Home Ratings & Reviews

Puff_Dougie's Pick & Pans

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
Rather than posting individual reviews, I thought it would be better to start a thread for the occasional smoke that is notable enough - positive or negative - to motivate me to share it with the forum. I am, by no means, experienced enough to put forward an expert perspective on blends, flavor profiles, notes, etc. But perhaps a simple description from an average cigar enthusiast will be helpful to those who read the humble opinions offered here.

Let's start with this afternoon's smoke...

Alec Bradley American Classic Blend
Size: Gordo
Strength: Mild/Medium
Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Connecticut Seed

This cigar had been resting for a little more than a year, and the cello was beginning to yellow. With a sunny afternoon and temps in the low 60s, it seemed a perfect time to break it out and head for the front porch with a cup of coffee.

The pre-light draw was mild, with a nice taste of wood and cedar. Upon toasting the foot, the ash burned evenly and the draw was very open. This is a very well-constructed cigar, and a pleasure to smoke. The ash was firm and each draw emitted copious amounts of creamy white smoke.

The first third of the American Classic was relatively mild, but quickly progressed to more of a medium strength, with subtle notes of white pepper becoming more dominant above the creamy wood flavors. Further in, a distinct taste of cocoa added to the complexity and nicely complemented the coffee I had decided to pair with the stick.

Moving into the second third, the volume of smoke remained strong, and the burn continued to be even and the draw perfect. The cocoa notes continued to intensify, and the white pepper pushed the flavors almost beyond medium bodied toward medium/full. There was definitely more kick to this cigar than I had anticipated based on its advertised category.

In the final third of the AB American Classic, the strength persisted, with the cocoa flavors giving way to more wood/cedar notes. There was a honey-like sweetness, however, on the finish, which lingered on the lips. On removal of the band, I did find that the glue had adhered to the wrapper, causing a small tear, but it did not affect the remainder of the smoke.

I enjoyed this cigar and would give it an overall rating of 8 on a scale of 1-10. An excellent offering from Alec Bradley which will be appreciated especially by those who prefer a stronger stick, but want to enjoy a smoother mid day smoke.
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Thanks for posting. I was wondering when you were going to jump in all the way ;-)
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great review. I've really enjoyed everything I've tried from AB and I'm pretty sure I have one of those sitting in my humidor. Really looking forward to lighting it up now.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice review! Thanks for sharing.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found these at a local B&M and couldn't resist the awesome packaging... image

Fired one up tonight, and found my new favorite short smoke! This little box pressed beauty is well-constructed and packed full of taste. It's a 4.5 by 50 stick, with a closed foot. It toasted well and burned evenly, with a perfect draw. The flavors were not complex, but it was a nice medium bodied smoke with a very sweet finish. Good smoke production and really cool packaging. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a reasonably priced quick smoke. It will definitely have you firing on all cylinders!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
    Thanks for the review! I heard they the flat heads are strong? Did it live up to it?
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Love your reviews Puff, keep it up.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Yes, nice review. After reading I went and looked at the one you sent me and I agree - absolutely 'very cool packaging'. Beautiful little stick. Can't wait to light it up. Thanks again, Puff.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Being in the spark plug sellin' business, I need to get some of these! Thanks for the review!
    This little beauty is handcrafted in Honduras by Oscar Valladares and rolled exclusively for Jim Robinson, owner of the Leaf & Bean Company in my hometown of Pittsburgh, PA. I stopped by last week to pick up a couple to try. Had to circle the block six times before finding a parking space, but MAN am I glad I did!

Country of Origin: Honduras
    Size: 6
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Great smoke!! They have them around me since it's not close enough to island Jim to affect his sales. The corojo is the best in the line
    Money can't buy taste
    Stopped in at my neighborhood Cigar Lounge last night for an Alec Bradley event. Tried AB's newest offering and, frankly, was not that impressed. But I did pick up this little box pressed beauty while I was there...

SINDICATO, by Hecho a Mano

Size: Robusto (54x5)
    Wrapper: Shade grown Corojo Jalapa
    Binder: Esteli Double Leaf
    Filler: Jalapa and Esteli

This cigar features a twisted pigtail at the head and a closed foot. The band is classic, with a black background and bold gold lettering befitting a premium stick. After clipping the head, the pre-light draw was incredibly open and sweet. I could tell immediately that there would be copious amounts of billowy smoke. I was not disappointed...

The predominant flavor was definitely an exotic spice. It was almost perfumy, but not at all overpowering or unpleasant. Notes of cedar and pepper mingled with the spice, and there was a subtle nuttiness on the retrohale.

The draw remained open and easy throughout the smoke, but the burn was uneven and grew increasingly crooked. This may well have been more a factor of user error than construction. I tend to smoke too quickly, and the openness of the draw made it easier to rush the experience. That said, the flavors were so delicious and the smoke so thick that I didn't really mind the uneven burn.

In fact, I reached for the 'ol Stubble Nubber and drew every last puff out of this baby. The Sindicato is a bit pricey at $11.00 retail, but it definitely does not disappoint. I would recommend this cigar highly, but if you happen to get hold of one, take the time to savor it slowly. You'll be glad you did.
    Received a couple of these from Martel in the Movie Trivia game and decided to spark one up this morning with a cup of butter cream coffee...

Perdomo Reserve Champagne 10th Anniversary

Strength: Mild-Medium
    Wrapper: Connecticut
    Origin: Nicaragua
    Shape: Robusto

This cigar features a complex blend of Cuban seed Nicaraguan tobaccos wrapped in a triple-fermented Connecticut shade wrapper. A few veins are visible, but the overall construction was solid and the pre-light draw was open and sweet. I could tell from the outset that this stick would produce tons of rich, creamy smoke.

Delivering a mild-medium bodied intensity, the Perdomo Champagne was richer than I expected. The flavor profile started out mild, with cream being the predominant note, but halfway through there was a growing taste of white pepper that pushed the envelope toward the medium end of the scale. Flavors of coffee and honey were also discernable, creating a nice sweet finish.

The burn started out a bit crooked, but was easily touched up and remained even through the rest of the smoke. Pairing this cigar with a rich butter cream coffee seemed like a good idea, but in retrospect it may have made of too much richness. By the time I had finished I was a bit light-headed, which is not something I anticipated from a mild-medium stick.

This was definitely an enjoyable cigar, and I would recommend it as a great stick for a mid-morning smoke, but you may want to make sure you've had a good breakfast before firing it up.
  • Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    That is one of my favorite cigars
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you liked it. These were pretty fresh; I'd only had them for about a month and a half when I sent them to you (the yellow cello is a tint.) It's currently one of my top three connies:
    1. Oliva CT Reserve
    2. San Cristobal Elegencia
    3. This

I'm not including super-premiums in this list, but there are some great mild cigars out there.

I should have warned you about the strength. Perdomo tends to kick me in the gut. While I don't get it as much from this cigar, you definitely need a solid breakfast if you smoke it in the morning. But it does have some surprising strength and a nice complexity.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I tried one of these the other night courtesy of Beaker38. I too was surprised. I completely expected it to be a very mild bodied cigar, but struck me as mild-medium leaning towards medium at times. Excited to revisit these once they have a little age on them.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
    First and last one I'll ever buy. That is all.
    I got one from one of my COTM clubs. It's been sitting, double bagged with a Boveda since. The smell just kinda threw me off. Now I feel certain my suspicions were legit.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
    The blend is very meaty... kinda like smoking a Slim Jim. I did not find it a pleasant experience at all. And to prolong the disappointment, the draw was so tight that it took three times as long to smoke it. I gave up and tossed it after the second third. Should have done it sooner, but I hate throwing away a cigar I paid good money for.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    The blend is very meaty... kinda like smoking a Slim Jim. I did not find it a pleasant experience at all. And to prolong the disappointment, the draw was so tight that it took three times as long to smoke it. I gave up and tossed it after the second third. Should have done it sooner, but I hate throwing away a cigar I paid good money for.
    This stick IMHO was a DE failure, out of the fire cured tobacco sticks out there it's not good at all ..... I truly was let down and disappointed.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    Puff_Dougie:
    This stick IMHO was a DE failure, out of the fire cured tobacco sticks out there it's not good at all ..... I truly was let down and disappointed.
    No appeal to me at all, although I did enjoy the Leccia Black. It was a cigar, not a fire-cured showcase.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm strange bc I kinda like it. It's not my favorite by any means but I kinda liked that charred smoky taste. I did however like it better in the Chunky (corona) size.
    Trying mine now and it's not as bad as I expected. Maybe I got a good (bad) one. Despite the smell, the smokey flavor is not overpowering. Not my favorite by any means, but when the bar is set so low it wasn't disappointing.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
    After a very long day covering many miles on the road, I was anxious to kick back with a cold beverage and a good cigar. I chose the lone Ave Maria in the humidor, grabbed a Shock Top from the fridge, and headed for the front porch. After clipping the header, I took a pre-light draw and knew I was in for a treat! The flavor was sweet and the draw was absolutely perfect. In fact, if I had to confine this review to a single word, that word would be "perfect."

Ave Maria Crusader

Wrapper: Habano
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Nicaragua
    Vitola: Crusader (robusto)

The first thing that struck me about this stick was its simple beauty. The Crusader (Robusto) is the perfect size for a casual smoke, and the construction is flawless. The band is a work of art, and the habano wrapper is smooth and... well, perfect. Upon toasting the foot and taking a few puffs, the ash burned evenly and the smoke production was amazing.

The flavor profile is medium bodied, with the predominant notes being nuts, wood and leather. There was also a mild spiciness in the first half, but nothing overpowering. The ash continued to burn with perfect evenness, and did not require a single touch-up.

My only disappointment with this cigar was that it didn't last longer. I honestly did not want this smoke to end. The Ave Maria Crusader has rocketed to the top of my Favorites list, and I am anxious to try some of the other vitolas. If you have an opportunity to try this stick, you will not be disappointed!

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes you're right. I love these things. When I need to describe what flavor profile I enjoy to a cigar store geek or the like, I always start with "My perfect cigar is the Ave Maria". Rode up to Bethlehem PA last Sunday to visit a cigar lounge opened by a Dominican roller used to work for Fuente. He asked what flavor I was looking for. I amswered Ave Maria. His eyes opened, he said "Ay, rico sabor! Suave!" I retorted "Si, rico sin pico."

Rich without any bite.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    Yes you're right. I love these things. When I need to describe what flavor profile I enjoy to a cigar store geek or the like, I always start with "My perfect cigar is the Ave Maria". Rode up to Bethlehem PA last Sunday to visit a cigar lounge opened by a Dominican roller used to work for Fuente. He asked what flavor I was looking for. I amswered Ave Maria. His eyes opened, he said "Ay, rico sabor! Suave!" I retorted "Si, rico sin pico."

Rich without any bite.

Muy bueno!! That is the perfect description!
    I've been eyeing these babies since they were released on Cinco de Mayo, and finally grabbed one at the B&M today. I could hardly wait for the work day to end so I could pop open a brew and light up! I don't know what it was about this offering by Pittsburgh cigar wizard, Sam Leccia, that captured my attention... maybe it was the presentation. I'm a sucker for cool packaging, and this Mexican wrestler motif is among the coolest packaging I've seen. The band is a Luchador's mask, with the vibrant colors of the Mexican flag and great attention to detail. Mucho awesome!

Sam Leccia Luchador

Wrapper: San Andres
    Binder: Equadorian Habano
    Filler: Pennsylvania Ligero
    Honduras Ligero
    Nicaraguan
    Ometepe

Since I've been anxious to try this cigar, I grabbed the biggest ring guage I could find, the 6x60 El Castigo. The appearance was impressive, with a rustic, toothy wrapper and a pigtail cap. The aroma was inviting and the pre-light draw was open and aromatic. A toasting of the foot immediately produced a spicy torrent of smokey goodness, and I knew I was in for a treat!

The construction was outstanding, with an easy draw and a perfectly even burn that required no touching up throughout the smoke. I tapped off the ash after about an inch and a half, but it would have hung on longer if I had let it.

The flavor profile was definitely medium to full bodied, with a lot of spice in the first third, followed by a mellow sweetness in the second third, and a reprise of the spice in the last. The mid-stick change was a nice surprise, and gave my palate a rest to prepare for the strong but sweet finish. The smoke production remained strong throughout the cigar and the flavors definitely intensified in the final third with what might best be described as waves of spice, sweetness and creaminess. As I reached the end of the stick, I found myself wishing it came in a bigger vitola!

Sam Leccia hit this one out of the park... if it's OK to use a baseball metaphor on a cigar with a wrestling motif. I highly recommend this stick. It will definitely be a staple in my humidor and I'm anxious to try the other ring gauges.
    Thanks for the review Doug! Gotta grab me a box now. :)
    Darktower007:
    Thanks for the review Doug! Gotta grab me a box now. :)
    Definitely box-worthy in my opinion!
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great review Doug. I smoked one of these last week and loved it. Flavors all over the place and maybe the best ash I have ever seen. Smoked it on a V-Herf and had about a 4 inch white ash and I wasn't babying it.
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    Yep, this one is excellent. It should be mentioned in the top cigars of the year thread.