Home Cigar 101

How long before I can taste the different flavors?

BroncoKingsBroncoKings Posts: 34
I've read people tasting coffee, nutty, leather etc. flavors, I can definitely tell between a peppery stick and non pepper. I'm a newbie only 6 months. 

Best Answers

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    kuzi16 said:
    It's all different for different people.  It didn't take me too long but I've seen people that never really become able to taste many nuances ever....
    But they still enjoy the hobby. If you put the cigar to your lips and draw and you like it then it is a good cigar
    That's me. I mean I can pick out cocoa and spice. And the smoky flavor of the new fire cured's and occasionally licorice but that's pretty much it. But I've never tried to develop my palette either I just enjoy smoking cigars. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 Answer ✓
    I think a large part of it (for me) are the contributing factors. Meaning, what did I eat before, what state of mind am I in, am I smoking slowly, trying to determine the pace at which it should be smoked (sometimes pushing it to the limit before it goes out/before it needs a relight), and writing down what I taste, trying to describe it?

Further, what company am I enjoying? Or am I alone? Sometimes smoking alone is a pleasure; sometimes I wish my wife didn't have to work in a few hours and were with me. 

I do follow convention and try to analyze the cigar in thirds; without fail (again, for me), each cigar starts with a subtle toasty marshmallow-ness in the beginning third. Without fail, it ends in a over the head drubbing of spicy nic hit towards the nub.

THAT being said I have smoked a few sticks that were so powerful that I struggled to enjoy them. I gave them the old college try, but without fail ditched them in the second third. They just didn't taste good, and, confession time, I couldn't quite say why (LOL). If I had to try and say why, I would say it was due to a drying flavor; alum or salt.

I mostly drink water during my cigar time; occasionally a beer or some port. I also spit frequently during smoking.

I've tried to research the cigar tasting wheel and that helps a little. 

If I may offer some suggestions, as one newb to another; try a shiz ton of stuff, try and write a few impressions down about the stick, and most of all, enjoy.

For me, cigar time (or pipe time), is zen time.

Good luck, BOTL!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Answers

• BroncoKingsBroncoKings Posts: 34
    Never mind I read the post for newbies
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes exactly 5 months, 21 days, 4 hours, 28 minutes and 33 seconds. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    skydiverD said:
    He's right, you know. That's exactly how long it took for me. An indisputable scientific fact.  :p
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    skydiverD said:
    He's right, you know. That's exactly how long it took for me. An indisputable scientific fact.  :p
    Took me about that long to distinguish between honey notes and honeysuckle notes.

Everything else?,............... I'm still working on it. 
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I have smoked for years and cannot pick up flavours. sure I can tell between pepper and none but that's about it. I did pick up caramel once. I do not retrohale and that may be a big reason I don't pick up favours. But I still enjoy smoking them!
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dammit Jeff, hot coffee right out my nose!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    Dammit Jeff, hot coffee right out my nose!

-Jay
    I guess if you were doing nose stuff that would work, but that could get expensive.