Home General Discussion
Options

Collection of Cigars

Hello.  An old friend of mine has cigars in original boxes who would like to sell them.

Hav-a-Tampa factory number 174 (full box)
Los Angeles Perfectoos Issued No. S6819 President Taft (37 out of 50)
La Flr De La Isabela Isla De Luzon Long Fellows  87879 (full box)
Klauber Wangenheim co. Monogram (full box)

He told me that he gave a Los Angeles on to a friend and put it in a humidor and it tasted really good.

If anyone can direct us to any buyers or can tell me what the value of each box would be, that would be great.  My phone number is 916-919-6712

Thank you, we appreciate any help you can give to us.
Diana

Comments

• Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Waiting for some brothers here to dig up some info on what these are. Hav a Tampa sounds like a 30 year old machine made mixed filler cigar, however I have never even heard of the others. My guess is you have a relative who passed and left a bunch of cheapo smokes, however I know nothing of these so the guys here can do some research and give some insight into what they are. At the least, you can find a collector of this period, whatever era they are, who would give a few bucks to have an old icon.
    Also Diane, if you would be so kind as to post pictures of all boxes with close ups of all cigars, I'm sure the people here would be more than willing to help. People tend to think a scam is going on without pics to at least identify the cigars. And whether they are if interest to anyone or not.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Diana,

I'm thinking the same thing. Just doing a cursory search, these seem to be very old brands of machine-made cigars that were popular in the early to mid 1900's. They would have value to collectors of vintage cigar memorabilia, perhaps, but not much appeal to cigar smokers, I suspect.

Looking forward to seeing what our more knowledgeable and experienced folks know or can dig up.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Have these been stored properly? You mentioned one being put in a humidor...
  • Options
    Thank you for all the replies.  These cigars were stored in a safe for years.   I will gladly post pictures but I don't see an icon to insert photos.  Sorry I am new to this forum.
  • Options
    Hi again, I just read on the forum rules that you can't add attachments.  If you want pictures I can send them via email to anyone who wants to see the boxes.  Thanks again
  • Options
    If you can email them to me at dcomin311@comcast.net I'll get them posted here.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    thank you very much.  I am going to send photos right now.  let me know if want more photos.  the came out kind of dark.  I can see if I can take better photos if you want
  • Options
    OK Cigar Detectives... Who can help this nice lady out?

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 for $.05 ...... sold!
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    2 for $.05 ...... sold!
    How about you wanna do a box-split on those DZR????
    Wanna go halvsies on the box of 20 @ 2 for 5¢
    ;-) ;-) ;-)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    danielzreyes:
    2 for $.05 ...... sold!
    How about you wanna do a box-split on those DZR????
    Wanna go halvsies on the box of 20 @ 2 for 5¢
    ;-) ;-) ;-)
    Done. You do the dirty work. You know my addy lol
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dobrien23@frontier.com:
    thank you very much.  I am going to send photos right now.  let me know if want more photos.  the came out kind of dark.  I can see if I can take better photos if you want
    If you're selling them at the "MSRP" of 2 for 5¢ I'd be interested in the whole box
    I'll pay for shipping too ;-)

LOL, but seriously that's a cool find. No idea what you could get $$ for them, I'm sure like anything else it's whatever someone's willing to pay. If they've been cared for and smoke good like you say they do then I'm sure you'll have some interest in them.

Regardless those are neat boxes - I love the look and art on older boxes like that.
    I'd love to see a closer, non-blurry picture of the stamps/ink on the bottom of the boxes --- and a close-up/non blurry pic of the tax stamps would probably help a lot too....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been doing some digging cant find much but I think that Los Angeles is from 1984. Il keep looking.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Kept in a safe means they are dry
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The appear to be in relatively good condition by looks alone. Probably wouldn't want to smoke them but you would think these would be all dust by now. A collector may be interested but I don't think there will be the kind of value you think there would be. The boxes are what someone would be after and they aren't usually worth very much.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Kept in a safe means they are dry
    that was my concern, which would take the value down to a serious collector really. At this point, they are antiques.
  • Options
    ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    Your best bet is to sell them on an auction site that sells tobacco collectibles. Since they are old and not manufactured anymore you are selling them as collectibles and not tobacco for usage. You will need to emphasize the value is in the original packaging and they are not sold in stores anymore.
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Pretty interesting history if googled. The Klaubner Wangenheim Co closed it's LA branch in 1954. They were wholesalers of grocery, liquor, & tobacco. They wouldn't have Los Angeles on the box if post 1954, so that box dates to before 1954. The two for 5 cents & three for 10 cents became popular in 1931 when Lorillard Tobacco introduced this offer. More companies followed suit with this pricing in 1932. That narrows it down to somewhere between 1932 and early 50's..

p.s. 1931 WHITE OWL reduces price to a nickel and becomes the largest selling 5¢ cigar
  • Options
    Thank you very much for posting the pics.  I am helping my friend out who is a Vietnam Veteran.  I am getting nothing from the sale, just the satisfaction of helping him.  He grew up in the same town as me but he is older than me.  I am very close to his wife and him.  Would like to see him get something for his collection. :)

Thanks again.  My phone number is 916-919-6712 if anyone wants to call or text me.

If anyone wants better pics, I can take more.

Diana

• Options
    Thank you everyone for your help and info.  I will do more research to see if I can find a buyer.