Home Pipes
Options

Go with half-pint or smaller?

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
To store tobacco such as (hearth homes stuff) would half pint or smaller be best for long term storage? The 8 oz or 4 oz jars. Im assumimg those are fluid ounces.

Comments

• Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    christian1971:
    To store tobacco such as (hearth homes stuff) would half pint or smaller be best for long term storage? The 8 oz or 4 oz jars. Im assumimg those are fluid ounces.
    The ounces on the jars you take in half to figure a ribbon cut tobacco. i.e. Nightcap is a ribbon cut, 4oz fit in an 8oz jar, a little tight. Flakes and cubes etc are a different beast. You can fit a lot of flake weight into a jar if you tetris it up correctly.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Marker:
    christian1971:
    The ounces on the jars you take in half to figure a ribbon cut tobacco. i.e. Nightcap is a ribbon cut, 4oz fit in an 8oz jar, a little tight. Flakes and cubes etc are a different beast. You can fit a lot of flake weight into a jar if you tetris it up correctly.
    Very true. However, if you want to age, it is good not to push it in too tightly. You want a little air in the mix. As the tobacco uses up the O2, the aging begins. This is why several co. use tinning methods with a lighter pack and some space at the top vs. the vacuumed sealed method of Dunhill and others. Both tins will age but differently. Just a thought worth considering.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Sorry, nothing like making a statement and then forgetting to add the important part :(
    If you leave room you will use more jars so the 8 oz. would work very well. I do like the 4 oz. because I like to change my rotation often and this way will give me about 10-12 bowls of ribbon cut to smoke. Then I am on to the next blend I like.