Home General Discussion

Golf course smokes

transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
I smoked cigarettes for a hundred years then quit a few years ago.  Last year I started smoking cigars on the golf course.  Only recently have I begun smoking cigars in other venues.

Back to the course.  Here are some of the characteristics I believe make for a great links smoke:

1) Inexpensive.  The cigar is not the star since you're focused on other things.  I like to drink beer on the course, but that's not where I drink some award-winning brew.  Same principle.

2) Well-constructed.  This can conflict with #1, but you don't want to be constantly re-lighting and an unraveling wrapper is an unwanted distraction.

3) Easy on the ligero.  I'm not too keen about having my head spin when I'm trying to sink a putt.

4) Interesting flavor(s).  Why?  Why the heck not?

5) Not too sweet.  As I said, the cigar is often accompanied by a beer.  I wouldn't dream of breaking out a chocolate bar and washing it down with a beer...same principle.

Anyway, these are some of my thoughts.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Kipling was a wise man.

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind a stronger cigar on the course. I have enjoyed Oliva V's and DPG blue a few times and loved them every time
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My golf smokes are usually DPG Blue and Black, Ramon Bueso Genesis, some seconds from ccom.  While not my usual preference, I like a toro or even a 60 ring while golfing.  I like them to hold up and not go out while I am three putting.  I am in the same boat where I may not enjoy the smoke while golfing, so I usually stick with some good fair priced smokes.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i typically do not like larger ring gauge except on the course.  Something in a 5.5-6 length. I will bust out a Churchill from time to time as well. Strong didn't really bother me, just depends on the mood. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    A month or so ago, I ordered one of Cigar.com's mystery grab bags.  I got a few crap cigars, but I also got a box-pressed Bahia Gold gordo. Smoked it today on the course. Lit it on the 8th hole.  Still good after the 18th and no re-lights.  And it's a pretty good smoke.  I declare it a great golf course cigar.
    Kipling was a wise man.