Home Cigar 101
Options

Butane - Fill me in

TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
What's the difference between butanes? I have a Ronson lighter. Does it matter what kind of butane I buy?

Comments

• Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    In my experience, no it doesn't make much of a difference, the only reason I tossed the cheap stuff I had laying around is because the plastic nozzle wouldn't make a seal and fill my lighter. So I bought a can from Vector almost a year ago for 8 bucks and I'm barely halfway through it.
  • Options
    nickgonzonickgonzo Posts: 146
    ronson fuel sucks. Zippo butane is better but idk i like Vector too
  • Options
    ViseronViseron Posts: 35
    The cheaper butane has a habit of gunking up lighters, at least in my experiance. I also have a can of the vector butane, it's great stuff.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just recently started using a butane lighter. Supposedly, the purer the butane, the less problems you will have with a butane lighter getting gunked up by impurities. I bought a can of Xikar triple refined at my B & M and have not had any problems.

It was $3.99 for the can and it will last me a long time based on what I've had to use so far.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Viseron:
    The cheaper butane has a habit of gunking up lighters, at least in my experiance. I also have a can of the vector butane, it's great stuff.
    ditto
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    phobicsquirrel:
    Viseron:
    ditto
    ditto...love the vector quintuplus
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I use Lava butane myself. They claim it is the most refined butane you can buy...I don't know if all their claims are true, but it works damn good and that's all I care about.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I use Zippo Butane from the P.O.S. shop by my house... I paid $8 for it and judging by what you guys are paying for Xikar... I was paying ALOT
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Damn Lasa, $8 for some butane?? First time I used some no so good butane, and my lighter was having issues. Then I bought a can of Xikar, it's been flawless since.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Any thoughts on the Colibri refill?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    TheShaun:
    Is that the one that has the interchangeable or throw away butane catridges???

My B&M told me that they are a nice gimmick, but technically you can refill the cannisters that you are supposed to throw away... so you can buy a couple and then just keep refilling!
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    TheShaun:

My B&M told me that they are a nice gimmick, but technically you can refill the cannisters that you are supposed to throw away... so you can buy a couple and then just keep refilling!
    Don't think so. It was a big thing but like $8. I wound up buying a can of Scripto, which I think might be a Canadian thing. But it was recommended by the most reputable B&M in town and it was about $4.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    TheShaun:
    Lasabar:
    TheShaun:

Don't think so. It was a big thing but like $8. I wound up buying a can of Scripto, which I think might be a Canadian thing. But it was recommended by the most reputable B&M in town and it was about $4.
    I have about 4 cans of it and it works fine for me. But, I have a lot of butane at home. I also have 2 of the Vector and 4 of the Nibo plus a can of Zippo and I had a few Prometheus that are now gone.