Home General Discussion
Options

Padron 64 my dissection .....Umm wow! (pics)

danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had this badly damaged Padron 64. Wasn't worth smoking so I decided to see what's inside.

photo 5085BD84-orig.jpg

Wrapper

photo 2059FF47-orig.jpg

Binder

photo D05D6990-orig.jpg

Filler

photo 20178AED-orig.jpg

Stems

photo 49F6430C-orig.jpg

The filler was filled with smaller stems but I only put aside the obvious big ones. Also, the pics doesn't do them justice, these were massive stems.
"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR

Comments

• Options
    coincidence with the video? you decide
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I wonder if it's just how they do it. Really seems like it would effect burn though.
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    WHY WHY WHY???? You mean cold hearted SOB. I could have found a way to smoke that..... But it is very interesting that you found all the stems in yours as well
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they Stems or veins? A stem would be if the middle rib of the tobacco leaf made it in there (I believe). Veins that run at angles along the leaf will be in there and sometimes can be large, but it's normal for them to be there. I can't imagine a padron not to mention a 64 would be that chocked full of stems. That is way too many to be an accident.

PS send the remains over here and I will pipe-smoke em! Sad day....
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    hmmmm…. woody flavor!
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    small stems like that are somewhat normal. 4 of them is a bit much but you can usually see 1-2 stems in a bunch all the time. they are usually small ones like that though. I've had ones that are much larger though and they do give a bitter taste and in one instance, caused in irregular burn that was very hot.

they are handmade products after all
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Daniel.
    I appreciate what you have done here.
    Personally, I think that for what you pay, stems or veins that thick shouldn't be part of the cigar.
    To me that screams laziness on someone's part. Especially when there are a lot of fine cigars that you don't see that in. And Padron is supposed to be above that.
    Just my opinion.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm kinda confused. what does it matter? every Padron I've had burns razor sharp and tastes consistently great.
  • Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    Regardless of the results from this video and these pictures. . I will still probably thoroughly enjoy the next 64 i have with my morning coffee. It is kind of odd though, but as long as people keep buying them i would suspect they will not change.
  • Options
    Bamablows:
    Regardless of the results from this video and these pictures. . I will still probably thoroughly enjoy the next 64 i have with my morning coffee. It is kind of odd though, but as long as people keep buying them i would suspect they will not change.
    Your right, still does not change my mind that I want to try one of the 64's and some day I will, stems and all.
  • Options
    My intentions with this thread wasn't to bash on Padron. After the video, I stated that I was going to do the same experiment and these pics are my results. I was just shocked. I'll most likely still smoke their product.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play fetch with Frankie with my stems.
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    My intentions with this thread wasn't to bash on Padron. After the video, I stated that I was going to do the same experiment and these pics are my results. I was just shocked. I'll most likely still smoke their product.

Just stick to cohiba and you'll be good dawg
  • Options
    danielzreyes:

I dont think anyone thinks you were trying to bash Padron and anyone who sees the other thread and watch's the video will get it.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:

Wow, surprising results indeed. Thanks for sharing the results of your "experiment" D-Rey.

And LOL - hope Frankie enjoys the new fetch toys, those are some high- end fetch sticks ;-)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    danielzreyes:

Wow, surprising results indeed. Thanks for sharing the results of your "experiment" D-Rey.

And LOL - hope Frankie enjoys the new fetch toys, those are some high- end fetch sticks ;-)
    Ballers gotta ball. Nah I mean?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    jgibv:
    danielzreyes:

Ballers gotta ball. Nah I mean?
    Lol awwww yessss.....wonder if Frankie has his own L.E. stogie stick stand to go with them....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    STEM-GATE 2014
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The stem acts y'all has the most flavors in it being the distributer of the leaf! Padron adds stems too cigars too add extra flavor
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    big chunks:
    STEM-GATE 2014
    LOL I was gonna post that too.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    The stem acts y'all has the most flavors in it being the distributer of the leaf! Padron adds stems too cigars too add extra flavor
    Yeah, I was wondering if these stems are just "that good". I haven't heard any complaints. Maybe Daniel should take just the stems and put them in a pipe to see if they are tasty.
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Apparently stems make excellent filler, who knew? I wonder if the aging process has anything to do with the stems being able to burn at the same rate as the leaves. Well, whatever it is it works for them because those are damn tasty cigars.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Yeah, I was wondering if these stems are just "that good". I haven't heard any complaints. Maybe Daniel should take just the stems and put them in a pipe to see if they are tasty.
    Putting them in a pipe is a pretty cool idea.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Ortega and Espinosa do the same thing...I learned this from one of the mutual friends
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it also needlessly introduces potential burn issues to the cigars.

if this thread was about a Gurkha we would all be saying things like "no surprises here" or "well duh, its Gurkha" or "at least it isnt plastic, or a nail"

but as soon as it is a cigar company that people like, all is magically forgiven.

for me, this just reenforces my non-excitement about Padron.

• Options
    Daniel, I think your experiment raises some good questions. And I'm not sure I agree with Kuz. I am not convinced that these stems or veins are an accident given 1 this is a highly regarded brand and cigar, 2 the number of them you found, 3 Brian Glenn found the exact same thing.

How many cigars have these in them that go unnoticed? Obviously, any that do not cause a burn problem are not noticed unless you can see them in the foot of the cigar. The larger, maybe accidental stems are noticed as they ruin the cigar.

Found this quote, "*note: stems and veins aren’t bad- this is a plant and that is where all the nutrients go and the intensity of the flavor. An artful blender understands how to use the stems and veins properly for a balanced and rich cigar."

Source http://smokinghotcigarchick.com/cigar-safari-how-the-joya-de-nicaragua-cabinetta-serie-is-rolled

I just find it odd that so many stems are in there "by accident". And if it is not by accident, but on purpose, why? Is this a normal thing that goes unnoticed until a burn issue comes up?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Daniel, I think your experiment raises some good questions. And I'm not sure I agree with Kuz. I am not convinced that these stems or veins are an accident given 1 this is a highly regarded brand and cigar, 2 the number of them you found, 3 Brian Glenn found the exact same thing.

i dont think they are an accident at all.

and i do think that if this was a gurkha we would jump on it: CLICK (third post)

And this forum has been upste by DE doing the same thing: CLICK

padron gets a pass.

i guess to each his own.
    Gray4lines:
    How many cigars have these in them that go unnoticed? Obviously, any that do not cause a burn problem are not noticed unless you can see them in the foot of the cigar. The larger, maybe accidental stems are noticed as they ruin the cigar.

Found this quote, "*note: stems and veins aren’t bad- this is a plant and that is where all the nutrients go and the intensity of the flavor. An artful blender understands how to use the stems and veins properly for a balanced and rich cigar."

Source http://smokinghotcigarchick.com/cigar-safari-how-the-joya-de-nicaragua-cabinetta-serie-is-rolled

I just find it odd that so many stems are in there "by accident". And if it is not by accident, but on purpose, why? Is this a normal thing that goes unnoticed until a burn issue comes up?
    veins are ok. woody stems are adding risk for a poor burn.

if they wanna take that risk to save cost, add flavor or whatever thats fine.

i guess im more upset at the "selective outrage" when it comes to stems.
  • Options
    I understand that... we should be fair. A bum stick is a bum stick and is disappointing no matter what brand. I think you're missing an intricacy of what daniel found though. This padron isn't necessarily a bum stick and couldve smoked like a champ. Those other threads are discussing cigars that actually exhibited problems, (and the gurkha was a nail).

On the thought of being fair... let's pretend you have two friends. Mr. Padron and Mr. Gurk. One day Mr. Gurk borrows your car, and dents it while he's out. Damn... not a huge deal, but he has done this to you multiple times... he borrows your lawn mower and leaves the grass gunked up in it, borrows money and never pays it back. You wonder why you even give him another chance.

If Mr. P pulled the same car stunt, but generally he never let you down. Who are you more upset with? There is something aggravating about repeat offenders.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    I understand that... we should be fair. A bum stick is a bum stick and is disappointing no matter what brand. I think you're missing an intricacy of what daniel found though. This padron isn't necessarily a bum stick and couldve smoked like a champ. Those other threads are discussing cigars that actually exhibited problems, (and the gurkha was a nail).

On the thought of being fair... let's pretend you have two friends. Mr. Padron and Mr. Gurk. One day Mr. Gurk borrows your car, and dents it while he's out. Damn... not a huge deal, but he has done this to you multiple times... he borrows your lawn mower and leaves the grass gunked up in it, borrows money and never pays it back. You wonder why you even give him another chance.

If Mr. P pulled the same car stunt, but generally he never let you down. Who are you more upset with? There is something aggravating about repeat offenders.
    Good points. The question is, how do we know if most or all of these padrons have similar amounts of stems? The evidence is gone once you smoke it. And you don't hear many complaints about padrons. Is there a way to put these sticks through a type of imaging device to safely detect those stems and smoke that same cigar to check for burn problems?
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:

Good points. The question is, how do we know if most or all of these padrons have similar amounts of stems? The evidence is gone once you smoke it. And you don't hear many complaints about padrons. Is there a way to put these sticks through a type of imaging device to safely detect those stems and smoke that same cigar to check for burn problems?
    i think you need to buy a box of padron 64s and then dissect them all to confirm this theory
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:

i think you need to buy a box of padron 64s and then dissect them all to confirm this theory
    I have dissected a few. (not padrons). I enjoy that. But it's a catch 22. If you dissect them you can't say for sure if there is a burn problem. And if you smoke them you don't know if it has stems. We need someone with access to an MRI machine. LOL