Home Cigar 101
Options

Favorite Style?

BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
I'm very new to this site and fairly new to cigar smoking.  As such, I have some questions.  I was wondering, what is your favorite style of cigar and why?  I tend to like the big Churchills just because they seem to give a longer enjoyment time, but I just placed an order for my first set of Torpedos.  What are the benefits of one style over another?  What can I expect from the Torpedos that is different from the Churchills?  Also, does your favorite syle change with different brands of cigars, i.e. like a robusto for one cigar, but prefer a toro for something else? 

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think the size preference changes depending on the cigar. For example, in the Padilla Miami I think the torpedo is the best size, but in the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet I think the #4 (corona) is the best size. It's all relative to how the blend works, of course some cigars it just doesn't matter what size you have it in because it will be fairly similar throughout the sizes.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Size difference is also a bit about the time commitment you can make. I am in college, so I smoke a lot of robustos. Also, if you smoke outside, you wont want to sit down and enjoy a churchill in mid december.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    betasynn:
    Size difference is also a bit about the time commitment you can make. I am in college, so I smoke a lot of robustos. Also, if you smoke outside, you wont want to sit down and enjoy a churchill in mid december.
    This is why I mainly buy robustos as well - two hour smokes are great, don't get me wrong, but I typically don't have that much time, or don't necessarily want to take that much time.

My favorite size to smoke is probably a Salomon, though. The ones I've had always seem to change a bit in flavor as the cigar changes in thickness - always interesting.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BStayer:
    I'm very new to this site and fairly new to cigar smoking.  As such, I have some questions.  I was wondering, what is your favorite style of cigar and why?  I tend to like the big Churchills just because they seem to give a longer enjoyment time, but I just placed an order for my first set of Torpedos.  What are the benefits of one style over another?  What can I expect from the Torpedos that is different from the Churchills?  Also, does your favorite syle change with different brands of cigars, i.e. like a robusto for one cigar, but prefer a toro for something else? 
    Welcome aboard. As you will hear often on this site, try different sizes in various samplers and see what you like best. I tend to like the Churchills too, but have purchased many torps also.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy toro's on some cigars, usually thick ring gauges. I also enjoy robusto's and torps. Not a huge lancero fan. I try to stay in the 5x48 to 6.25x55 range.
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    I prefer the toro. I really like the gauge to be 50 to 54. I've had a 60 gauge before, it was good but a little too big. I prefer the toro for the burn temperature and the duration of the smoke. I will be getting some robustos shortly for a quicker smoke option and will probably break down and try some nubs.
  • Options
    I usually go for robustos just cause I usually don't feel like smoking for more than an hour. There are some cigars out there where certain sizes are better than others so I make exceptions there.
  • Options
    nickgonzonickgonzo Posts: 146
    What j0z3r said. The size and shape of the cigar helps determine flavors etc. I've always like dtorpedos and figurados for some reason.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    doggie style...wait a minute...I was thinking this was another website. Oh yeah cigars! I like torpedoes and robustos.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    doggie style...wait a minute...I was thinking this was another website. Oh yeah cigars! I like torpedoes and robustos.
    Damn, beat me to it by and Hour and Half... oh well
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    jsnake:
    Great minds! 'Nough said.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jsnake:
    Lasabar:
    jsnake:
    Great minds! 'Nough said.
    Maybe I shouldn't have sat you two together back there. It seems like you are a bad influence on each other.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I dig Coronas and other small cigars but not cigarillos. I haven't noticed a different in taste yet but the time set aside for smoking is huge to me I like the 30-45min range. Though I do want to try the Flor de Oliva 1066 just for the novelty of it.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Favorite is the torpedo followed by the toro.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I'll smoke just about anything, but I have heard and somewhat believe that the figurado shapes (torpedo and perfectos, etc) are given to the more experienced rollers and usually burn better.
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    ironhorse:
    I'll smoke just about anything, but I have heard and somewhat believe that the figurado shapes (torpedo and perfectos, etc) are given to the more experienced rollers and usually burn better.
    You pretty much hit on the heart of my question(s). I can understand how a torpedo or perfecto would be given to only experienced rollers, and therefore, should be a better smoke than another style. But I just didn't know if this was really the case. Theory and practice are many times, worlds apart and being relatively new to smoking, I wasn't sure if theory dictated the practice.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you look in my signature you will see a "blending 101" thread. othe top of page two hits to the root of the figurado question. its about the constantly changing wrapper to filler ratio. anything like a perfecto, or a pyramid i am all about. beyond that i am starting to like the smaller ring gauge cigars more and more... again because of the better wrapper to filler ratio.
  • Options
    OldsguyOldsguy Posts: 11
    Hmmm, never thought about that wrapper/filler ratio before but that is a valid point for preferring a smaller ring size, assuming the wrapper would be more preferable than the filler to a person. 5X54 to 5.5X58 is my favorite range of sizes they usually last me about an hour. I usually smoke a CAO Gol which fits in that size range but recently smoked an Anaconda which is a monster at about 7X58. That cigar also had the nipple on the end which made it really easy to light. Wow! that cigar was premium, I really liked it but it took well over 90 minutes to smoke it.