Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Wrong generation?

D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
Give me a cigar, some bourbon, and i'll put on a happy face. Not that I don't like modern music but give me Frank, Tony, Dean any day of the week. I'm 33...

Comments

• Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Regrets, I've had a few. I did what I had to do. I saw it through without exemption. I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway...but more, much more than this, I did it my way.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Good music is good music, you been drinking young man?
    Grew up listening to them and still do, Herb Albert was playing in the background lot's too. There was always music at home in the background growing up. Country back then was different than now but always liked Johnny Cash, Charlie Pride, Johnny Horton. Some of the old blues, do they call it "slapping", just a harmonica and knee slapping, lol body instruments. Mostly listen to blues or classic rock but have been known to put on some classical when in the mood. Actually anything but opera.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Grew up listening to them and still do, Herb Albert was playing in the background lot's too. There was always music at home in the background growing up. Country back then was different than now but always liked Johnny Cash, Charlie Pride, Johnny Horton. Some of the old blues, do they call it "slapping", just a harmonica and knee slapping, lol body instruments. Mostly listen to blues or classic rock but have been known to put on some classical when in the mood. Actually anything but opera.
    What's wrong with opera? I like it along with all you mentioned.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    Give me a cigar, some bourbon, and i'll put on a happy face. Not that I don't like modern music but give me Frank, Tony, Dean any day of the week. I'm 33...

Thats beautiful bro, nuthin wrong with classics, or opera, I'm an exception, being a musician since I was kid I like everything from The RatPack, to Katie Perry, Redman and Method Man to Job for a Cowboy
    Bottom line if the music speaks to you , then ROCK IT
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all over the place when it comes to music. Morning drive , Talk radio (sports) then 90's rap and then anywhere from classic rock to todays hits. Afternoon drive, jazz and classical.
    When it's my turn to do dishes, it's usually dubstep and trap. When I mow my lawn, a mixture of Primus, BUcket Head, Sepultura, Mudvayne, Static X .....
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All over the place. Old fashioned R&R, real Blue Grass, The Rat pack, Big band, Etta James, Chicago Blues, New Orleans Jazz, Phil Oakes, Buffy St Marie, Folk music, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Vasti Jackson and so many more.

Never really cared for the Beetles or Rap.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit weird in what I listen to as well, growing up building and wrenching cars in the Garage with Pops introduced me to classic rock which I still listen to predominantly today, but I also do a lot of country, instrumental, modern rock and a little Pop. Listen a lot to... Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Boston, Dire Straits, Steven Stills, Elton John, Jesse Cook (fav instrumentalist), John Mayer, Eric Chruch, Lee Bryce, Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line, Kenny Chesney, Maroon 5, Matchbox 20, Mudvayne, Rise Against, Sense Fail, Disturbed, Slipknot, Killswitch Engage, Tom Petty, Joe Walsh (newest album Analog Man is OUTSTANDING) and so so many more.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    I don't see the problem here....? Man, I'm 26 and I'd say the same thing. It's only everybody else who gives a damn, really - my brother (4 years older than me) gets carded before me when we go out, and my wife is 32 next month but most people would never know she was the older one in our relationship. Either way, no big deal really; just do you, and don't worry about fitting into anybody else's box eh?
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer Sousa marches.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People try to put us d-down!! (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont want to imagine what my life would be like without music..its like my drug. And I listen to a wide variety of music. I love when i catch my kids singing songs from the 70s,80s and 90s..thats the best.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i listen to my Ipod plugged into a boom box every day in my studio. Mostly original pre war blues from Robert Johnson, Lighting Hopkins and Chester Burnett ( Howling Wolf) to when the British boys ( Clapton, Beck picked it up and turned into rock. James Brown and Sam and Dave rock me. I like opera in the form of Maria Callas or Renita Terabaldi singing Pucnini arias. I also like Jazz and John Coltrane is on my play list as is Dexter Gorden, Miles Davis and Bird. Music has been a part of my life for a long time and i use it for inspirition in creating stuff. i like music you can both hear and feel.
  • Options
    Martel:
    The3Stogies:

Nothing wrong with opera at all, maybe I'm just not refined, lol. Now I have never seen opera performed maybe that's why. I don't have any in my collection and really don't look for it to play. Usually play music while I'm puttering around the house. If I was to ease into opera what would you suggest?

Listen to mostly classic rock and blues, live versions preferred. Going to concerts back through the 70's saw some good bands, good jamming. I think, lol.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Martel:
    The3Stogies:

Nothing wrong with opera at all, maybe I'm just not refined, lol. Now I have never seen opera performed maybe that's why. I don't have any in my collection and really don't look for it to play. Usually play music while I'm puttering around the house. If I was to ease into opera what would you suggest?

Listen to mostly classic rock and blues, live versions preferred. Going to concerts back through the 70's saw some good bands, good jamming. I think, lol.
    The problem with opera is that you've got a couple of things going on. There's music and production. Mostly, the music speaks for itself, but many parts of the opera are more production/story oriented. If you're interested in the music only, finding some collections of famous arias and choruses would serve you well. I've also enjoyed finding artists in my same vocal range so I can try to "sing" along.

But, if you're interested in Opera as a whole, Maria Callas as Lady MacBeth in Verdi's MacBeth is haunting. But her voice is kind of an acquired taste.

Puccini's Turandot is one of my favorites and pretty accessible to a new listener. It has the famous "Nessun Dorma" an aria for tenor made famous by Pavarotti, perhaps most popularly as part of the "Three Tenors" at the 1994 World Cup (even though he'd done it at the previous WC and it was better). This might be the complete opera I'd start with, and that 3 Tenors collection was pretty good as I recall. I'm not seeing it on my shelf of old CD's so now I'm going to have to go dig around. Haven't listened to it in years.

Another option is to find a piece or two you like and then expand into other stuff by that composer. I'm not a huge Mozart fan, but many people try to start with his operas because they're somewhat familiar with his other music. But Rossini, Puccini, Verdi, Wagner (meh), Gluck, Glinka, Offenbach, Bizet (for Carmen alone), Saint-Saens (for Samson et Delila), Berg, Gershwin (Porgy and Bess is a great intro for an American audience), and Britten are composer names that come to mind for me. Oh, and one of my favorites is John Adams, but he's not very approachable (kind of like Berg, even though I think he may have some of the best operas around). If you do foray into Adams, dear God, don't start with Nixon in China.

Okay, now I'm going to go counter all the opera running through my head by listening to some Johnny Cash and Bob Marley.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    If you can make me FEEL something with your music, you've made a fan for life.

But it works both ways. If I feel nothing, I won't be back.

Cigar / music pairing suggestion: Any robusto and "Pink Moon" by Nick Drake. The whole album is on Youtube. Thank me later :)
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I could get by without music. That's my escape. Most days I would prefer listening to music than watching TV. I listen to a wide variety of stuff, mostly in the rock genre but also some of the modern hits. I have a canvas hanging on the wall that has a guitar with the saying "where words fail, music speaks". Has to be one of my top quotes as it is so true.
  • Options
    Martel:
    Another option is to find a piece or two you like and then expand into other stuff by that composer. I'm not a huge Mozart fan, but many people try to start with his operas because they're somewhat familiar with his other music. But Rossini, Puccini, Verdi, Wagner (meh), Gluck, Glinka, Offenbach, Bizet (for Carmen alone), Saint-Saens (for Samson et Delila), Berg, Gershwin (Porgy and Bess is a great intro for an American audience), and Britten are composer names that come to mind for me. Oh, and one of my favorites is John Adams, but he's not very approachable (kind of like Berg, even though I think he may have some of the best operas around). If you do foray into Adams, dear God, don't start with Nixon in China.

Thanks for those tips, do like Mozart, Verdi and Wagner. I got into classical from listening to The James Gang believe it or not. Rides Again album had a cut that Joe Walsh played Bolero as part of the song, really grabbed me. Listened to the classical versions and on from there. Saw the James Gang back in 74 or 75, really can't remember the dates but what a show.

Trans Siberian Orchestra is great too, they have it all
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been interesting. I thought I was the only one. Simply put, I like anything that is done well. My Pandora shuffle has from Bach to Warren Zevon, and everything in between.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Thanks for those tips, do like Mozart, Verdi and Wagner. I got into classical from listening to The James Gang believe it or not. Rides Again album had a cut that Joe Walsh played Bolero as part of the song, really grabbed me. Listened to the classical versions and on from there. Saw the James Gang back in 74 or 75, really can't remember the dates but what a show.

The original movie "Bolero" with George Raft and Carole Lombard (1934) was one of the better movies ever made and the sound track was outstanding. I highly recommend it to anyone who has not seen it. (The one with Bo Derick should never have been made.)
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    The3Stogies:

The original movie "Bolero" with George Raft and Carole Lombard (1934) was one of the better movies ever made and the sound track was outstanding. I highly recommend it to anyone who has not seen it. (The one with Bo Derick should never have been made.)
    Thanks JD. I will try to find it.
  • Options
    jd50ae:

Keep an eye out for that, like old movies but never seen that one. That's right the sex scene in 10 was to bolero, well almost. Always liked that movie maybe because Dudley Moore's character was named George, lol.