Home Cigar 101

Re-Seasoning Humi ...

gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
My main Humi is working perfectly. It has not been seasoned since I first got it about 18 months ago. Just for the he_ll of it I re-seasoned it the past 24 hours. Question: How often do you guys re-season and do you do it when you start to have a problem or stick to a certain time interval. I use the Boveda Packs (69) and this Humi has never given the first moments problem but I felt compelled to re-season anyway ...maybe I'm just obcessive compulsive ...I don't know ...

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    My main Humi is working perfectly. It has not been seasoned since I first got it about 18 months ago. Just for the he_ll of it I re-seasoned it the past 24 hours. Question: How often do you guys re-season and do you do it when you start to have a problem or stick to a certain time interval. I use the Boveda Packs (69) and this Humi has never given the first moments problem but I felt compelled to re-season anyway ...maybe I'm just obcessive compulsive ...I don't know ...
    I actually would never think to re-season... My thought is that it's all about humidity, humidity encompasses the entire area it is in, so the wood should be at the same Rh as long as you keep it up.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think a humi could get UNseasoned unless it was left open with no cigars. But I'm dumb, so don't pay attention to me
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Lasabar:
    gmill880:
    I actually would never think to re-season... My thought is that it's all about humidity, humidity encompasses the entire area it is in, so the wood should be at the same Rh as long as you keep it up.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think a humi could get UNseasoned unless it was left open with no cigars. But I'm dumb, so don't pay attention to me

Like I said I'm probably just obsessive compulsive ...
  • Cole54Cole54 Posts: 18
    I did it a little while back, though I really just did it because I wanted to check my inventory and I figured while I had them all out might as well re-season. Though like Lassy said, I doubt it is even necessary however IDK either way.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    IMO, there is no need to re-season. I would never do it unless I had a problem. If I have a properly functioning humidor, best case scenario is it works exactly the same afterwards. Worst case, it gets screwed up somehow and you have a PITA getting it back right.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    One2gofst:
    IMO, there is no need to re-season. I would never do it unless I had a problem. If I have a properly functioning humidor, best case scenario is it works exactly the same afterwards. Worst case, it gets screwed up somehow and you have a PITA getting it back right.
    This is what I was thinking. Today, I took out the gel jars that I've had in two of my humidors and replaced them with humidity beads, but I simply got sick of the massive fluctuations in humidity due to the weather changes. My beads will take care of that over the next few days. :)
  • SgtRickSgtRick Posts: 75
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it"...........a wise man once said.