Home General Discussion

Humidor Project

Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
Has any of you guys build or converted something into a humidor? I use tupidors now and like them a lot but something in the back of my mind is calling me to a "traditional" type humidor. I also starting to enjoy booze more for the flavor and was thinking about trying to convert or build a armoire into a humidor and liquor cabinet. any thoughts or advice, maybe just talking about it will make the feeling pass, lol
The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 

Comments

• wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    hmmm thoughts?? get to work your gonna need it
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Haven't done it, but your post made me think of a fairly easy project that might work for you. You could probably find something like this two-piece armoire in most second-hand stores for cheap (or maybe a family or friend has one). Chop out the lower section, and then build an open-face Spanish cedar box to insert into the lower opening - make sure to leave space for a door that can fit inside the existing doors. Front this with your choice of doors (glass, wood, etc) and seal it tight. In the upper section install some shelves and a hanging rack for glassware - enjoying spirits is more than just the bottle, you really have to have the right hardware too. The whole thing closes up tight with the existing doors, and you have an excellent piece of furniture for your interests.

inside armoire photo 102_2361.jpg
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful when cutting spanish cedar. I've read that the sawdust is carcinogenic and also, if that wasn't bad enough, some people can have severe allergic reactions if they breath the dust suspended in the air, or skin reactions to contact with fresh sawdust of spanish cedar.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Be careful when cutting spanish cedar. I've read that the sawdust is carcinogenic and also, if that wasn't bad enough, some people can have severe allergic reactions if they breath the dust suspended in the air, or skin reactions to contact with fresh sawdust of spanish cedar.
    Spanish cedar sawdust is carcinogenic? No way do I want that next to my cigars!!! :-)
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Bob Luken:
    Spanish cedar sawdust is crcinogenica? No way do I want that next to my cigars!!! :-)
    I don't believe it's carcinogenic, it is a severe irritant and some people are a lot more sensitive to it than other types of sawdust. Even with a good paper mask it will have a dramatic effect on my sinuses, I use a full chemical respirator.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Whatever it is, keeps us posted on the project. I think it would be really cool when complete.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Yikes Bob! making me have second thoughts, I was thinking about using cigar boxes as a liner with the cool brands and logo on them, hmmm may have to take up a collection on cigar boxes now.
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n!