Home Cigar 101
Options

Turning Green

ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
I am somewhat new to cigars and have 3 a week or so, but it seems like 1 out of every 5 makes me almost throw up. I'll smoke after dinner almost every time and I try not to smoke too fast and sip water. 2 hours for most cigars. Now the fuller cigars are usually the culprits....DPG Cuban Classic, Ashton VSG, etc but not always... I thought I would be used to it by now given that I am going on close to 6 months. Anyone have any random tips to help?

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    ironhorse:
    I am somewhat new to cigars and have 3 a week or so, but it seems like 1 out of every 5 makes me almost throw up. I'll smoke after dinner almost every time and I try not to smoke too fast and sip water. 2 hours for most cigars. Now the fuller cigars are usually the culprits....DPG Cuban Classic, Ashton VSG, etc but not always... I thought I would be used to it by now given that I am going on close to 6 months. Anyone have any random tips to help?
    That's going to happen, my suggestion would be to take a look at what you are eating, the bigger the meal, the more it will help to counter-effect the strength.
    Also I would look at the area you smoke in... if it's not outdoors, take a look at ventilation, after you taste the smoke, if it still sticks around in the room then you will keep inhaling it, which can make you turn green....
    Hope this helps
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    If you are just starting I would recommend starting with the milder cigars first such as Macanudo, 5 Vegas Gold, etc. The full bodied cigars have a higher nicotine content in them and from what it sounds like your body hasn't built up it's tolerance. I think the only cigar to ever make me turn green was the RP Olde World Reserve. It's definitley a full bodied smoke and I made the mistake of smoking it on an empty stomach, but at least I didn't puke! Like I said, if u start mild and work your way up over time, your enjoyment of cigars will also increase with time.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Thanks Guys, I think that my ventilation may be the problem. I do smoke indoors in a small room with a exhaust fan to outdoors, but I will try making it more open to get fresh air.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    ironhorse:
    Thanks Guys, I think that my ventilation may be the problem. I do smoke indoors in a small room with a exhaust fan to outdoors, but I will try making it more open to get fresh air.

The fresh air will help alot
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy the complexity of a full bodied cigar. I find myself getting hammered by them when I do anything physical such as mowing the grass or walking for a mile or 2 at work. I got sick the other day after smoking a CAO La Traviata but I think I came down with a bug and it wasn't the cigar. However, since then I have only been able to smoke 1 small cigar. Every time I open my humidor and smell my cigars my stomach rolls. I seriously am upset about this. I am not a pu$$ and have no idea why I am giving myself a mind ****. I am sure it is all in my head but my stomach seriously goes nuts. Anyone else experience anything like this?
  • Options
    jsnake:
    I really enjoy the complexity of a full bodied cigar. I find myself getting hammered by them when I do anything physical such as mowing the grass or walking for a mile or 2 at work. I got sick the other day after smoking a CAO La Traviata but I think I came down with a bug and it wasn't the cigar. However, since then I have only been able to smoke 1 small cigar. Every time I open my humidor and smell my cigars my stomach rolls. I seriously am upset about this. I am not a pu$$ and have no idea why I am giving myself a mind ****. I am sure it is all in my head but my stomach seriously goes nuts. Anyone else experience anything like this?
    Sounds like hell to me...im the same way with water chestnuts.....hope it never happens with cigars!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    jeff_connors:
    jsnake:
    Sounds like hell to me...im the same way with water chestnuts.....hope it never happens with cigars!
    Wow, that's messed up. Me and tequila don't get along after I got in a fight with a bottle once. Same idea - mental thing probably. If your cigar aversion doesn't go away - I'd invest in therapy. Can you imagine... "So, mr snake, why are you here today?"
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    You might try sticking a sugar cube under your tongue when you find yourself getting sick. I haven't tried it but I have heard that it works from a few members that have.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    That happened to me the other day for the first time and I thought I might be coming down with something. But after reading your post, I realized that I had just finished mowing the lawn, which takes me an hour and a half and I had not eaten. I was woozy and sicker than a dog. The good thing is there is no after effect and smoking is OK. But I will keep that in mind before I smoke a full-bodied cigar in the future. Thanks.
  • Options
    That's a problem I never had. My first smoke was a cigar when I was 8, so now the fuller the better.
  • Options
    Garen B:
    You might try sticking a sugar cube under your tongue when you find yourself getting sick. I haven't tried it but I have heard that it works from a few members that have.
    I use dates for this, super sweet and the cleanse the pallet very well.
  • Options
    I am heading out now to mow the grass and I am going with a 5 Vegas Gold. I just ate lunch and drank 2 huge cups of water. Cigars are on my mind and my stomach is fine. Just went hunting in the humi with no problems today. WHEW!!
  • Options
    jeff_connors:
    Garen B:
    I use dates for this, super sweet and the cleanse the pallet very well.

How do your dates feel about this behavior Jeff !?!?!?
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Same thing happened to me a few weeks back with an oliva master blends III .... sitting down outside near the fire with lots of air and just got done eating some pizza and wings ..... the cigar just didnt taste pleasant and shortly after it tasted like a rabid animal crapped in my mouth .... when i got up to go inside to take a leak i got to the bathroom and called a few dinosaurs ..... just minimal ..... i felt better right after that though.....
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'd say open up dat windah... let your little pinkie's get some freshy...

What the H3ll did I just say?
  • Options
    Did ok smoking a 5 Vegas Gold while mowing.
  • Options
    SlickRSSlickRS Posts: 44
    This use to happen when I would smoke to fast. Take your time and enjoy it. After your body gets used to it you will be fine.
  • Options
    BTJR99BTJR99 Posts: 97
    The only cigar that made me really sick was the CAO Criollo. It was a very good smoke then when I got down to the band it started to go out on me and i started puffing a bit more to keep it going. Within a few minutes of frequent puffing I gave up on it and went in the house. Thats when I got the spins and came very close to throwing up. laid on the couch for a about 45 min before i was back to normal.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Only cigar to ever make me puke is La Flor chisel natty. Twice actually but I still love that cigar.
    Usually though Im fine. I will regularly smoke full bodied cigars in the morn on an empty stomach. Had cain maduro like that with no probs. Havent tried with the La Flor but am tempted, its like training ha ha.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    am i the only person here that never gets sick from any cigar ever?
  • Options
    its possible, you are super kuzi......I also think that your brain doesn't respond to nicotene because its actually a computer full of cigar knowledge
  • Options
    ironhorse:
    its possible, you are super kuzi......I also think that your brain doesn't respond to nicotene because its actually a computer full of cigar knowledge
    does not compute,does not compute,does not compute,does not compute,does not compute,.....
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ... it must be the pace we all smoke cigars. The rate of nicotine intake causes an overload, and Blaah ! I will try to really slow down on the "suspect sticks" and see how I do.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    I seem to usually catch more of a buzz in my head then the gut. I will often times feel disoriented or maybe even a little nervouse rather than sick in the stomach. Not sure which is worse.
  • Options
    gaberox:
    Not sure which is worse.
    it all depends on how much you like to puke.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    gaberox:
    Not sure which is worse.
    it all depends on how much you like to puke.

Thats a valid point ...
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Man I've gotten sick a couple of times... Never thought about eating first. I took it as a sign that I need to smoke more.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Man I've gotten sick a couple of times... Never thought about eating first. I took it as a sign that I need to smoke more.
    LMAO - now that's a true cigar aficionado ;-)
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Never had a cigar turn me green and I enjoy some of the most full-bodies cigars out there. I started off with full bodied cigars. I got green once while smoking in a shop with very poor ventilation and a bunch of other guys around me smoking. Even the guys who weren't smoking at all were getting green. With my experiences, I'd have to say that ventilation is key.
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    I'm kind of an odd one too. I've ever even felt anything from a cigar, not even a nicotene buzz let alone turn green...maybe I"m doing something wrong.