Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Lapidary talk

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So... My hobby paths have changed. I was originally looking into leather work but I got a text from my brother today that changed the whole thing. My brother inherited my great grandfathers lapidary saw and he no longer has room for it! Soooooo Ill be taking it and possibly exploring the world of cutting up rocks. lol!!!!!

Anyone here cut and polish rocks? If so what equipment do you have and what is your process?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Use to do a lot of "lapidary" from cutting and polishing slabs, geodes and cabochons. and eventually went into faceting. Lost over $500,00.00 dollars in cut colored gem stones, all A grade or better, in a tornado.

It isn't something you get into lightly. It requires equipment, space and serious training. I have not looked into it since the loss but I'm sure it is a safe bet that today's equipment is far easier to use because of computers and the testing equipment available. It will still require a lot of hands on time.

Look for a faceting supply company and look at what they have to offer, it will give you an idea.

Look for a community college, they are usually aware of clubs and instructors and will list them in their brochures.

Finding a trustworthy "rock" supplier is paramount.
  • Options
    After digging into it a bit and doing a little "google research"... Im thinking i want to start with finding some nice uncut rock and just cut a few slabs and polish them. Maybe find nice items for displaying them (like a plate mount for mounting plates on walls or angled  picture mounts). Im not looking to get deep into precious stones or faceting. Just cutting and polishing stone slices and maybe selling them on ebay or etsy. lol

Did you ever do hand polishing? I read a simple explanation on how to smooth, sand and hand polish stone. Takes some patience and elbow grease... but i like having an excuse to do something mindless and watch some TV.
  • Options
    wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Leather work is much more practical
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

I work with natural stone  fairly often,  mostly marble and granite but occasionally I get to be creative. I've cut a lot of rocks for various people over the years although I have never heard the term "Lapidary" until you posted this. polishing 100% by hand is tedious and not feasible for my porpoises. I have a variable speed grinder and diamond polishing pads that I use, (from 30 to 9000 grit) This is a light that I did for a client a couple yrs. back   

• Options
    So here is a question... If I were to hand sand and polish a piece about 6 inches in diameter... how long would that take? I think it would be something I would end up taking great pride in when the pieces are finished. I might look into a sanding/polishing bit for my dremel or cordless drills.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

So here is a question... If I were to hand sand and polish a piece about 6 inches in diameter... how long would that take? I think it would be something I would end up taking great pride in when the pieces are finished. I might look into a sanding/polishing bit for my dremel or cordless drills.
    It's going to depend on a few different things. How hard is the rock? How rough is the initial cut? I have done a few pieces with grinding stones and sandpaper (belt sander and orbital) you start out with a low grit to remove the blade marks and graduate up, it's hard to find any sand paper finer than 600 (auto body supply house, parts store, etc.) 600 will give a somewhat decent sheen I would call it a satin at best. as for time,, I would guess quite a bit ;)