Home General Discussion

Does the price tag fit?

youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
When I was at the B&M today I was looking at prices and noticing that virtually every stick in the place (that I would enjoy smoking), was at least $8 - 10.

SO, the point of this thread is to point out sticks for other botl's that are worth shelling out the extra few bucks for a test drive even though they are in that mid / top shelf price range.

For example: I can't get Sindicato pigtails from anywhere online, but it's a $10 smoke in the store. Is it worth it? Have you recently purchased something you feel you absolutely overpaid for?

It might be cool to list one stick you don't think fits its price tag and one that is justifiable. . .

Here's mine: Flor de las Antilles robusto $8 - worth every penny
Oliva Connecticut toro $7 - I overpaid by at least $6.50
ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    youngryan216:
    When I was at the B&M today I was looking at prices and noticing that virtually every stick in the place (that I would enjoy smoking), was at least $8 - 10.

SO, the point of this thread is to point out sticks for other botl's that are worth shelling out the extra few bucks for a test drive even though they are in that mid / top shelf price range.

For example: I can't get Sindicato pigtails from anywhere online, but it's a $10 smoke in the store. Is it worth it? Have you recently purchased something you feel you absolutely overpaid for?

It might be cool to list one stick you don't think fits its price tag and one that is justifiable. . .

I think that my father price is a decent deal considering it's almost $7 here for a single then add shipping, etc. now, the Opus are way overpriced at most places. The tat tattoo is usually worth it.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:

What DID Oliva DO to you!? Whatever it was, it must have been horrible. You poor thing.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    I want to like them because they are a big presence in my local shops, but every Oliva line I have tried has been a bad experience. Had the connie, the O, the V . . . Am I missing the good stuff?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never think about whether a cigar is worth the price.
    I do consider whether I will buy it again.
    You'll drive yourself crazy if you put monetary value on cigars.
    Wait until you find your unicorn cigars and find out that you paid an inflated price for a cigar that you had too high of expectations on. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    0patience:
    Wait until you find your unicorn cigars and find out that you paid an inflated price for a cigar that you had too high of expectations on. LOL!

The "unicorn" concept is what I'm getting at here. I'm trying to see if other guys have overpaid on a hyped up stick ( cough...The Banker...cough) and wanted to share their experience. Monetary value is very subjective, but you always know when you've been let down.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    0patience:

The "unicorn" concept is what I'm getting at here. I'm trying to see if other guys have overpaid on a hyped up stick ( cough...The Banker...cough) and wanted to share their experience. Monetary value is very subjective, but you always know when you've been let down.

LOL! Yep, I've paid too much for unicorn cigars.
    No question about it.
    But one other value of a unicorn cigar is being able to say, "I had one of those."
    Even better is when you are able to give one of those extremely hard to find cigars to someone else and it blows them away. That feeling is even better than smoking them, in my opinion.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    I see your point about being let down by a cigar's "reputation". And sometimes reputation builds price. I wasn't extremely impressed by my first opus x. I expected myself to be extremely impressed. It was a good cigar for me but not special. I've had better at lesser prices.

And Oliva is a solid line in my humble opinion. I could probably smoke nothing but Olivas and all their line extentions (Cain Nub ect.) and be pretty happy with that. Just goes to show you how individual tastes WILL vary.
    youngryan216:
    I want to like them because they are a big presence in my local shops, but every Oliva line I have tried has been a bad experience. Had the connie, the O, the V . . . Am I missing the good stuff?
    I'm fond of the G and the G Maddie and The O. But, Keep trying, you might find a few you like.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a tough question!! IMO some smokes are worth every penny where some fall very short. I think if you really want it go for it since you'll never really know unless you pull the trigger.
    Money can't buy taste
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    I'm there with you. I've tried the O, the G, the Melanio and the Saisson. None of them did anything for me except give me a headache and unearned stinky breath.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    If it's a rare cigar that I've been looking for then ill pay over $20 each for. But mostly I come in with cash in hand...and when the $60 bucks or whatever is gone it could be with two sticks or 8 it all depends on the find
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say Davidoff is worth the spend. I would pay the price in a B&M because I know I am going to enjoy it.
    I would also say that Ashton is not worth the price (in my opinion. I know people love them). I like their cigars, but I don't get anything special out of them and the price point is over the top. Have only tried a couple and enjoyed them, but would choose something else for the price.
    rsherman24:
    I would say Davidoff is worth the spend. I would pay the price in a B&M because I know I am going to enjoy it.
    I would also say that Ashton is not worth the price (in my opinion. I know people love them). I like their cigars, but I don't get anything special out of them and the price point is over the top. Have only tried a couple and enjoyed them, but would choose something else for the price.
    I've never had a Davidoff, but $20 for a robusto at the B&M? Those things better taste like royalty.
    youngryan216:
    rsherman24:
    I've never had a Davidoff, but $20 for a robusto at the B&M? Those things better taste like royalty.

They Do.
    Alright then, I'm down in that case. I'll smoke one next special occasion. Which one should I pop my Davidoff cherry with?
    Crap, i double posted. Um...anyone had a Julius Caesar or Diamond Crown and been satisfied with the amount spent?
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    Ashton Heritage is one of my favorite smokes!
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    I like sun grown stuff a lot, is the Ashton sun grown as good as their classic line? Worth a try for $10 at a B&M?
    youngryan216:
    Alright then, I'm down in that case. I'll smoke one next special occasion. Which one should I pop my Davidoff cherry with?

LOL. Easy now. You need to use your own judgement if you want to spend the money and try one. If you are a MOW fan, you may hate the Davidoff. They are more on the mild side so you may be better off with a high end Padron (also well worth the money in my opinion). This is a very subjective hobby so if you run out and buy every cigar someone tells you is good, you will spend a lot of money on cigars to find a few you like. Find someone with similar taste or a reviewer who you agree with. Talk to guys at your B&M and see what they buy.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    youngryan216:
    I'm there with you. I've tried the O, the G, the Melanio and the Saisson. None of them did anything for me except give me a headache and unearned stinky breath.

I won't count the Saison...one note. Not a bad note, but an average cigar. But the O and G are good smokes. The Melanio is one of my favorites, and the CT is one of my favorite morning smokes with coffee.

Melanio was my first box purchase. I have one left in my humi just now (not from that box) that I just found a couple of days ago. Nice surprise because I thought I'd smoked or sent all of them away. I need to restock on these and the CTs.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Master Blends is def my fav offering from Oliva.....have you tried that one?
    If you look around the web, Master blends 3 (MB3) robustos can be found for around $5/stick on sale .... definitely worth that $ if you ask me

The connie is a good morning smoke but only if I can find it on sale, MSRP is too high IMO.
    Same goes for the V .... lancero is probably the tastiest vitola of that line but don't love it enough to pay MSRP all day long.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

I need to try the master blends Oliva for sure. And I love MoW but how can a man not love a good connie?
  • It does if you win them White Ninja!!!!!
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the situation.wife and hit the local cigar bar this evening and I always bring a few of my own,but I always buy one or two there.I feel its proper ettiquite.I know I'm paying more then I would but it is what it is!!!
    no matter where you go, there you are.

OldBoots:
    It does if you win them White Ninja!!!!!
    WTF?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    youngryan216:

LOL. Easy now. You need to use your own judgement if you want to spend the money and try one. If you are a MOW fan, you may hate the Davidoff. They are more on the mild side so you may be better off with a high end Padron (also well worth the money in my opinion). This is a very subjective hobby so if you run out and buy every cigar someone tells you is good, you will spend a lot of money on cigars to find a few you like. Find someone with similar taste or a reviewer who you agree with. Talk to guys at your B&M and see what they buy.
    I too am a davidoff fan. but i agree with all the advice given here. i know that im in the minority with padron but since everyone else likes them there is a good chance you will as well.

i dont think you should "pop you Davidoff cherry" with a Davidoff.

try an Avo XO, or an Avo Classic. those two are a bit cheaper but have the classic Hendrik Kelner blending style. they also have the same quality as Davidoff because they are firsts.

if you dont care about quality and think its worth risking a bad burn (though i have yet to see any) try the 3x3s or the 4x4s that you cna get on this site. they are Davidoff "seconds". i mean, they arent "true seconds". they are the cigars that the new rollers make to learn how to make cigars. they have the classic Davidoff blending style as well. If you like any of those cigars then you may like Davidoff.

as far as what Actual Davidoff you should try first...

the Davidoff 2000.
    its inexpensive for the brand and is fantastic. if you dont have access to them then go to the Millennium Blend, then the classic blend

if you like fuller cigars and you are still interested in Davidoff then check out the Davidoff Nicargua, or the Davidoff Maduro (one of my all time favorite cigars)

just stick to the regular production Davidoff lines. the LEs are not a big step up in quality but they are a huge step up in price tag.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I'll tell ya, getting used to internet sales will make all the prices in a B&M seem overpriced. When I go into a shop for a smoke I know I'll pay more for the ability to buy one single stick as opposed to a box or a 5/10 pack as well as the opportunity to smoke in the store.

With that in mind, I seek out the brands I can't get online easily or for a discount because they are price protected. Fuente usually ends up being a purchase as well as something new I haven't tried yet. I think Fuente is priced well, even Opus X if it isn't being gouged. Perdomo is priced very well.
    bigharpoon:
    I'll tell ya, getting used to internet sales will make all the prices in a B&M seem overpriced. When I go into a shop for a smoke I know I'll pay more for the ability to buy one single stick as opposed to a box or a 5/10 pack as well as the opportunity to smoke in the store.

With that in mind, I seek out the brands I can't get online easily or for a discount because they are price protected. Fuente usually ends up being a purchase as well as something new I haven't tried yet. I think Fuente is priced well, even Opus X if it isn't being gouged. Perdomo is priced very well.

Well said. I enjoy Perdomo as well and the Lot 23 is usually a great value for me at around $5 for a toro.
    kuzi16:
    rsherman24:
    youngryan216:

I too am a davidoff fan. but i agree with all the advice given here. i know that im in the minority with padron but since everyone else likes them there is a good chance you will as well.

i dont think you should "pop you Davidoff cherry" with a Davidoff.

try an Avo XO, or an Avo Classic. those two are a bit cheaper but have the classic Hendrik Kelner blending style. they also have the same quality as Davidoff because they are firsts.

if you dont care about quality and think its worth risking a bad burn (though i have yet to see any) try the 3x3s or the 4x4s that you cna get on this site. they are Davidoff "seconds". i mean, they arent "true seconds". they are the cigars that the new rollers make to learn how to make cigars. they have the classic Davidoff blending style as well. If you like any of those cigars then you may like Davidoff.

as far as what Actual Davidoff you should try first...

the Davidoff 2000.
    its inexpensive for the brand and is fantastic. if you dont have access to them then go to the Millennium Blend, then the classic blend

if you like fuller cigars and you are still interested in Davidoff then check out the Davidoff Nicargua, or the Davidoff Maduro (one of my all time favorite cigars)

just stick to the regular production Davidoff lines. the LEs are not a big step up in quality but they are a huge step up in price tag.

Kuzi, I have already dabbled in the AVO Classic and XO, once each before, and was very happy with them. I have a feeling I'm going to be buying these "seconds" after I taste one of these Davidoff 2000's and can't afford them hahahah.
    Sidenote: I can't seem to find the 2000 on the site. Am I missing something?
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Sidenote: I can't seem to find the 2000 on the site. Am I missing something?

Search skills.

1. Go to cigar.com
    2. Type "davidoff 2000" in the search bar
    3. Click the search button
    4. Click on the first result