Home Non Cigar Related
Options

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
The 17 year Katydids are here. Oh joy unbounded.

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Aw, jeez. Some guys get all the luck.....  LOL   B)
  • Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    I like those guys, makes you feel like you're a part of nature....or in an apocalyptic horror movie ;p
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

You WISH they were katydids. You got cicadas bro. 

:/

Here's the map
    http://magicicada.org/about/brood_pages/broodXXIII.php
    Cicada sounds 
    http://www.soundboard.com/sb/cicada_audio_clips
    Katydid sounds
    http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Katydid_sounds
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate those bastards.  They sound like a chainsaw when 3 or 4 get going. Allllll day. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Bob_Luken said:

You WISH they were katydids. You got cicadas bro. 

:/

Here's the map
    http://magicicada.org/about/brood_pages/broodXXIII.php
    Cicada sounds 
    http://www.soundboard.com/sb/cicada_audio_clips
    Katydid sounds
    http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Katydid_sounds
    katydids is how we always referred to them when I was a Yankee living inside the capital beltway.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Hate those bastards.  They sound like a chainsaw when 3 or 4 get going. Allllll day. 
    3 or 4? If you hear 1 you are hearing hundreds. They ain't started flying here yet, and can only hear them warming up. The only creatures glad to see them are the birds and snakes.
  • Options
    Had a friend in N Va. He was a professional truck driver, long haulers. 27 years and not a blemish on his record. He came off Rt 50 in Arlington Va onto one of those wide circle turn offs. 7 of the beasts came through his open window and hit him in the face. He ended up in a ditch with out much damage to the rig. When he stopped running about 5 miles later it took the cops forever to calm him down.They let him keep his spotless record with a notation, "Attacked by giant creatures from space, but saved his load, the truck load. Had to change pants". They let him sit at a desk until the bugs went away. He gets ribbed really bad to this day.
  • Options
    Going out looking for the chimneys. Am a gonna check trunks and leaves too.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We got 'em here too.  But some are buzzing in the summer afternoon, and are probably katydids.  There's some that only buzz at night, and are louder.  Anybody know what the night-time bugs are?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Im a scarred----the noise is twice as loud as this morning.
  • Options
    Amazing. This is the first time I have ever known them to be quiet at night. Me and Blue went hunting for trolls about 2am and they weren't making a sound.
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    We got 'em here too.  But some are buzzing in the summer afternoon, and are probably katydids.  There's some that only buzz at night, and are louder.  Anybody know what the night-time bugs are?
    I haven't seen a single one yet. Just hear them during (like you) the day.
  • Options
    pennpenn Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

A hook through the body of a living one makes the best fishing bait ever.  Bass cannot resist the them as they flap around on top of the water.  Also had good success with them for rainbow trout...

• Options
    jd50ae said:
    3 or 4? If you hear 1 you are hearing hundreds. They ain't started flying here yet, and can only hear them warming up. The only creatures glad to see them are the birds and snakes.
    We don't seem to have big broods come around here (at least not since I've been here).  So the population isn't as dense.

I bet there are 10's of em in our yard when they come around, but not 100's. I can't imagine how loud that is.  When just a couple land on the deck they are loud as hell. 
  • Options
    penn said:

A hook through the body of a living one makes the best fishing bait ever.  Bass cannot resist the them as they flap around on top of the water.  Also had good success with them for rainbow trout...

My cat seems to go for them as well.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    We got them when I was in Ohio as well. 

When they molt at the end of the season they leave behind these disgusting amber-colored shells. Many cute girls in my middle school had those stuck to their sweaters by yours truly when they weren't paying attention. :)
    The little serated claws they leave on the shell will stick to most fabric like magic.

JD, you should annoy your friends and family with them! I highly recommend it.

It's a scary thing to have stuck to you for sure.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I quit those types of childish pranks a long long time ago.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The chickens seem to love them.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    The chickens seem to love them.
    And the birds have gone from the feeding areas, guess they are feasting. Still hear them but have yet to see one.
  • Options
    jd50ae said:
    I quit those types of childish pranks a long long time ago.
    Booooooo!
  • Options
    Finally saw one. The kids brought one in the house.
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be great if cicadas ate ticks.

This is not at all like the infestation I experienced in N Va. where you had to drive with your windows up and listen to the constant thump as they committed suicide on your windows. And then there were the shovel brigades to clear out the piles of them around any door that had a light on all night.

Hear them everywhere here but have yet to see one in flight.
  • Options
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Billions of cicadas will buzz this spring as two broods emerge at the same time.

The last time the two broods - Brood XIX and Brood XII - emerged simultaneously was in 1803.

Brood XIX, the Northern Illinois Brood, emerges every 17 years and Brood XII, the Great Southern Brood, emerges every 13 years.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain