Home Cigar 101
Options

Hygro ?

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
I have 2 hygros, one is a little havanna and the other is a well I don't know. Anyway the little havanna is about 21 RH off of the other one. I've tried to reset the havanna and by that I mean I took the battery out for about a month, used a boveda pack to recalibrate it and it still showed about 80 RH. I'm wondering if anyone has one and if they know how to reset it properly? I am pretty sure my other one is correct as I just recharged the beads in my humi and it moved up to 63 RH from 58 and is staying steady. The havanna though was showing 70 last night when my other one was showing 62 and now the havanna is at 81. Anyone know of a hygro that's really reliable?

Comments

• Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Being honest the one hays reccomeded to me from walmart ..... i think its a springfield for 6.97 has worked flawless for me for almost a month and i think hays has had is for a longer period than that ..... i have been monitoring mine on a weekly basis and its perfect, the last two that i have spent 25 plus on have both done wacky things after replacing the battery and then just croak .... so for 7 buckas i wont complain
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    Being honest the one hays reccomeded to me from walmart ..... i think its a springfield for 6.97 has worked flawless for me for almost a month and i think hays has had is for a longer period than that ..... i have been monitoring mine on a weekly basis and its perfect, the last two that i have spent 25 plus on have both done wacky things after replacing the battery and then just croak .... so for 7 buckas i wont complain
    Pretty much what he said.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Hays:
    kingjk729:
    Hays sent me one of those. I calibrated it and it was exact, right on 75%. So far, I love it!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    ejenne87:
    Hays:
    kingjk729:
    Hays sent me one of those. I calibrated it and it was exact, right on 75%. So far, I love it!
    I have two after seeing Hays recommend them - one I haven't opened yet, and one that is about 6% low. Seems to work fine, but 6% is a ways off, lol. No biggie. I'll open the other one. For $7 it is a steal.
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Where in Walmart can you find these? Damn I just purchased a little havana with my recent humi purchase
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    i'll check it out thanks
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    To try to answer your question I don't have that one but am Having the same problem with a Hygro I got from Heartfelt about a year ago...

The thing just goes nuts and won't reset after having it off, off without the battery, ON with the battery, ON without the Battery....

It's in a drawer now and I bought a wireless weather station so I don't even have to open up my humi :)
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Thewelder:
    Where in Walmart can you find these? Damn I just purchased a little havana with my recent humi purchase
    In my Walmart, they're located in the DYI section in the same spot with the Indoor/Outdoor Thermometers.

Springfield Thermometer/Hygrometer $6.97
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    On your suggestions Hays, I purchased the same Hygrometer. So far it works great and you can't beat the price.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Ive been using a springfield for over 2 moths with a boveda 72% humidity pack and in constantly reads 68-70%. Its not the coolest looking hygro but hey 7 bucks cant ask for more.
  • Options
    I've been planning on ordering one of the Humi-Care digital hygrometers they sell here on Ccom with my next order. Does anyone have any experience with these?
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I have one that I got 4 weeks ago and it just crapped out on me. Going to try a new battery, but something tells me its shot. Was working good up untill then
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Bought a Springfield a week ago. Salt tested it twice. When I take it out of the Salt test container (an ice cream pail), it responds quickly to the change in humidity. Most I can get is 60%...Wait...61%. What gives? I'm almost ready to break down and buy a Hygroset but skeptical that I'd get what I pay for. I DO wish the Wally-world ones could be adjusted but then they wouldn't be as 'economical'.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    Hays:
    kingjk729:
    I have two after seeing Hays recommend them - one I haven't opened yet, and one that is about 6% low. Seems to work fine, but 6% is a ways off, lol. No biggie. I'll open the other one. For $7 it is a steal.
    I got one of these a while back, too, and mine is also off by 6%. At least it's consistent and it's pretty easy math so I'd say it works just fine.

My analog is adjustable and has been just as consistent as the digital plus it's much prettier on the eyes. I don't know why everyone fears the analogs so much, the digitals easily have at least as many problems.