Home Non Cigar Related

If you don't have a dog you won't understand.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sophie is a lab boxer mix who lives under my desk and has just started venturing out and exploring her surrounding areas.

Sophie was part of a litter that someone dumped in the middle of the road late at night and found just in time by my wife.

Sophie had the biggest fenced in area all to herself, she constantly romped and played, she was friendly and never tried to escape, but once. We had given up finding her when out of the blue after at least 4 months my step daughter spotted her while just driving around. She has one white eye and one blue, hard to miss. So the rescue team went out and my wife saw her and Sophie saw my wife, came over and rolled on her back, I think she was glad to be found. Skinny and buggy. She was brought home, washed and made a house dog. Slowly she put on weight and got healthy. But she won't leave the space under my desk except to go out do her business which she communicates by pacing back and forth at my bedroom door. She is scared to death when a thunder storm hits and won't leave my side, including jumping in bed with me if the storm comes at night. I have spent many a nigh sitting at my desk just to comfort her. She never barks or growls.

For the past two weeks Cally has been going under the desk and playing with her....I think that broke the ice. She will now come out and asks to be brushed, and will wonder around the bedroom. And when she goes out she will play tag with the outside dogs. She is such a sweet dog, loves to be petted and it is plain gratifying to see the change. I like dogs.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like turtles,........and dogs.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I like turtles,........and dogs.

My step daughter likes frogs and dogs. Her dog is named Charlie and is the strangest dog I have ever seen....no one knows what breed or mix the little guy is.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Baby steps!
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    This reminded me of my Buddy Chi Chi, he was found beaten, starved and dumped off up in the Grey Eagle CA mountains by a wonderful older couple while they were hiking the mountain on there camping trip, they said it took them the whole day to get him to come to them and get food, as soon as they gained his trust they packed up and got him home to Reno here took him to the vet and blessed my family with him, It took a while to gain his trust, and fatten him back up my wife would cook chicken bre@st and rice & add a half can of tuna every day for him for awhile until he started looking better and decided on his own to eat the dog food out of Lu Lu's bowl. For the first year if he wasn't in either my wife or my lap he would "hide" between my chair and ottoman, or in the corner behind the dinning room table, and would hide under my bed every night until he was let up in bed with us, then one day just like that he decided the world was ok again and started being back to normal, would finally play with Lu Lu, and my son and wanted to sleep with Lu Lu in her bed on the floor, we had a great couple of years after that before he had to go. Sure do miss that guy
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story JD. I found Sam and Molly his sister two beagle hound mixes abandoned at a dumpster site in Dec. They were maybe six weeks old. I caught Sam and couldn't catch Molly but I went back the next day and finally caught her. Those two spent the next month in my studio hugging up on my woodstove. We had Cleo, a border collie then and Wina, a husky mix, Wina, and Cleo and Molly, three alpha fems didn't get along. Our friend Betty from Indiana came to visit and took Molly home with her. Both Sam and Molly lived long dog lives and were spoiled, Sam by us and Molly by Betty. Cleo was fearless except for lightning and when a storm struck at night Cleo would stick her nose and head under my neck and pry me out of bed. Dogs give so much, never a dull moment.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, JD, I like dogs quite well as long as they belong to someone else. I'm basically a cat person. Here's a shot of my rescue kitty:

photo CA64A9CF-F5A2-4780-BF14-3AFDBE8AB117.jpg
    She was only about 3 months old but about to be put down when my wife and I rescued her.