Home Non Cigar Related

Tankless water heaters

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Do you have one? What brand? How do you like it? How much was it to have a plumber/technician install it? We are in the market for hot water that lasts more than 5 minutes in the shower. lol
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have looked and looked at them. They are expensive to purchase and install. The last price I looked at (Lowes) was $750 just to buy. We would need 2 Whole House types and I will wait till I hit the lottery. The individual ones (for each water output, faucet) would be even more costly (every water source) but you may want to look at them if you are only concerned about one shower.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Were you looking at gas or electric?
    Gas. But we could use either. My understanding is gas is much better for this system.
    I heard gas is the way to go for a tankless system. But I found a few electric ones that would handle our house pretty well and come at a decent price... I just have no clue what it would cost to install. lol
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gas is the way to go with these. no way to estimate how much to install without seeing the house, there's just too many variables to consider, if your existing hot water closet is located on an exterior wall it will be simpler and cheaper.
    onestrangeone:
    Gas is the way to go with these. no way to estimate how much to install without seeing the house, there's just too many variables to consider, if your existing hot water closet is located on an exterior wall it will be simpler and cheaper.

Most excellent point. If you have a Lowes or other type store they will give you an estimate and their estimates are usually right on. Both of our heaters are on outside walls and I remember being told this is a good thing.
    Ours is on an inside wall... About 8 feet inside the house. lol
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So your options are, move the water lines or buy the double wall stainless exhaust duct. you just have to compare the cost each way. is the current tank gas or electric? the electric tankless heaters use a lot of energy.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most tankless need their own 30A 220V breaker....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Most tankless need their own 30A 220V breaker....

+1
    I looked at installing a tankless system about a year ago and decided against it because of the added cost of adding another or upgrading my exisiting electrical boxes