Home General Discussion
Options

Terra cotta Humidification?

jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in General Discussion
I picked up a few terra-cotta Humidification devices at the B&M this evening. 

Drop them in distilled water till they darken, dry them off, and place in humi. The idea is No mold like water pillows.

Have a similar one (also terra cotta) my wife and I have used for years to keep the brown sugar hydrated--works very well for that. 

Gonna give them a try and see how the cooler likes them this week. They'll be running support for the bovedas.

-Jay
“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a pretty cool idea.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one in my pipe tobacco jar and it works great.  Duh, I never thought of it for my cigars.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ceramic is commonly used for pipe tobacco.  I only wonder if it will be enough for cigars since pipe tobacco stays at a much lower rh.  

Hope it works! 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Hi Gray,

Interesting--do you know what rh the ceramic is supposed to stay at?

my desktop humis have really settled down after I schlepped them to the basement and put them in a cooler. Rock steady 62/62.

i just went and checked and the big one (previously used for the brown sugar) was 3 rh degrees higher than the norm of 62. Checking the humi with the smaller leaves type, the rh was the same, also 3 degrees higher.

Seems to be working for me here in the hot/dry high desert.

Might be useful for other folks when they run into dry conditions too and need a little something else to help.

Utah is pretty much always dry

The terra cotta will just need to be watched as I imagine if they are dry they will pull humidity. Gonna have to learn how long they last.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea.  The ones for pipe tobacco are usually small, so maybe it is a function of size.  

You could thrown one in a clean container with a hygrometer and test it.  

Sounds like they work so far as a little humidity boost.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    hmmm will be nice to hear the results.
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    Big"nBall"n

So far so good. Will keep eyes on this and figure out how to dial in back in. 

What I suspect I will do is rock Bovedas, the terra cotta & KL, with the idea that I don't bother wetting the KL, and using the terra cotta for that.

-Jay

• Options
    Update: I have been using them in my Boveda rehydration Tupperware.

They seem to speed the shot glass method up.

Good stuff!