Home Pipes

Types of pipe tobacco question

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So ive been looking into pipe tobacco more and more recently. Ive seen quite a few different cuts and packaging styles... Flake, Broken Flake, Curley Cut, Rope, Plug and a few others I cant remember. lol Ive only had "ribbon" cut tobacco... What are the differences between the other cuts? Is there a flavor or quality difference in them or is it all strictly presentation?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Good question. Some is in the presentation but I think it is more than that too. Flake and cakes press the tobaccos together and allow the various tobaccos to marry more, I think. Plug is often the state of the tobacco that ends up as flake it was simply cut but for some reason plug often seems to have stronger flavors but that might just be because of the way I cut it too. Rope is by far the strongest tobaccos I have smoked to date. Something about the way they process it allows for more vitamin N. They are the only tobaccos I cannot smoke on an empty stomach. Plugs and ropes also seem to have more moister so they take longer to dry. Other cuts like ribbon and shag are done to help with smoking. Shag will smoke quicker, typically, then ribbon. The thinner the cut the quicker it burns. I like shag as it is perfect for a mid morning smoke break when I can get them.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Great info! :) thanks for the response I was leaning on sticking with ribbon cause it's easy to work with and seems to be the more common of the cuts. Might venture into flakes later on down the pipe smokig road but not for now. :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I think you will find other types enjoyable too. If you want to experiment a little. You can always work with C&D. If you have a favorite blend from C&D you can always order directly through them and ask it to be pressed. I think they do this for 1 lb. purchases and charge 3 dollars but you could then compare what you like in ribbon form vs. how it changes when pressed. This of course would not be nearly as radical of a change than ribbon vs. flake or cake that has went through the full process of setting, soaking in its own juices and even having some heat/steam applied it the tobaccos in the process but it would give a basic idea of how something as simple as pressing ribbon together can reflect small changes/smoothness, etc. in the flavor profile.