Home General Discussion
Options

xikar v-cut vs Colibri?

Hey...
Thinking of adding a nice v-cut to my 'toolbox.'
I saw this article:
http://halfwheel.com/v-cutter-shootout-colibri-v-cut-vs-xikar-vx-v-cutter

These seem to be the obvious front runners.
The author seems pretty sold on the xikar.

What caught my attention about the Colibri is the EXCELLENT deep/wide cut it makes. Check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRPjHG31p3U

My question is ... has anyone here tried both of these? I like the idea of a really deep/wide cut for nice open draw, but of course the xikar warranty is pretty impressive.

Thoughts?

P

Comments

• Options
    C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    Xikar all the way, The Colibri is to deep.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Bought 1 last year love it. But I smoke mostly robusto's and like the deeper cut. Think I've only used the guillotine a couple of times since, on smaller rings. Haven't done the double cut yet, maybe I'll try it on my next 60 ring smoke.

I wanted to try something different too and was leaning towards the v-cut over the punch. I'll get a punch eventually anyways, but for now I'm happy with this. Try it, you'll like it. lol
  • Options
    The3Stogies:
    Bought 1 last year love it. But I smoke mostly robusto's and like the deeper cut. Think I've only used the guillotine a couple of times since, on smaller rings. Haven't done the double cut yet, maybe I'll try it on my next 60 ring smoke.

I wanted to try something different too and was leaning towards the v-cut over the punch. I'll get a punch eventually anyways, but for now I'm happy with this. Try it, you'll like it. lol

You didn't say which brand you got. I'm curious.
    And I smoke mostly robustos also.

p
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I"d take Xikar over Colibri any day because it has a better warranty. If you want the best cutter out there for a V Cut...then I"d say a Boston Cutter. They sell a small one called the Lil Guy and I bought one about 15 years ago and it has never had to have any service and it works perfect but it's not cheap. It's a Cats Eye Cut which is different from the regular V Cut....a Cats Eye cut starts shallow and then cuts deeper as it gets into the middle portion and then leaves with a shallow cut at the end. The point of this is to ensure that your V Cut is deep enough to help the draw. There are copies of this cutter out there but they are fakes.....they don't work very well.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about that, it is a Colibri. I think it was Kelly I was ordering cigars from and mentioned I wanted to try a v-cut or punch. She said her dad used a notch cut all the time, so I thought if he raised such a charming daughter he must have good sense. Good enough for me.

I have a number of guillotine cutters and the Xikar is definitely better a cut then the Colibri there. But very happy with my Colibri v-cutter. It's my 1st so nothing to compare to either.