Home Pipes
Options

How much to cellar realistically.

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
I have a bit of a dilema. I started pipe smoking again, but this time I found a keeper, HH Anniv. Kake. I absolutely enjoy it every single day. Im thinking of cellaring a fair amount. Im wondering how realistic it is that pipe tobacco online sales in minnesota will be prohibited. Also what would be a decent amount to put away. I know it depends on how much one smokes. But Id like to store it before govt takes control. Maybe Im being paranoid. I could use some advice, please.

Comments

• Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    You will most likely always be able to find it but it may not always be online. Price will always go up, even on line. If this is "the one" in that blend style that you simply cannot live without then I would go big. However, in this case big does not equal a big savings. The difference between 16 oz. and 80 oz. is 3 cents an oz. So by buying 5 lbs. you save very little over buying in 16 oz increments. I would suggest buying at least a couple of lbs. now, and plan on buying more after you see how much 2 lbs. really is. Cellering this way allows you to age some and smoke some and as you add to it pull from the aged stuff which will be a little more mellow after a few months. See how long 2 lbs will take to smoke and then base your decision on how much room you have for storage vs. how much are are really smoking it.

Also, taste changes, what you love now might not be what you love 5 yrs from now so take that into consideration too.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can never have too much. Buy what you can afford and stock up. I have mason jars and tins stacked up. I didn't buy to break the bank and I won't run out soon. I have my favorite stocked up the most so if something came about I would be set for a long time. I think the biggest thing is do not panic buy and financially put yourself in a bad spot. Prices will go up in the future but you can also buy some now and maybe some next month etc. If you stock up on other stuff you like you have stuff to trade for your favorites down the road.
  • Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    You can never have too much. Buy what you can afford and stock up. I have mason jars and tins stacked up. I didn't buy to break the bank and I won't run out soon. I have my favorite stocked up the most so if something came about I would be set for a long time. I think the biggest thing is do not panic buy and financially put yourself in a bad spot. Prices will go up in the future but you can also buy some now and maybe some next month etc. If you stock up on other stuff you like you have stuff to trade for your favorites down the road.
    Thank you for the advice. I guess I was concerned that I might end up "panic buying". I'll buy a couple pounds of each of my favorites and go from there. Maybe narrow down what I really love. What I "like" keep in smaller stock. It is so easy to go overboard and go into a panic mindset.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a few lbs is a great start. Like has been said, you just have to wait and find out how your now favorite tobacco will age and if your tastes will change too! Few lbs is more than enough to smoke regularly, but not too much that you couldnt trade it out if you ever wanted to.

and if in a year you still like the blend and how it's againg you can add more!

Tobacco will never be cheaper than it is today. Enjoy it!!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't smoke a pipe yet but if I were you I'd start putting money away now...as soon as you find out when the law goes in affect buy the amount you have saved up for and go from there. That's just my .02
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I personally wouldn't worry about not being able to get it anymore. Look at the "What did you get today" thread and tell me how well the Cuban embargo is working! Worst case, one of us will buy and ship to you if you actually can't get something in your state. Edit: I wouldn't actually break any laws. I was talking theoretically ;)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    I personally wouldn't worry about not being able to get it anymore. Look at the "What did you get today" thread and tell me how well the Cuban embargo is working! Worst case, one of us will buy and ship to you if you actually can't get something in your state. Edit: I wouldn't actually break any laws. I was talking theoretically ;)
    ;) So I found another tin of my favorite Holiday Spirit today. In my opinion I can never have enough. I have a tin from each year so nothing drastic but a nice reserve set aside as I smoke the original tin I opened 2 years ago. The crazy thing is I smoke and smoke and it seems I never run out. Like it regenerates. Looking forward to smoking tonight.

Like SleevePlz says even now I may have stuff in my area that is hard to find in yours and vice versa. Think I started a thread for that a long time ago. Will see if I can find and bump it.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Only thing I would caution is VaPers generally don't age well. If you like the peppery flair to the tobacco that will mellow out over time. If you have a blend that you consider too strong aging will probably help that. Best aging tobaccos seem to be Virginias. You can age them forever and they only become more awesomer.