Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Alright CC Fans...

jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Non Cigar Related
With the announcement of POTUS today re-opening the U.S. Embassy in Cuba and vice versa, a question comes to mind.

The embargo created a cigar diaspora of sorts; manufacturers had to adapt, had to increase quality, had to innovate.

Have the non CC companies surpassed the CC companies? Has innovation and a helluva lot of BST resulted in a changing of the guard?

When I can finally afford to go to Cuba, and light up a few CCs, am I gonna wish I were smoking something else?

-Jay (who has only ever possessed a fake Cuban)
“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Comments

• Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cubans are a different experience than non ccs. It will probably depend on how much you enjoy mild cigars.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Eulogy, what may I smoke that had the most CC-esque profile? 

My first thought leans to cigars constructed from Cuban seed leaves, but I understood terroir would be a large be a factor here -- much like wine or spirits, the place where something was grown imparts nuances that cannot be replicated elsewhere.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two real Cubans I have smoked were far and away superior to the non Cubans I smoked at the time. But that was a long time ago and changes have been made all around. I will be curious to see what, if anything, has changed. Or if my preferences have changed.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Eulogy said:
    Cubans are a different experience than non ccs. It will probably depend on how much you enjoy mild cigars.
    I don't think that's necessarily so. Not that I'm am expert on the subject, but recently (on a ship in international waters, yeah, that's the ticket) I had a CC that was very full-flavored and strong and not mild at all, and probably the best stogie I've ever had. It had that "soda pop" liveliness and full creaminess that supposedly some CCs are known for. The closest non-CC I've had the compares to it is a Pardon 1964. 
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO I have not had a NC that resembles a CC.  If you enjoy big powerful spicy cigars then CC's probably wont be up your ally but if you like a nice smooth complex cigar it is hard to be a properly aged CC.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    There's cigars that have Cuban aspects to them but I've never found one that's a dead ringer. The Allison and the Goldie have some Cuban flavors. It's not too hard to find actual Cubans and might be worth the effort.
  • Options
    Cool, I have had a Padron, and really enjoyed it. The Goldie is in my list. 

Thanks Guys

-Jay
  • Options
    I enjoyed the natural Padrons I've had but they didn't remind me of Cuban cigars. Might just be me.
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPG Series JJ is Cubanesqe to me.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Not all CCs are mild. I've had one or two that weren't. I think it's probably more accurate to say that, on the whole, CCs are MILDER than non-CCs. 

That is to say that a given CC is likely to be a bit milder than it's non-CC counterpart. 
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO if it has a Cuban name but it's not Cuban it's overpriced poop. One of the only cigars I've had that I found anything close to Cuban was the smoking jacket and only because it had that twang to it. I wouldn't say that they are all mild but I find them not to be nearly as strong as some of the stuff being produced today. I will say the QC has gotten a ton better but still is far behind. 
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    I have a DPG JJ en-route from Ccom, based on the fact that it was mentioned as one of our weekly reviews. 

I am sure the stick will be a bit green, but I will most likely fire it up Fri or Sat after it rests a little

-Jay
  • Options
    They were discontinued about a year ago so it will have some age.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've "reviewed" numerous CCs, real and fake.  They're all the same ........ they all perish ... the same.  
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your reviews are very in depth.
  • Options
    variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    With the announcement of POTUS today re-opening the U.S. Embassy in Cuba and vice versa, a question comes to mind.

The embargo created a cigar diaspora of sorts; manufacturers had to adapt, had to increase quality, had to innovate.

Have the non CC companies surpassed the CC companies? Has innovation and a helluva lot of BST resulted in a changing of the guard?

When I can finally afford to go to Cuba, and light up a few CCs, am I gonna wish I were smoking something else?

CC are mostly sought after here in the states because they're our forbidden fruit of cigars and most people will automatically rank them as the best cigar they ever had even though there's a high possibility that it's a fake and not from Cuban tobacco.

Once a person has smoked a good portion of the CC marcas and understands their flavor profiles, they then just becomes another cigar in your stash. In my experience, there are days that I prefer a NC cigar and there are others that I want to light up a CC. It just adds to the variety.

Now, as far as quality is concerned... well, this is where I think most people have got the wrong impression that the Cuban cigars are the benchmark for quality. That fact is that many companies like La Palina, Davidoff, A. Fuente, etc., can and will produce cigars with far less problems and inconsistencies than their Cuban rivals. 

With those NC companies, finding a plugged cigar in a box would surprise me whereas it is almost expected to find one (or two, or three) in a box of Cubans. That also includes their prestigious Cohiba line.

At the end of the day, a Cuban cigar is just another cigar with a different flavor profile. Since taste is subjective, only you can answer the question if you're going to like them or not -- assuming that it won't be plugged.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:

Most likely, yes.
    When we can get something that was previously not available, we often find more enjoyment out of it at first.
    Once the novelty wears off, you may find it just another cigar.

That said, you might find ones that will be that good that you will want them in your rotation. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like variant said, non-Cuban companies have superior qc.  Probably because Cuba strains to keep up with the market.  They aren't bad (quality) but I'd expect more qc issues with cc's.  

Other than that, just a different profile.  All about aroma and complexity.  They don't do many maduros either.

Cuban brands have reacted to recent trends in the global market though.  Fatter cigars and more limited editions.  
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Like variant said, non-Cuban companies have superior qc.  Probably because Cuba strains to keep up with the market.  They aren't bad (quality) but I'd expect more qc issues with cc's.  

Other than that, just a different profile.  All about aroma and complexity.  They don't do many maduros either.

Cuban brands have reacted to recent trends in the global market though.  Fatter cigars and more limited editions.  
    Cohibas makes some maduros
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    It is difficult to replicate the growing conditions of Cuba (soil and environment) not to mention their fastidious detail to fermentation, which is second to none. I am concerned the influx in demand may cause some short cuts. Hope that doesn't happen. I hope they hold true to their heritage. 
  • Options

Cohibas makes some maduros
    Yeah, those are the ones I was thinking of. I don't know of any others.
  • Options

It is difficult to replicate the growing conditions of Cuba (soil and environment) not to mention their fastidious detail to fermentation, which is second to none. I am concerned the influx in demand may cause some short cuts. Hope that doesn't happen. I hope they hold true to their heritage. 
    I hope so too... but Habanos has increased production in the past in order to meet demand only to have really crappy cigars for a couple of years.  

I think competition will help keep qc high.  Most consumers probably prefer a good product in lower quantities (the boutique boom seems to indicate that at least).
  • Options
    Personally I'm against the whole embargo lifting. I'd love to travel there but if they get into our market...well quality goes down and prices sky rocket! Everything will go up in price and since the QC as of now is better it will only get worse plus the "formentation" will only be quicker as it already is to fast. 
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I can't say I've ever had a non CC that tastes like a regular CC, but I have had a few CC's that taste like they where from the DR. Partagas, Bolivar, Ramon Allones are all pretty strong cigars without having a very spicy profile similar to a quality cigar from the DR. The one really identifiable trait in CC's has always been that very mineral quality that I just can't taste in anything else. In my opinion CC's aren't always better, just different. If I went to a B&M that sold both I may only get one or two CC's, I'd vary the rest. That being said the quality will probably drop and you'll probably have to age them for a considerable amount of time to get the best out of them. 
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    variant2 said:
    jarubla said:

CC are mostly sought after here in the states because they're our forbidden fruit of cigars and most people will automatically rank them as the best cigar they ever had even though there's a high possibility that it's a fake and not from Cuban tobacco.

Once a person has smoked a good portion of the CC marcas and understands their flavor profiles, they then just becomes another cigar in your stash. In my experience, there are days that I prefer a NC cigar and there are others that I want to light up a CC. It just adds to the variety.

Now, as far as quality is concerned... well, this is where I think most people have got the wrong impression that the Cuban cigars are the benchmark for quality. That fact is that many companies like La Palina, Davidoff, A. Fuente, etc., can and will produce cigars with far less problems and inconsistencies than their Cuban rivals. 

With those NC companies, finding a plugged cigar in a box would surprise me whereas it is almost expected to find one (or two, or three) in a box of Cubans. That also includes their prestigious Cohiba line.

At the end of the day, a Cuban cigar is just another cigar with a different flavor profile. Since taste is subjective, only you can answer the question if you're going to like them or not -- assuming that it won't be plugged.

This - I don't really think there's much else to say. I've lived in Spain for almost 3 years, and I have much easier access to CCs than I do NCCs. After such easy access... I'm looking forward to visiting California later this year!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I'm against the whole embargo lifting. I'd love to travel there but if they get into our market...well quality goes down and prices sky rocket! Everything will go up in price and since the QC as of now is better it will only get worse plus the "formentation" will only be quicker as it already is to fast. 
    My hope is that when they lift the embargo, everyone will need to smoke CC's driving the price up which will drop the price on NC's.  Within a year the novelty will wear off, and all of the occasional smokers who loved the 6 x 60 maduro gaggers will realize that they do not like CC's and will switch back to the big dark sticks which make them look special.

Being smart consumers who have a sufficient supply of CC's prior to the embargo being lifted, it is our job during that year to stockpile quality NC's while the price and demand are low.  When everyone switches back to NC's, we have an abundence of CC's to choose from at a great price point.

Just my optimistic thought
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My hope is that when they lift the embargo, everyone will need to smoke CC's driving the price up which will drop the price on NC's.  Within a year the novelty will wear off, and all of the occasional smokers who loved the 6 x 60 maduro gaggers will realize that they do not like CC's and will switch back to the big dark sticks which make them look special.

Being smart consumers who have a sufficient supply of CC's prior to the embargo being lifted, it is our job during that year to stockpile quality NC's while the price and demand are low.  When everyone switches back to NC's, we have an abundence of CC's to choose from at a great price point.

Just my optimistic thought
    I love your thought processes sherm. I'm ok if it would go that way. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White