Home General Discussion
Options

Suggestions for the NEW forum.

variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
CCom was nice to upgrade the forum so this may be a good time to give them some ideas of what needs to be tweaked to keep the natives happy. 

This is what I noticed thus far:

1. Allow the OP (original post) to be editable indefinitely. This will help for certain threads like box passes where the first post needs to update often

2. Allow some of us to become moderators. This will aide in keeping things in order like Stickies, double posts, etc..

3. Icon link that takes you to the last post of a thread. 

4. Ignore button to shut JD up. 

5. Change the layout parameters (if possible) so the post windows have more room.

6. Viewing via mobile is just about impossible. 

7. If possible, add more options in our profiles (Bday, Bio or About Me box)

8. Allow signatures.
Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
Post edited by variant2 on

Comments

• Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    1. you should be able to edit the OP. 2 We will at some point be making some members mods. 3. I will have IT look in to that. 4. We as mods do have a mute button. 5 I will have IT check that out also.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how can we stay logged in              ???
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options

All valid, we'll see what we can do here. We just got done tweaking the off the shelf layout to fit our ecommerce site. Lots of work left, but better than no forum at all. Keep the suggestions coming and I'll do my best to get them implemented timely.

-Bryan

• Options
    pennpenn Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    variant2 said:
    CCom was nice to upgrade the forum so this may be a good time to give them some ideas of what needs to be tweaked to keep the natives happy. 

1. Allow the OP (original post) to be editable indefinitely. This will help for certain threads like box passes where the first post needs to update often

2. Allow some of us to become moderators. This will aide in keeping things in order like Stickies, double posts, etc..

5. Change the layout parameters (if possible) so the post windows have more room.

Anyway to sort from Newest to Oldest?
  • Options

All valid, we'll see what we can do here. We just got done tweaking the off the shelf layout to fit our ecommerce site. Lots of work left, but better than no forum at all. Keep the suggestions coming and I'll do my best to get them implemented timely.

-Bryan

Thank you for all your hard work!
  • Options
    penn said:

-Bryan

Thank you for all your hard work!
    Definitely a big thank you. They were also nice enough to carry over all the old post, member data, etc.,

Big thumbs up for that.
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, thanks for the upgrade! 

Ability to jump to first unread from the directory page would be great.

And it's nice to just hit "enter" to make a new line!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options

1. you should be able to edit the OP. 2 We will at some point be making some members mods. 3. I will have IT look in to that. 4. We as mods do have a mute button. 5 I will have IT check that out also.
    Andrew, thanks for the reply.

As for #1, the OP only gets a 1 hour window to edit the first post. There are certain topics where the OP will need to edit (for updates) the first post continuously over the weeks.  
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    penn said:
    variant2 said:

Pretty sure we can, but it will apply to all threads. You all good with that?

-Bryan

• Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

penn said:
    variant2 said:

-Bryan

I think so.  I believe on the old platform it was all one way or the other.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's my combo badge. I need it to collect the set.
  • Options
    matkn293 said:

penn said:
    variant2 said:

-Bryan

I think so.  I believe on the old platform it was all one way or the other.

I'm just one guy with a preference that can't\won't speak for everyone - that's someone else's call.
  • Options
    Bring back signatures!  It says "you don't have permission to use a signature."

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    FIRST OFF, i want to say this is awesome.  Great job by all getting this right and migrating everything from the old style.  The added features are greatly appreciated.

ability to jump to the newest post you haven't seen in a thread.  I imagine that is an option in the forum software

if we can have breadcrumbs at the bottom of each page to jump back to where you were.  as is now you have to scroll back up to the top of the page to get go back to the general discussion page

can we have who the original poster listed under the discussion?   it is nice to see who created a thread when you go to read it.

• Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    variant2 said:

5. Change the layout parameters (if possible) so the post windows have more room

-Bryan

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Hey Guys!!!  Thanks for all the great feedback.  Bryan and the team have been busy collecting all of your comments.  As you can see Cigar.com has move to a new platform to improve the shopping experience and we worked very hard to also bring a new and improved forum into the fold.  I know there are a lot of features that need activation and some tweaks and changes to this space but our biggest priority with the new site launch was to make sure that the content moved which when speaking with several members in the past was the #1 concern.  All of you have made a huge effort over the years to create some great content and we did not want to lose that history in any way.

The old forum was built on an outdated platform as many of you frequently commented and it inhibited our ability to respond to your requests for feature additions and functionality and being a customer service oriented company it was killing us that we could not respond to your requests.  This new forum will allow us build on and improve over time.

Thanks again for your patience.  Our next priority is to respond to some of these most important fixes and comments.  Once we get settled in, we can think about how we want to further customize this hang out space!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the update, Alex and the rest at ccom.  We'll be patient!  Keep up the good work.

• Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Let's start with...MAKE IT PHONE FRIENDLY 
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess I don't like change. If the formatting can be fixed and such it may be okay. Do we still have to write code to post a photo?
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1 said:

ability to jump to the newest post you haven't seen in a thread.  I imagine that is an option in the forum software

It already does that for me. I just click on the title - it takes me to the newest, unread post.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Looks like OP frequently gets covered with menu bar at the top, on mobile.  

Thanks for the updates and the work.  It looks good, and great that everything carried over.  

*I see phone issue is being addressed.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I guess I don't like change. If the formatting can be fixed and such it may be okay. Do we still have to write code to post a photo?
    I see buttons to attach photos
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah no more writing code for photos.  Also you don't have to upload them to photobucket anymore or sites like that and link them.  You can upload to the site directly from your computer/phone (once they fix the mobile side).  It also re-sizes for you to fit the screen!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah no more writing code for photos.  Also you don't have to upload them to photobucket anymore or sites like that and link them.  You can upload to the site directly from your computer/phone (once they fix the mobile side).  It also re-sizes for you to fit the screen!

Now that's cool, I hated having to go thru PB to post a pic.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    2 We will at some point be making some members mods. 
    Oh boy, that is going to be interesting.....
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz said:

A slippery slope for sure.................
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    penn said:

Yes. Definitely.
    Having to go to the last page and scroll all the way down is a pain, not to mention consumes data on a phone.

Also, the auto save feature.
    While it's handy, on a phone causes all kinds of headaches and lag.
    It doesn't need to be set for every 3 minutes.
    If I wanted a draft saved, there is a button for it.
    Autosave is a pretty good resource hog, so you might want to re-think it. Just a thought.

As was stated, SIGNATURES! 

Might want to cut down the amount of posts per page.
    Looks like it's set for 25 post per page.
    Holy cow! On a phone, especially if your not in a 4G area takes some time to load.

Remember a lot of folks are using their phones to access the forum, so sometimes less is better.

Just my thoughts, but what do I know?

60 minute edit time?? Really? 
    What, are we 12? 

bandyt09 said:
    SleevePlz said:

Ok, that probably won't end well.  ;)
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    It says I don't have permissions to add a signature, it this normal?

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now they are disabled but it sounds like they will be turning them back on.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09 said:
    SleevePlz said:

Uhhhh No.....
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961