Home General Discussion
Options

need help, a strange in-lounge cigar experience yesterday

Hi guys:

I need some help trying to make sense of a strange experience i had yesterday.

I'm within close proximity of 2 cigar lounges. I usually hit the closer one. Now, note, I'm still a 'newbie.' I've probably smoked a grand total of less than 30 premium cigars in my life, & I only smoke at lounges.

Anyway, I went in with the intent of trying something 'new'... the Oliva Serie O. It was very odd. It didn't seem to want to 'smoke.' Had a nice glowing red end when I'd puff away on it, but had very minimal smoke output... & when I'd put it down for a little bit (say, 30 seconds or less) & then pick it back up, I'd really have to puff away at it to bring it back to what little life it had.
I finally gave up. It was very dissatisfying. So, I went to a 'known quantity' for me, the E.C. Chupacabra. SAME THING. Even tho I had experienced this stick to be a great smoke in the past, it was behaving the same way. I made it about 1/2 way thru & then gave up.

I ended up going to Lounge #2, and had a totally enjoyable smoke there.

ANY IDEAS?
Did I inadvertently choose two overly new or overly old sticks? Humidity issue in the humidor? The 2 other guys in the lounge puffing away didn't seem to be having trouble or complaining about their experience.

This was a first for me.... (and I might add, a flush of $20 down the toilet).

P.

Comments

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One could be a fluke. But two would leave me to believe they need to check their humidification, fast.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is strange, Paul. Given the fact that you had the same problem with two different cigars, my guess would be that there was a humidification problem in the store's humi. Did the sticks seem moist?
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say for sure, my best guess is that they were over humidified. both of these smokes generally preform very well. What did it feel like in the lounge? I've had similar problems but it's been when it's raining outside. sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, it happens sometimes
  • Options
    onestrangeone:
    Hard to say for sure, my best guess is that they were over humidified. both of these smokes generally preform very well. What did it feel like in the lounge? I've had similar problems but it's been when it's raining outside. sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, it happens sometimes

Hi guys...
    Thank you all for your thoughts on this.
    Here in Chicagoland it's been brutally cold and yesterday was no exception. In the lounge itself it was toasty warm. The walk-in humidor didn't seem any different to me--but as I say, I'm not there every day.
    The cigars themselves *felt normal to me (again, me being a total newbie). The Oliva was in a tube & had a normal 'dry' feel to its outer wrapper. The Chupacabra was in a box with others & also felt normal [to me].

I'll have to try the Serie O again some time, but given the expense of the 'hobby,' I'm feeling a little gun shy about this place now. I might stay away for a couple of months & then dip my toes back in tentatively.
    I know we all have our own reasons for doing this, but for me a cigar is supposed to be one of the 'good things' of life... a bright spot in an otherwise difficult week or month, so it was very disappointing to experience what I did. Thankfully, I had an alternative location not too much further away.

P.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you mention it to any other patrons, or to an employee of the lounge? If it was an issue with their humidor, it should have been happening to others as well. The lounge I frequent encourages customers to speak up with issues, bad burn/too tight/bad construction/etc and will offer to replace a cigar for free if it's a legitimate complaint.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc:
    Did you mention it to any other patrons, or to an employee of the lounge? If it was an issue with their humidor, it should have been happening to others as well. The lounge I frequent encourages customers to speak up with issues, bad burn/too tight/bad construction/etc and will offer to replace a cigar for free if it's a legitimate complaint.
    Yes. Ditto this.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like humidity issue. One way to be safe is to buy a stick there, but bring a different one to smoke. I do this sometimes as many B&Ms have a higher humidity than I like, even if it isn't "over humidified" problems like that can easily happen at 70% rh.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc:
    This is exactly what I would've said, as well. Don't feel gunshy about the lounge, but maybe DO have a conversation with them the next time around, explain what happened, and how you're just getting started. Under normal circumstances (if that happens again), let them know right away and I've found most places would generally replace the stick.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    I found your problem. . .you lit up an Oliva.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    You are such a hater. I hate that.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Paul, just an idea, did you possibly cut these two sticks differently than you typically would? The only reason I bring this up is because you said you were newer at smoking cigars. Is it possible you cut too little off the cigar leading to a poor draw?

If this ever happens to you again, I would also second the "go talk to an employee" approach. I think of it this way, if I owned a store, and a customer was having a difficulty that could cause them to no longer shop at my store, I would want to know about it.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    youngryan216:
    You are such a hater. I hate that.
    Well I hate that you're hating on my hate!
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    Hey guys
    Thanks for your thoughts & suggestions on this. I *would've* felt a little bit strange about saying something to the management--being I'm such a newb & it seemed like others were enjoying their smoke--but next time, if there's a next time, I will say something.

P
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    p.aulmartin:
    Hey guys Thanks for your thoughts & suggestions on this. I *would've* felt a little bit strange about saying something to the management--being I'm such a newb & it seemed like others were enjoying their smoke--but next time, if there's a next time, I will say something. P
    Don't ever hesitate with asking us or store owners a question. A significant amount of cigar sales are to people who rarely smoke cigars at all and know very little about them. People like us on this forum are the extreme minority. Enjoy your cigar, no matter what.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Over-Humidified. Hate that.