Home Non Cigar Related

New build, quest for 1200 yards

firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
Hi boys, I wanted to start a thread about a new toy I'm building for LRS (long range shooting). As a few of you know, I am a avid hunter/shooter and just recently got into LRS. My experience with LRS to this point is a 300 yard range not to far from my house. My goal is, 1200 yards.

A little about the gun I am using as a donor. Around 30 years ago, my parents bought me a Savage 110E 30-06 for my first rifle, this gun would down many deer, coyotes, and hundreds of water filled milk jugs. In the last 6-7 years I haven't had the time to big game hunt, so the old girl has sat in the basement gathering dust.
Earlier this year I help RO (range officer) a sniper shoot here in Colorado. 125 shooters from around the nation shooting at ranges 100 yards to 1 mile. Needless to say, I had a good time. I talked with as many of the competitors as I could about building a rifle that would be used for LRS and how to best go about putting one together.
This leads me back to the old 30-06 my dad gave me, turns out it can be brought back to life as a precision rifle.......... score!

First thing was to dump the old wood stock. Not worth much, wasn't a good piece of wood to begin with. Then it came to the expensive part, researching and buying all the needed parts to put the old girl back together.
So far I have found a barrel, (that alone took 3 months to locate) and bolt parts.
Below is a pic of my old barrel and action, and the new 30"(with the muzzle brake) barrel in 300WM
photo FullSizeRender_zps6f0679b8.jpg

And here is the new tactical bolt handle next to the old one.
photo SubstandardFullSizeRender_zps4d38a77b.jpg

Parts that are coming in this week are the rest of the bolt parts that will change it from a 30-06 to a 300 Win Mag, and the bolt body that was sent out for fluting.
Also this week I will be ordering the chassis (new stock), which will take about a month to get. I will be also sending my action and barrel to my gun builder to have the new barrel installed, and brake installed and clocked.

Stay tuned, and we will build this old girl together........

Comments

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Here is the trailer for the sniper shoot I RO'd a few months ago, GREAT fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvNDYHrpiys

“2014 Sniper's Hide Cup Trailer”
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you. My eyes and hands are no longer good for such pastimes, but I still remember the long one.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very very cool Brett! Thanks for sharing man and what a cool build and beautiful parts! Looking forward to watching this come together and watching it shoot ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    90+ Irishman:
    Very very cool Brett! Thanks for sharing man and what a cool build and beautiful parts! Looking forward to watching this come together and watching it shoot ;)
    You even get to pull the trigger bro ;)
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Be interested to see how this goes. About to finish my 2nd AR. Have the parts just need to finish.
    firetruckguy:
    90+ Irishman:
    You even get to pull the trigger bro ;)
    Hell yeah! Thanks brother :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Current build. Have the rest and just need to get it done. Furniture is Mission First Tactical which I just found Walmart carrying. Our local Walmart has a bunch of new AR accessories and MFT is top notch stuff. The have flip up sights similar to MagPul that I am adding in black.

• BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    Some day I will build a long range gun. This is my current try. Remmington 700 in .308.
    Brianak:
    Some day I will build a long range gun. This is my current try. Remmington 700 in .308.
    That is a thing of beauty bro!

Stretch her legs yet??
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I do good at 300 yards but never gone further. There is a 1,000 yard range here but I cant even see the end or targets so no way I could do that. Would be fun to try though. Good luck man.
    Not yet. Had it slmost a year and never fired. Need decent optics. Also want to replace the trigger.
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's just outstanding! Good to see an old rifle brought back to life with a new purpose.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
    Brianak:
    Beautiful 700! Did you get the Kryptek dip done after you bought it or did it come like that?

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
    Had a local guy, Alaska hydrographics dip it for me. Turned out really nice. Going to start a new AR build and have them dip it. Just need to decide on a new pattern.
    Brianak:
    Had a local guy, Alaska hydrographics dip it for me. Turned out really nice. Going to start a new AR build and have them dip it. Just need to decide on a new pattern.
    Im sure you know the site, but I found a tone of info and colors off AR15.com. This was my precision AR build I did earlier this year.

photo IMG_0144_zps241e3dd0.jpg

photo IMG_0146_zpscee463c0.jpg
    Nice rifle. What upper is that?
    That's killer brother, first time I've seen it... Thing of beauty!!
    Brianak:
    Nice rifle. What upper is that?
    Gibbz side charge, I put a big old scope on her and the top charge gets in the way of the rear scope. I sold her off to pay for the precision build.....
    Parts due in today are the fluted bolt body and bolt parts to make her a magnum. Also due in are some 220 gr custom comp bullets, daddy's happy today...........
    firetruckguy:
    Parts due in today are the fluted bolt body and bolt parts to make her a magnum. Also due in are some 220 gr custom comp bullets, daddy's happy today...........
    I'd love to see pics of that bolt.

jbohon:
    firetruckguy:

Here you go brother

photo gun_zps9eb42b38.jpg

And some long range .308 cal projectiles.
    photo gun2_zps2a161bda.jpg
    firetruckguy:
    jbohon:
    firetruckguy:

Here you go brother

Oh man that is beautiful! Where did you find that one? I'd looked into doing a Rem700 build once and thought about a spiral fluted bolt but I'd never seen one like that!

firetruckguy:
    Brianak:
    Im sure you know the site, but I found a tone of info and colors off AR15.com. This was my precision AR build I did earlier this year.

Damn non-Californians. No bullet buttons, normal capacity mags, etc... Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Don't mind me, I'm just jealous... I always wanted to do a side charge.

jbohon:
    firetruckguy:
    Brianak:

Damn non-Californians. No bullet buttons, normal capacity mags, etc... Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Don't mind me, I'm just jealous... I always wanted to do a side charge.
    NOOOOO we are a 15 round max state, I just had a crapload of mags waiting for that day to come.

Nice thing about the side load is I never needed to take my eye out of the cope to charge it. I also had the Magpul B.A.D lever, made dropping the bolt just as easy as charging it.
    What is a bullet button? I have 10, 30 and 40 round mags.
    firetruckguy:

I remember when you built this beauty. That new bolt is just bad a$$ looking. Been seeing a lot of new modifications to bolts lately to reduce weight and just look cool.
    jbohon:
    firetruckguy:
    jbohon:
    firetruckguy:

Here you go brother

Oh man that is beautiful! Where did you find that one? I'd looked into doing a Rem700 build once and thought about a spiral fluted bolt but I'd never seen one like that!
    I sent my old bolt body to Sharp Shooters Supply, and they did the fluting. Sent it on a Thursday and had it back the following Wednesday. I think they charged me 57.50$ with return shipping. They will also color the flutes with about any color you want.
    firetruckguy:
    jbohon:
    firetruckguy:
    jbohon:
    firetruckguy:

Here you go brother

I sent my old bolt body to Sharp Shooters Supply, and they did the fluting. Sent it on a Thursday and had it back the following Wednesday. I think they charged me 57.50$ with return shipping. They will also color the flutes with about any color you want.
    Ah crap. That website is going to cost me money. If my wife calls you, well, just best not to answer the phone... lol

Thanks for the info!

My wife is picking me up a stripped lower as I type this message. Time to start a new build.
    jbohon:
    firetruckguy:
    jbohon:
    firetruckguy:
    jbohon:
    firetruckguy:

Here you go brother

Ah crap. That website is going to cost me money. If my wife calls you, well, just best not to answer the phone... lol

Thanks for the info!

Check out the forum at modern savage firearms.com, and snipershide.com. Then she will really hate you, ;)