Home Cigar 101

How to tell?

Hello
Kinda new to cigars after a lon health related issue and wanted to know how do you determine the freshness by touch out of the humidor? Have maintained as close as possible the 70o status as best I could. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I completely understand your question.

What do you mean by "freshness"?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Fresh" is a term that is hard to reconcile. Let's just assume that you mean "properly humidified". And,.........determining "freshness by touch",........ That's easier said than done. Even a properly humidified cigar will crack if you start squeezing and poking around on it very much. IMHO a cigar that feels too dry will be extremely dry and a cigar that feels squishy will be extremely over-humidified. There is a large range of error to be found where the cigar will feel OK but not be in the correct range of acceptable humidity.

In other words I don't recommend that you attempt to determine anything by touch alone. I would advise the use of a calibrated Hygrometer.

A quick fix you could employ would be to purchase one or more Boveda packets and place your cigars and the boveda packets inside a ziploc bag. You can get 65RH and 69RH packets. That will get you cigars in shape quicker than anything else I can think of. Next, do some humidor maintenance by calibrating your hygrometer and re-season your humidor.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    "Fresh" is a term that is hard to reconcile. Let's just assume that you mean "properly humidified". And,.........determining "freshness by touch",........ That's easier said than done. Even a properly humidified cigar will crack if you start squeezing and poking around on it very much. IMHO a cigar that feels too dry will be extremely dry and a cigar that feels squishy will be extremely over-humidified. There is a large range of error to be found where the cigar will feel OK but not be in the correct range of acceptable humidity.

In other words I don't recommend that you attempt to determine anything by touch alone. I would advise the use of a calibrated Hygrometer.

^This.

I've given up trying to determine anything by a squeeze. I had one on Sunday that was hard as a rock; perfect draw and burn. The next stick was perfect in texture and firmness; tight draw and not-so-good burn; both had the same time in the same humidor. That's not to say I still don't appreciate a good squeeze, but I'm trying to disregard it for the most part.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • corsaircorsair Posts: 3
    Thanks, I got the idea..
  • corsaircorsair Posts: 3
    Thanks.. Will do
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    after years of smoking cigars i can tell by touch. took me a few years to be able to do that. maybe 5ish years?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    If I squeeze it and it doesn't fall apart I'm good
    Money can't buy taste
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    If I squeeze it and it doesn't fall apart I'm good
    +1 after thousands of cigars hard or spongy the burn will tell you everything you need to know.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    If it bursts into flames when you toast it, could be a bit dry.
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Okay, first things first, you need a ring of fresh tobacco placed around the cigar. This should be done with fresh leaves, next you need to invoke the soul of Alejandro Robaina and ask for his guidance in this matter. His spirit should come to you soon and let you know if the Cigar is still fresh.

All jokes aside, I give them a slight squeeze, not too hard, not too squishy.