Home Cigar 101

Define 'Wavell'

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Can someone define for me the term 'Wavell'? I've searched a bit on the web without success. Thanks....

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you use it in a sentence?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Can you use it in a sentence?

Sure. I smoked an E.P. Carillo Wavell this evening. I liked it better than the La Gloria Cubana Wavell I had last week.

How's that? ??
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hadn't really thought about it, I guess I just assumed they decided to make up a new name for there Robusto. I'm sure someone will know why and let us know ;)
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Gary Korb, Exec editor at CigarAdvisor:

Based on my research, the cigar is named for the famed British Field Marshall, Sir Archibald Percival Wavell. But I also asked Ernesto Perez-Carrillo, who created the La Gloria Wavells, and now manufactures his cigars under the E.P. Carrillo Cigars imprint...

[Carrillo] “As far as I know, the cigar was named after the British General. The first time I heard it was Dos Gonzalez Cigars n the early 1980s. Efraim Gonzalez, who owned Dos Gonzalez used the Wavell name..."

Maybe you had seen this and wanted more? Or I stumbled across what you were looking for. I didn't look into who exactly this is or why he'd have a cigar vitola named after him.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Gray. Yeah, I learned of Sir Archibald but didn't turn up the bit about Dos Gonzalez naming a cigar after him. I appreciate your help, kind sir.... ??