Home Cigar 101
Options

Low humidity issues

TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
So my humi is approx 1000 cubic inches, and I have a 4oz 65% heartfelt tube in there and a couple humicare pillows, and my rh sits right at 59%. the hygro is calibrated and the humi was recently re-seasoned.

should I buy more beads? should I buy a 70% tube? how much

i should point out that the humidity has dropped since adding more sticks.

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    How "Clear" are the beads?
  • Options
    quite clear.
  • Options
    Does the humi have a good seal?
    IF the humi kept quite well before than maybe a RE-Calibration (I know you already did it, but you never know)
    Other than that I'd just give it time....
  • Options
    24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    With the temperature drop... I see you live fairly close to me being in Vancouver... my humidity has gone down too. I rode a perfect 65% all summer with a temp of 70 in the basement. Well now it's getting cold and my temp is decreasing as is my humidity...in the 61% range. I moved them upstairs to a little warmer spot and it came up 2%. I think this might be at least part of your problem. Or it could be something totally different:}
  • Options
    the temps in my apartment never go below 70. so i don't think that's it.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    More beads couldn't hurt. But if your humidor doesn't seal right, that could definitely be the problem.
  • Options
    I've done the dollar bill test and it's pretty firm pulling it out. seems fine to me.
  • Options
    BTJR99BTJR99 Posts: 97
    Could the sticks have been on the dry side? Maybe put the sticks in tuperwear or ziplocks for a night and see if the humidity comes back up.
  • Options
    I put the foam humidifier back in there earlier along with all the rest of the stuff. It's up to 63% now.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    TheShaun:
    I've done the dollar bill test and it's pretty firm pulling it out. seems fine to me.
    Shaun, do you know the RH of your apartment? Is the humie sitting above or close to a heat vent or register?
    If you can pull that dollar bill through the lid then it isn't sealed well enough possibly.

I haven't seen it mentioned explicitly when discussing seasoning your humi but, make sure you also wipe the seals of the lid on both sides of the seal all the way aropund to ensure that the edge seal swells which will close up that seal so tight that the dollar bill will NOT want to come through the seal.

You know you can keep your sticks in tupperware or something similar until yuor humi is seasoned properly. Also, how often do you check your humi's RH / Temp.?
  • Options
    Just did another bill test. There is plenty enough resistance that I was afraid of ripping my fiver. I'll try the wiping down of the seal thing. As far as checking rh, it has some glass, so I don't have to open it to check. And I have never even turned the heat on in the 1 1/2 years I've lived in this building. Hope it just needs more beads or something.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    TheShaun:
    the temp inside means very little compared to the temp outside. if the outside air is cold it will not hold RH as well. heaters have humidifiers, but they are very unreliable and work questionably well.
    even though the temp in my house never gets below 65 in the winter it takes much more distilled to keep my humi at 65%. I also use 2 - 2.5 times as many beads as i should for the humidors i have.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    kuzi16:
    TheShaun:
    the temp inside means very little compared to the temp outside. if the outside air is cold it will not hold RH as well. heaters have humidifiers, but they are very unreliable and work questionably well.
    even though the temp in my house never gets below 65 in the winter it takes much more distilled to keep my humi at 65%. I also use 2 - 2.5 times as many beads as i should for the humidors i have.
    Yep - the cold winter air outside the house sucks up all the humidity inside the house, and then from your humidor. Always takes extra attention to keep the rH normal.
  • Options
    So it sounds like I'll need more beads even though I'm about 2x more than recommended as is, but they are 65% beads, so having the rh drop to 59-60% isn't much of a stretch. Maybe I should buy a tube of a higher rh. 70 or 75%. Has anyone ever combined separate tubes of different rh in the same humi?
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    So it sounds like I'll need more beads even though I'm about 2x more than recommended as is, but they are 65% beads, so having the rh drop to 59-60% isn't much of a stretch. Maybe I should buy a tube of a higher rh. 70 or 75%. Has anyone ever combined separate tubes of different rh in the same humi?
    Try throwing in a few of the pillows that come with your order. They are rated at 67%. If they work you can stick with them, or at least you know that mixing beads should work.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    make sure that the beads are charged, meaning if they are clear. I had mine drop to 58 and it was because they were white, I just charged them and now I'm sitting at 62 steady. I have 60RH beads.
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    I have mixed 65% and 70% in the same Humi... does the trick very well if you want an extra boost...

But they fight allot
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    TheShaun:
    I have mixed 65% and 70% in the same Humi... does the trick very well if you want an extra boost...

But they fight allot
    Lassy, the last bit about them fighting. Is that a joke or are you serious. Because that is my concern. How do the two types work together? Will one dominate the other? Will they work in harmony?
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    Lasabar:
    TheShaun:

But they fight allot
    Lassy, the last bit about them fighting. Is that a joke or are you serious. Because that is my concern. How do the two types work together? Will one dominate the other? Will they work in harmony?
    Mainly a joke, my Rh is a razor sharp 65-67% I leave the 65% charged and the 70% uncharged save a little dab of water and I NEVER fluctuate... I also have over 3lb. of beads in my two humidors that are about 7 cubic feet combined
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Having a similar issue that TheShaun had a little while ago; using 65% beads and can't get the rH above the mid 50s right between 53-56% currently.

I'm pretty sure it's a seal issue; not completely sold but as Laker suggested I wiped down the sides of the humidor that touch during the closure to ensure a better seal.

I generally soak the beads with distilled, but this time a used a saturated towel to allow the beads to absorb (I believe Lassy mentioned somewhere else this was a better method) at any rate what options do I have to create a better seal and get the rH up to the mid 60's or at worst the low 60's? Any help appreciated, thanks.
  • Options
    bibby:
    Having a similar issue that TheShaun had a little while ago; using 65% beads and can't get the rH above the mid 50s right between 53-56% currently.

I'm pretty sure it's a seal issue; not completely sold but as Laker suggested I wiped down the sides of the humidor that touch during the closure to ensure a better seal.

I generally soak the beads with distilled, but this time a used a saturated towel to allow the beads to absorb (I believe Lassy mentioned somewhere else this was a better method) at any rate what options do I have to create a better seal and get the rH up to the mid 60's or at worst the low 60's? Any help appreciated, thanks.
    Hey Rob, you could place the beads in a container and also place a bowl of Distilled water in the container as well. The beads will absord the moisture they require and you don't have to worry about overcharging them that way. It does take a longer, but you aren't left guessing if they have enough or not enough water in them that way.

Until you get the RH where you want it, just throw in a few Humi pillows they will keep your RH in the proper range until your beads are prepared.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Right direction or question, I was gonna say add a little more water to the beads and see if the huni comes up
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Thanks guys, I'll keep trying to get the beads to absorb enough distilled to bring the rH up. Didn't think about the humidity pillows, I've got some laying around.
  • Options
    I have a bad seal on my humi, even though it passes the dollar bill test, I have to keep some florist foam with distilled water in it to keep the humidity up....especially during winter, If you have to recharge the beads more than say once every two months , its most likely a bad seal..or some re-seasoning is in order..
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    bibby:
    Thanks guys, I'll keep trying to get the beads to absorb enough distilled to bring the rH up. Didn't think about the humidity pillows, I've got some laying around.

My suggestion is throw the beads away and buy Boveda Packs , I use the 69's and they always work perfect. Just put them in and Abra Kadabra no rh problems ever for me. They hold a constant 67-69 and thats not much variation IMHO. Not really dishin' the beads the Boveda Packs are just way simpler and idiot proof ...no charging -de charging or whatever just literally drop them in and forget about them.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Good discussion here, but a side issue...tupperware, how long can you keep stiks in a tupperware container? I have about 15-20 stiks in a tupperware container inside of my thermidor. I use two Boveda paks at 69%. Once a week I open the tupperware for a few minutes to clear it some. Will I run into problems doing this. Thinking about adding a digital hygrometer to to chek the stability. But the paks seem to be quite reliable within 1-2% RH. Temp always between 68-73 max
  • Options
    Hawk55:
    Good discussion here, but a side issue...tupperware, how long can you keep stiks in a tupperware container? I have about 15-20 stiks in a tupperware container inside of my thermidor. I use two Boveda paks at 69%. Once a week I open the tupperware for a few minutes to clear it some. Will I run into problems doing this. Thinking about adding a digital hygrometer to to chek the stability. But the paks seem to be quite reliable within 1-2% RH. Temp always between 68-73 max

You can use the tupperware for as long as you want. No problem.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Hawk55:

Yeah what Laker said. I have a tupperdor that has cedar from a dismanteled cigar box in it and some Boveda Packs and a digital Hygro ...always in good order and smokes are just fine.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Hawk55:

Yeah what Laker said. I have a tupperdor that has cedar from a dismanteled cigar box in it and some Boveda Packs and a digital Hygro ...always in good order and smokes are just fine.
    Before I got "serious" about my cigars I used Tupperware for about two years. I can't remember a bad stick coming from that container.
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Please refresh my memory on the correct rh for your cigars. Literature that came with my humi said 68-72. Is there a wider range that would be acceptable, like 65-75?