Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Week seven group review 08/24/2015 -- La Palina Mr. Sam

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
And go...
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the mr Sam. Will get to it Saturday 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoked mine a while back while forgetting it was on the list, or I would have tried to do a better job of analyzing the stick. I do give it a positive rating. Maybe I'll grab some more and try again. I have since found a local shop that carries LP so I'll be able to grab more.
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally got around to this this morning.
    pre light draw got earthy and tobacco flavores. Initial draw after lighting was heavy wood flavor. The wood flavor stayed prominent throughout with a hint of spice. Never got any sweet undertones. First time smoking he corona size and after I prefer the toro. Good smoke with very good draw and construction. Had one minor touch up on the burn and one relight at the beginning of the final 3rd. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoked mine tonight

Second La Palina I have smoked.

Prelight taste was hay, pre light draw was chocolatey.

I didn't take notes (for shame!) but this little gem was fantastic; lovely round tobacco notes at the front, a black tea middle, and a honey/creamy finish. When spiciness came through, it exhibited as white pepper--this jived very well with the overall profile.

Draw was tight, but not uncomfortable. 

Finishing the stick, the final third had to be purged regularly to bring the flavors back. Unpurged, it was fairly bitter, but if purged 3x, then paused for ~30 to 60 seconds, it was GTG for another three draws. Cycled that purge/draw down to the nub, and laid it gently in the ash tray when it was too small to smoke any more.

Burn was flawless. One relight because I purged too hard and slew the ash (lulz). 

Damn tasty. Will smoke again, will buy again, will enjoy again.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I need to dbl check the vitola in the am. It was a smaller ring gauge. 

Edit: corona
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch