Home Cigar 101
Options

Old box of gars - how to bring back to life...

matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
A friend of mine approached me yesterday and says the he has an old box of ISOM'S (yet to be truly verified) and that he would give them to me. They are in the original package and box never opened. I have no idea what kind they are or how old. My question starts with what would be the first steps to try and recover these if even possible. Throw package and all in the humi? Leave package intact or open? I will post more info if and when I actually see these things. For now my curiosity is peaked.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

Comments

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    It depends on how long they've gone without humidification. If it was more than a year, it's probably not worth bringing it back as the oils would probably already be gone.

That being said, if it's only been a few weeks or a few months, try putting it in a seasoned humi without the humidifier. After a week or two, put the humidifier in and let it acclimate for another two to three weeks. Try one. If still too dry, leave it in for another 3 weeks.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Yes, good advice. Make sure if you are going to try to do it that you slowly raise the RH. Moving it too quickly will crack wrappers. I hope it works out. Post pics if you can I would like to see them!
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Me personally, if or before you trash them, send them to me. I’ll gladly reimburse you for shipping and or send you some cigars from my trade list that have been properly cared for their whole life span.

I had about 20 cigars from my original cigar days that for several years sat it a humidor mostly neglected. Once in a very blue moon I might have added some distilled water to the humidifier. Main point is these cigars had gone very dry. Last fall I started to try to revive them. For the most part it was a success. A couple were beyond saving with busted up wrappers but the others all held together. Yes some were so dry they burned very fast and hot but I was still able to get some pleasure out of them and enjoyed the flavors. Others I was so glad I saved them and found a couple very enjoyable and really enjoyed the flavors they offered. At the same time, many of them were off the discount shelf at a B&M but a couple were RyJ’s and other mid-priced smokes

My approach was a large zip lock freezer bag. Inside I put the cigars a hygrometer and originally a paper towel moistened with distilled water (at the time I did not have any extra humidifiers) but quickly switched it out with a very low RH Bovida pack. Then one of the Xikar humidity sticks. Kept an eye on them for a couple months and then into a regular humidor for another couple months.

In your case I would open the box to check the condition and make sure your beetle free and not dealing with a box of dust. Attempt to revive them and after some time has passed smoke one to see if you like them. Or don’t worry about any of it and I’ll send you my address in a PM :-)
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    As the other brother pointed out if the essential oils are gone you're not going to enjoy the cigar. One cannot bring back those oils even if you bring the cigars back to a proper humidification slowly...it's like reintroducing moisture to a steak that has been dried out for days then slowly adding moisture back to it...it might be juicy but you won't get the flavor you are looking for. Hopefully the box you are talking about wasn't left for more than 6 months..if so then you're going to be disappointed by the taste provoding the cigars werer truly CC's.
  • Options
    I will stand by my offer knowing full well the opinion on this forum would be that the cigars if they are dried out will be no good, if you take their advise please consider me before you dispose of them.

Personally to say something like if the oils are gone you will get zero enjoyment from them is a load of crap. Just as their are tons of different cigars out there same goes for pallets and personal tastes. One person may not enjoy the lack of oils but another might. Dont let anyone tell you that you like or don't like it until you make your own choice.
  • Options
    Well FireRob...I've got 45 years of cigar knowledge that says your opinion has no merit and your lack of courtesy pretty much tells me that you have an ego that barely lets your head through the door. If you like cigars that have no oils to them they why don't you start buying machine made cigars..Dutch Masters, Philly Blunts...etc. At the end of the day it's that member who asked the question and if they want to try to condition the cigar where it might have a modicum chance of being a decent smoke...then he doesn't need either of our opinions as he will be the judge of what he likes. While we're on the subject of courtesy...try using it in a gentlemans forum instead of spouting off like a 3rd grader.
  • Options
    Until I have time to type all I have to say to your reply. Let me say I am sorry for offending you.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Settle, settle. I don't even have the things yet. Who knows if I will actually see them. I hope I do. I am curious. I would imagine they are pretty far gone. We shall see.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    Well FireRob...I've got 45 years of cigar knowledge that says your opinion has no merit and your lack of courtesy pretty much tells me that you have an ego that barely lets your head through the door. If you like cigars that have no oils to them they why don't you start buying machine made cigars..Dutch Masters, Philly Blunts...etc. At the end of the day it's that member who asked the question and if they want to try to condition the cigar where it might have a modicum chance of being a decent smoke...then he doesn't need either of our opinions as he will be the judge of what he likes. While we're on the subject of courtesy...try using it in a gentlemans forum instead of spouting off like a 3rd grader.
    Wait a minute, this is a gentleman's forum?
    So does that make me a gentleman? I always wanted to be one of those things, but I ain't refined enough. LOL!

The one thing that a person should remember is that tastes are relative.
    Some folks smoke cigars for the enjoyment of the cigar, no matter the taste.
    Some folks love cigars, but don't have very good taste buds, so any cigar is a good one.
    Some folks have refined tastes and would never stoop so low as to try a cigar that has dried out or hasn't been properly cared for.

Personally, the machine made crack was a little uncalled for.
    Remember that this forum is a diverse group of folks with a very wide range of what they look for in a cigar and that some guys won't toss a cigar for any reason. Faulting them for that is not being a gentleman.
    If you've ever read some discussions that Mark Twain had on the cigar subject, you would find that he was one of those guys that smoked cigars for the enjoyment of cigars. He loved some of the harshest cigars he could find. It was also said he liked a lot of spices, salts and sugars on his foods, which could indicate that his taste buds were lacking. So it would seem that an icon of cigar smokers would be guilty of blasphemy.
    Something to consider.

As for bringing them back, I would agree that it would be up to the individual to determine if it is worth the effort to see how they will smoke.
    That being said, I'd have to say I'd give it a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and if they suck, it cost you nothing but a little time.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Cigary:
    At the end of the day it's that member who asked the question and if they want to try to condition the cigar where it might have a modicum chance of being a decent smoke...then he doesn't need either of our opinions as he will be the judge of what he likes.
    Once I remove all the insults, we get this ^^^. This was my point all along. I guess we both actually agree on what I said that you got so upset over.

I think ZeroPatience did a better job explaining what I was trying to say, in that every ones tastes are different. I was only trying to say that just cause one person or several people in this case, does not like a cigar does not mean everyone would dislike the same cigar in whatever condition it was in. It’s up to each person to decide what they like and make their own choice without being told what they like or won’t like

The below look familiar?
    FireRob:
    Dont let anyone tell you that you like or don't like it until you make your own choice.

Cigary:
    ...then he doesn't need either of our opinions as he will be the judge of what he likes. .

Looks like we were saying the same thing to me…

Cigary, Instead of personally calling you out by name to attack on a public forum, me acting like a 3rd grader, my huge ego has sent you a personal message.

• Options
    Personally to say something like if the oils are gone you will get zero enjoyment from them is a load of crap.

I think the above sentence is where it went south...we all have our opinions and I expressed mine and have no issue with others opinions until they start out like yours. Telling another member that what they say is a load of crap is not being a gentleman..period. If you think that's ok to tell another member then by all means continue and deal with the consequences of that kind of behavior. All you had to say is that you disagree with what was expressed.
  • Options
    Is that some kind of "gentlemen's" olive branch? I know I have apologized once. I knew I should not have deleted/edited the PM I sent you. You're a real class act and a gentlemens gentlemen, this forum and every one who graces it's pages is so lucky to have you and your 45 years of cigar experience and knowlege of being a gentlemen and all that comes with you. Thank you, for showing me the errors of my way. I am now a better human all because of you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Guys please just stop. Matkn asked a question so that he would know what to do if he decided that he wanted to rescue the cigars. If he wants to do it and still likes the flavor, then great for him. If he tries it and hates it, he can feel free to toss them or ship to Firerob. Now can we please just stop the butthurt and part from this thread as brothers?
  • Options
    ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    As cigars age the oils evaporate and crystallize on the wrapper. Dry or wet. That is called plume or bloom and is sometimes confused with mold. The main concern is the condition of the wrapper. If it is split or cracked that could be a problem. If they have not been humidified you will have to do so slowly. It also depends on how good they were to begin with. Worth a shot if still in the original sealed boxes.
  • Options
    who is butt hurt...certainly not me. Asking another member to act like a gentleman shouldn't be such a dastardly thing...it's up to him to act like an adult w/o all of the drama. If the poster wants to send him the cigars...wonderful.