Home General Discussion

I'm Back and have a hygrometer question!

Hello everyone, I don't post a lot but I love reading and learning from what everyone has to say. I kind of got out of the hobby for a year or two but I'm back into it and have just changed the dead batteries in my two hygrometers and got my humidors back up and running. My question is when I salt tested and recalibrated my hygrometers they read 82% and 84%, I understand it's been almost two years since they were calibrated to 75% but what causes the hygrometers to lose their calibration and how often should they be recalibrated?

Comments

• WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I like to do mine every 6 months, or whenever I get suspicious. Really? 68? Even though I've had the door open for a bit? I should've seen you drop a couple percent or three. I bet you've locked up. Pull it out. Wait. No change. Yup. Reseat the battery. Back in business. Better calibrate just be sure.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got rid of all analog anything to do with cigars. I found this to be far far superior.

• edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Between 6 - 12 months i recalibrate and i use the boveda calibration kits. So worth the few bucks. Using the salt test i found it to be unreliable.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Bodeva is the way to go to calibrate. I have 2 hygro's each in my larger humi's, one on top, the other on the bottom. Usually they are within 1-2% but if one seems higher I switch them see what happens. The last batch of hygro's I bought about a year and a half ago, and haven't had to re-calibrate them yet.
  • e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    Checked the humidors last night, the small 25ct read 68/72 and the 100ct read 68/68. I appreciate the info.