them.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i put them in the humidor and age the crap out of them.

ive not had issues with them being more fragile than their non-tubo counterpart. they are the same cigar just one has a tube to go with. i suspect that if you are experiencing issues with them being dry and cracked then the cigars probably have been mistreated along the line. the tube should have no effect on them.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Tubos are nice but when they add more to the price then they aren't worth it...I can put that same cigar in my own cedar sleeve for free. While they do give a certain amount of protection at the end of the day it's just a gimmick..just like the cigar bands.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always just removed the cap.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Love em. Love the aesthetics of the tubo and the protection it gives when transporting.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had mixed luck but I think it might have mo to do with the Place I bought them. Of you know that if they have been mistreated anywhere down the line they will have to spends bit of times the humi before you smoke them. Honestly I have only smoked a few, but I've gifted many...maybe I need to rethink that though. Or at least let it rest a bit outside the tube or with the cap off (I like that suggestion, by the way)
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they're very cool but, add to the price etc.. Tony's pass was cool as well. I had a couple with mold issues and once in a wood coffin. If you keep them in the tube or coffin....check them out to make sure they're not growing a beard.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I like is on tubes...beetles can't eat thru them right
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    I think they're very cool but, add to the price etc.. Tony's pass was cool as well. I had a couple with mold issues and once in a wood coffin. If you keep them in the tube or coffin....check them out to make sure they're not growing a beard.
    This is the one thing I hate about them. I've never had a problem with mold once I have them. I'm a control freak when it comes to my humidor's conditions. But you have to check them out at the B&M before you buy them. Lots of places keep the humidity way too high and the tubos/coffins are really susceptible. I had to learn the hard way with an old Camacho Liberty I picked up and didn't check out because it was still sealed. Went to smoke it and it was just ruined. Really sucks because I paid a lot for it, too. Moral of the story, always open them up before buying. If a shop worker has a problem with it, then I simply won't even consider buying it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America