Home Cigar 101
Options

Tobacco beetles

Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
What would happen if you had beetles, but didn't notice, and smoked an infested cigar? I would think you would just get sick maybe?

Comments

• Options
    rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    I think they would just pop/explode.. and then you'd notice. I do not think that if for some reason you did not notice a hole in your cigar that the cigar itself would smoke smoothly.
    You'd notice at some point, whether its a strange smell, a popping sound or a hole.

tobacco cigar with beatle holes.

• Options
    rad1964:
    I think they would just pop/explode.. and then you'd notice. I do not think that if for some reason you did not notice a hole in your cigar that the cigar itself would smoke smoothly.
    You'd notice at some point, whether its a strange smell, a popping sound or a hole.

tobacco cigar with beatle holes.

I doubt I wouldn't notice, because I always give my cigars a once over before I smoke them, and kind of feel them up, lol. I was just curious.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Damn... That makes me feel sick just to see that.. I would be soooo pissst.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Damn... That makes me feel sick just to see that.. I would be soooo pissst.
    I've been working my rear off trying to keep that from happening. I just can't seem to keep the temp down.
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    Matt Marvel:
    What would happen if you had beetles, but didn't notice, and smoked an infested cigar? I would think you would just get sick maybe?
    I was curious about that too though ive thought about it numerous times. Would it be unhealthy in any way? i cant imagine you wouldnt taste it at the very least.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've only smoked one that had beetles. Wasn't bad. I'm still alive. It was kinda funny - every once in a while one would work its way out the head-end of the cigar. I usually use a punch so the opening was fairly limited in size. I don't know whether the smoke ran 'em out or what but each time one appeared I'd just take the tip end of my pocket knife blade and remove it. There were only 2 or 3 all told. Didn't seem to affect the taste any at all and it was too good a stick to ***-can. Oh, well, maybe us old hands who grew up in Detroit are just tough enough to handle the small stuff.

Marty

• Options
    BTJR99BTJR99 Posts: 97
    jlmarta:
    I don't know whether the smoke ran 'em out or what but each time one appeared I'd just take the tip end of my pocket knife blade and remove it. There were only 2 or 3 all told. Didn't seem to affect the taste any at all and it was too good a stick to ***-can. Oh, well, maybe us old hands who grew up in Detroit are just tough enough to handle the small stuff.

Marty

HaHa that must have been funy to see. Pretty hard core to have live beetles coming out of your lit cigar and just keep smoking it.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, like I said, it was too good a stick to just toss. It was a Punch Deluxe Chateau L, as I recall - a nice, big churchill. Love them puppies.

Marty

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't ever post pictures like that again. I almost threw up. That is very disturbing and just ruined my day.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    BTJR99:
    jlmarta:
    I don't know whether the smoke ran 'em out or what but each time one appeared I'd just take the tip end of my pocket knife blade and remove it. There were only 2 or 3 all told. Didn't seem to affect the taste any at all and it was too good a stick to ***-can. Oh, well, maybe us old hands who grew up in Detroit are just tough enough to handle the small stuff.

Marty

HaHa that must have been funy to see. Pretty hard core to have live beetles coming out of your lit cigar and just keep smoking it.

Thats minor compared to some things you have eaten if you eat out at restaurants very much ...I'm just sayin ...
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've had beatles and smoked two that have been infected... I froze my sticks before smoking so the bastards were dead, but one tasted just fine and the other had such a loose draw I tossed it.... Didn't taste bad, just was like smoking a straw
  • Options
    ViseronViseron Posts: 35

I've never had any trouble with beetles *Knock on wood* but I don't think that I could smoke one that had any in it. Just the though makes me want to run to my humidor and check everything (unfortunately i'm at work).

• Options
    Viseron:

I've never had any trouble with beetles *Knock on wood* but I don't think that I could smoke one that had any in it. Just the though makes me want to run to my humidor and check everything (unfortunately i'm at work).

Most likely many cigars you've smoked has had some type of beatle on it... either larvae or a young beetle...
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    Viseron:

Most likely many cigars you've smoked has had some type of beatle on it... either larvae or a young beetle...

I can handle thinking that. But if anything that I can see starts crawling out, then I might just throw my cigar as far as I can and scream like a little girl.

• Options
    Viseron:
    Lasabar:
    Viseron:

I can handle thinking that. But if anything that I can see starts crawling out, then I might just throw my cigar as far as I can and scream like a little girl.

2nd-ed
  • Options
    Viseron:
    Lasabar:
    Viseron:

You know the FDA has a certain ratio of critter parts that they allow to be in your food enabling it to be shipped? It's pretty gross.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just don't like bugs. I would freak out if I was smoking and a bug came out. I actually did go and check every stick in my humidor.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I just had the alien hatching scene from Alien pop into my head...

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Matt Marvel:
    Viseron:
    Lasabar:
    Viseron:

You know the FDA has a certain ratio of critter parts that they allow to be in your food enabling it to be shipped? It's pretty gross.
    Isn't it somewhere around 1 beetle's worth of bug parts per gallon of peanut butter or something? Not a big deal, a little protein never hurt you.
  • Options
    http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/06/29/how_many_insect_parts_and_rodent_hairs_are_allowed_in_your_food.htm Scroll down a bit, and you can find out what is allowed in certain foods. I'm trying to find it on the FDA's website, but it seems to be down right now.
  • Options
    I think they have the same stuff for our water and such...

That's why I only make my own peanut butter... oh wait, I mean Butt Butter
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    That's funny Viseron , because I did that very thing. And one of my cigars had to go into isolation. Probably nothing, but just to be safe ...
  • Options
    BTJR99BTJR99 Posts: 97
    I think I'm with the toss the stick and scream like girl group! Lol And now thanks to you guys I think I'm a little scared to eat.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I'd rather gobble a fistful of beetles than think of Lassy's butt (aka duck) butter again. Now I know what Mexican Elvis used as lube.
  • Options
    Luko:
    I'd rather gobble a fistful of beetles than think of Lassy's butt (aka duck) butter again. Now I know what Mexican Elvis used as lube.
    !
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Luko:
    Zing!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Viseron:
    Lasabar:
    Viseron:

LOL. Exactly what I was thinking! They creep me out - the thought of one crawling out of the end of my cigar and into my mouth... ugh!!!
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    lasabar, is that what some cigars with a loose draw come from? the mowr i had today had a VERY loose draw, too good to toss though. could it have had beetles?
  • Options
    tshaw:
    lasabar, is that what some cigars with a loose draw come from? the mowr i had today had a VERY loose draw, too good to toss though. could it have had beetles?
    I would assume that a loose draw on a cigar would be due to either just bad rolling of the stick or not enought tobacco. I don't think it would mean beetles every time. I can see beetles causing a loose draw, but not every cigar with a loose draw will have beetles.
  • Options
    tshaw:
    NO, a loose draw is usually an Rh problem or loosely filled cigars.

I would assume that a loose draw is 99% the cigar rollers fault or the Rh in your Humi (mostly the roller is my belief)

If you see holes in the sides of you cigars or you noticing a distinct POPPING whilst smoking, than maybe it's beetles