Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Christmas Trees

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you live in the east and buy a Frasier Fir chances are it will come from the mountains of north western NC. I live in Avery County and tractor trailer loads of trees have been going out of here for the past three weeks. There is supposed to be 2,500,000 trees come out of here this year. Hel- my mail man has 10,000 he is growing at this time. It takes about seven years at 3000 ft elevation to grow a six footer and there is only one payday but most everyone that has land grows trees. A lot of growers get paid in cash and there are probably many mason jars of bills buried in back yards. Retail sales are almost always cash. Trees are safe to grow because they don't need plows and discs pulled by tractors. In this country all up and down tractors turn over and folks get killed. We do have a seasonal large comunity of folks from Mexico and Central America that work hard in the trees. Salt of the earth folks. So, if you get a Frasier Fir it probably was grown within a 20 miles from my house. Enjoy your tree!

Comments

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get a Frasier or a Douglas every year, they hold their needles the best and smell great for the duration. It's good to know where the actually come from. Thank you for the information, I like the idea of smaller family grow farms over huge company's.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a lot of local farms which grow them up here too. Big business. You can take the family out and pick out a tree to cut down, feed some animals, etc. Spend a couple hundred to get a tree that will be in the compost pile in a month. This will be the baby's first Christmas so looking forward to it this year.