Home Non Cigar Related

Advice on how to get some extra cash for an amazing opportunity?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So I am not one for panhandling or begging/asking people for money. My finances are very stable but leave little room for funds for a new position I have been given...

I was recently appointed as the Clan Graham Society Games Chairman for the Portland Highland Games! The Continental Convener Vice President of the Clan Graham Society gave me the honor to represent our Clan name and heritage for my local Highland Games!!!! I am so beyond honored!

Here is where the funding question comes in. There are a lot of things that I will need to buy to make this happen. Im sure I can bits and piece it together through the year but there are a couple big items that will be hard to pass by the wife as something I need to buy for the Clan tent display. Anyone have any ideas of heritage foundations or sites that I can join to try to get some outside funding for materials and display pieces?

As this position is a volunteer based community and the Clan Society is a non-profit foundation , they don't have much along the lines of financial assistance for Clan representation. They do cover tickets and the entry fees for my first years spot in the Highland games... but other than that its all up to me...
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I also really don't have a whole lot of anything that I can sell to make a dent in the upfront costs. I really want to blow my first year out of the water and come in to the game locked and loaded and ready to make a mark in next years events!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Have you looked into setting up a "GoFundMe" page like Ricky Hamlin did to raise funds for his wife, Carla?  

From what I read about the site, a GoFundMe page doesn't necessarily have to be for medical reasons. It could be just about any worthwhile cause.... B)
    I was actually looking at that option just now! I was thinking since this venture is meant to get materials and displays to teach my clan heritage and the Scottish culture that it might fall under th education section. 
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    You could totally get a part time gig driving for uber if they have it in your area. I've seriously considered doing it for extra cigar money.
    Uber is a good idea. But I can't detract time from my family to do that. Plus my car... Isn't the most fuel efficient lol
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    On a similar note as Uber, got any extra space in the house? In a decent market? Maybe check out Airbnb. It's worth it, and not as scary as lot of people seem to think.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Yeah talked to my wife about the Airbnb... she said she would rather let a homeless man rummage through our laundry. lol!

I think im gonna go the Go Fund Me route... I have been working on the write up for it and hopefully it will take off and I can get the funding I need.