Home General Discussion

Humidified Shipping and COTMC

LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
Just a quick question about the Cigar of the Month Club. On C.com it states Humidified shipping, and my first COTMC shipment had a water pillow, but this last one did not.

Not a big deal but this last shipment took almost 10 days to get to me and with temps in the upper 80's low 90's and no humidity for 10 days I checked my humidor 5 days after I put the sticks in it and the humidity was at 60% at 68degrees. My girlfriend said she checked it (she does this daily for me, God bless her) earlier than me and said it read 54Rh (but I can't confirm it for I did not see it) and still to this day after filling my two large discs of beads up the humidity is still low (at 73degrees and 64Rh)

On this last round, did you guys get the water pillow?

I emailed the C.com guys, but no replies yet

Nate

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Mine did not have a pillow in fact it wasn't even in a bag, it was in that cello they wrapped around the cigars. I was quite irritated with this actually because mine too took forever to get to me.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Exactly... Mine had a thin film over it and that's it... These are gonna have to rest a LONG time before I smoke them...

I want that Man 'O War though! That thing looks good, and I definately want to try something when it's brand new and on the ground floor of distribution!
    I smoked it. It was ok, had some burn issues fromt he trip but the flavor wasn't all that. If I get another shipment like that I will be cancelling my COTMC, no doubt about it.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    ...wow, thats very disappointing. I hope it was a fluke or somthing, protection durring shipping should not be skimped on for cigars, thats no way to cut costs!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Just a quick question about the Cigar of the Month Club. On C.com it states Humidified shipping, and my first COTMC shipment had a water pillow, but this last one did not.

Not a big deal but this last shipment took almost 10 days to get to me and with temps in the upper 80's low 90's and no humidity for 10 days I checked my humidor 5 days after I put the sticks in it and the humidity was at 60% at 68degrees. My girlfriend said she checked it (she does this daily for me, God bless her) earlier than me and said it read 54Rh (but I can't confirm it for I did not see it) and still to this day after filling my two large discs of beads up the humidity is still low (at 73degrees and 64Rh)

On this last round, did you guys get the water pillow?

I emailed the C.com guys, but no replies yet

Nate
    Mine came shrink wrapped on a cardboard backing, no water pillow was needed. I got it really early I was happy with the condition and speed of service this month..
    Hmmmm... Looks like they like you better than me Kas... Maybe it's because I didn't send them a christmas card this year

The condition was okay, I don't think anything was cracked or chipped, and there WAS a couple of bags of air for protection, but the time factor is what was bad. Stoopid July 4th!
    That shrink wrap does nothing for holding humidity, its just protection and to me is an unacceptable wasy to ship cigars. They still need to be in a ziplock bag. They water pillow is a nice touch but not necessary the plastic bag is necessary. IMO
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    hmm... i hope this isnt a new thing for them. i just got a few camacho havannas from them and they are being shipped out today or tomorrow... we'll see.
    madurofan:
    That shrink wrap does nothing for holding humidity, its just protection and to me is an unacceptable wasy to ship cigars. They still need to be in a ziplock bag. They water pillow is a nice touch but not necessary the plastic bag is necessary. IMO
    Well 'ya learn something new every day.. I thought shrink wrap was okay for the few days it took to arrive.. Stilll they were in goog shape, but are still going through the normal adjustment period in my humidor before I enjoy them..
    That shrink wrap is the same thing as the cello on the cigars, usually. Plus its not air tight. It does prevent any damage from happening to them but does nothign for RH levels.
    madurofan:
    That shrink wrap is the same thing as the cello on the cigars, usually. Plus its not air tight. It does prevent any damage from happening to them but does nothign for RH levels.
    Okay Maddy, so the same shrink wrap that is placed on factory Sealed boxes of cigars does not offer protection against damaging conditions when cigars are shipped.. I have received several boxes of cigars and they were not shipped with pillows or any form of humidity in the shipped package.. With that being said Do you store your new boxes of cigars with the shrink wrap on or off.. I always open them up even if I do not intend to smoke them for a while..to hasten the aging process I also enjoy that smell of cedar and tweny five brand new babies...
    p.s. just a follow-up Cigar.com did not disappoint. I got their response and I am pleased to say that I am totally satisfied with their service and products
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:
    Okay Maddy, so the same shrink wrap that is placed on factory Sealed boxes of cigars does not offer protection against damaging conditions when cigars are shipped.. I have received several boxes of cigars and they were not shipped with pillows or any form of humidity in the shipped package.. With that being said Do you store your new boxes of cigars with the shrink wrap on or off.. I always open them up even if I do not intend to smoke them for a while..to hasten the aging process I also enjoy that smell of cedar and tweny five brand new babies...
    With a box it keeps the box from coming open at any point but I don't believe it is adequate for retaining moisture on its own. The cedar box itself does that. But yes I definetly take the plastic off the boxes. I didn't mean to be such an @$$ about this but my cigars came to me dry and I'm never happy about that. They weren't dried out but the tobacco at the foot was definetly a little dry.
    Lasabar:
    p.s. just a follow-up Cigar.com did not disappoint. I got their response and I am pleased to say that I am totally satisfied with their service and products
    Good to hear, they've always taken care of any situations that arrive.
    apparently it was only with the COTM this month. my package had a water pillow in it and i was very happy with how it all went down.
    kuzi16:
    apparently it was only with the COTM this month. my package had a water pillow in it and i was very happy with how it all went down.
    I was waiting for you to jump in on this thread. What do you think of my assessment of the wrapping materials and the box wrapping?
    iduno. i was thinkin about that. im not sure what to say because you sond right. my thought on shrink wrap is that it does get air tight. why else would they pack meat with it ?
    I could be wrong.
    maybe alex knows. whenever i get a box onlinie it gets to my house with just shrink wrap on it. Its not in a zip loc or anything and there is no water pillow. Ive never had an RH problem from that. I dont think shrink wrap is from organic material like cellophane is but that doesnt mean it isnt porus.
    this is a toughie.
    Yea it is tough. What they pack meat in feels way different than what cigar boxes come in. I don't know just my opinion here. I think the cigar box is what is holding the RH not the shrinkwrap.
    even the best wooden humidors lose their RH over time. and the boxes cigars come in are by no means "the best" ...it is a tough call.
    Right but I just mean the time it takes for them to ship to you. It is a tough call, I don't know ....
    and what about the time to ship from factory to cigar.com? doenst this add up?
    youd think they would put something over it to protect it a bit.

its a guess at best on my part. maybe someone out there would know better.
    Yea maybe, ALEX?, ALEX?