Home Cigar 101

Cork

smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
I found this really awesome humi, but its lined with cork instead of spanish cedar. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Also when they say that a humidor is "lined" with spanish cedar typically how thickly lined is it?
  • I can imagine that cork would absorb moisture very well, but as far a flavor?...
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    T. Gervais:
    I can imagine that cork would absorb moisture very well, but as far a flavor?...
    These are good points, and here are my concerns more extrapolated:

A) We all know that Spanish Cedar holds a relative humidity point of 70% - that's why it's so popular for humidors in the first place. Cork, on the other hand... so it will absorb humidity - to what point? Will it also release it? I don't know the answer to this.

B) Spanish Cedar smells amazing, and this is another thing that we typically count on when opening our humidors, as well as imparting some essence to our sticks. Is cork going to have the same effect? This I strongly doubt.

Just some thoughts bro!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Is it an antique humidor? I was reading on the CA website that they used cork to line some during the 20's and 30's. I don't know about performance. But it would be cool to have one.
    Im thinking that I can just take out the cork and replace it with spanish cedar.
  • chuck86chuck86 Posts: 18
    Got a pick? i'de like to see what this baby looks like.
    NM it was on ebay, and the bidding has ended. Boo.