Home Ratings & Reviews

Anotrher Black Pearl Limited Production....

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
...La Pearla Habana Black Pearl Ivory Band.

Now, I always smoke a new to me cigar as soon as I get them. So this is not a pro or con post.

No rest and no aging. More for curiosity then anything else. it does help with comparison's after some R&R.

I lit one up and before I knew it my room was in a total fog and exhaust fans and white sage were put to use, never saw so much smoke.

After some initial problems with the foot...cracking.... sparks sputtering...and such, it settled down to a very even burn with a steady and mild flavor. I was smoking it kinda fast and as expected the last quarter or so got just a bit funky but still worth finishing. No surprises during the entire smoke. I think with some aging this is going to be a very good cigar, just like the yellow band. And just like the yellow band it is a limited production and I am kicking myself in the hind parts for not trying these sooner because, again like the yellow band, they are getting harder to find.

Comments

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Is the same one as the La Perla Habana Ivory Robustos on sale in the clearance area or something different?

If they're the same ones, a very nice BOTL sent me a couple to try out. I love the La Perla Habana Morados and the original Black Pearl is nice as well. But I had the same problems you had--cracking foot, lots of smoke. But I just didn't get into it because I'm really not a fan of mild cigars and was expecting the usual La Perla "oomph." It just didn't pack enough flavor for me. Not a bad cigar, but not one that's particularly distinguishable.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had the ivory's, but the yellow band you sent me was pretty damn good! I had a few of the morados and they had an interesting profile but weren't my favorite. I think I still have one or 2 left. I believe the rojo was pretty good as well.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    I haven't had the ivory's, but the yellow band you sent me was pretty damn good! I had a few of the morados and they had an interesting profile but weren't my favorite. I think I still have one or 2 left. I believe the rojo was pretty good as well.

The first "yellow" band was a gft, and if I remember correctly it already had some decent age on it. Then it sat in my humidor for a pretty good while and when I did smoke it I was impressed. I bought a Black Pearl sampler, smoked one and was not nearly as impressed. So being a rocket scientist I figured out that a little age was a good thing.

The "Ivory" is also a limited run and I again moved too slow to garner a decent number of them.

The point I was trying to make is that even with the lighting problems it produced no surprises and was consistent from beginning to end and I think that this is another Black Pearl that will benefit from some aging. It produced some strong hints that it could be a very good coffee mate first cigar of the day.

Glad you enjoyed the "Yellow" band Oro.
    Well, while checking my humidors for color changing crystals I found one in my Black Pearl box. So, I was forced to pull an Ivory label to smoke and check for any damage. After only 8 days the spark sputtering light is gone. It burns clean and with a ton of smoke. It has gone from a very mild to a much fuller and flavorful draw. And the aroma is somewhere between a camp fire and toast, can't pin it down and I am sure with more age it will change. I really wish I had more of these and if they introduce another limited run I will buy them before they are all gone.
    jd50ae:
    Well, while checking my humidors for color changing crystals I found one in my Black Pearl box. So, I was forced to pull an Ivory label to smoke and check for any damage. After only 8 days the spark sputtering light is gone. It burns clean and with a ton of smoke. It has gone from a very mild to a much fuller and flavorful draw. And the aroma is somewhere between a camp fire and toast, can't pin it down and I am sure with more age it will change. I really wish I had more of these and if they introduce another limited run I will buy them before they are all gone.

I had to use my nub stub to finish it, never got bitter.