Home General Discussion
Options

Looking for Cigar recommendations and what not.

JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
Let me preface this by saying HOLY COW have I been gone for a long time.  The forums have changed for the better I hope??  Everything looks snazzy.  Lets get to the title though.  I am getting married next Saturday and am just wondering what you lot would recommend for a nice smoke for a good price.  Looking possibly on the yard 'gar side of things because they may be more to every ones liking other than mine.  I tend to like the more full blend.  Thanks in advance!
"Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back to the neighborhood.

Hoya Red. I had my first just now. I'm impressed with these.
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Had a few Don Tomas at a cigar bar at a wedding I attended, not overly priced and a decent pass em out smoke!
     Fonsaca Arana is a small priced bundle to consider!
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Welcome back to the neighborhood.

Hoya Red. I had my first just now. I'm impressed with these.
    I'll second that.  If you have a BnM nearby that carries Perdomo, ask if they have any Nick' Stix - a good 'value' cigar.

I don't know that I could follow this advice if it was me getting married next Saturday, but I'd say don't sweat the cigar selection too much; you won't/can't make everybody happy... the people getting the cigars should care about you which is why they're there, and they'll be honored to get any good cigar just because it's from you.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Joya Red was a pretty good stick.  I'm just pissed they stopped making the Celebracion for it.

I did a nugget review of it:

Held ash longer than I think I ever have with this cigar.  Strong and tight.  Everyone I was hanging out with thought it smelled fantastic.  It tasted okay, but I'd love for them to discontinue this if they brought back the Celebracion.  It wasn't anywhere near as good as that.  In fact, it was kind of just better than okay.  Nothing bad, but seriously one-note from start to finish.  Well, maybe better than that.  It struck a chord, but the chord never changed.  There was some complexity but it never varied.  Kind of boring.

Another Option:

The Tat white labels with mixed filler.  Cheap, yard gar, but with some decent flavors.  Weak ash. Consistent burn.  Well made for what it is.  http://www.cigar.com/cigars/84654/tatuaje-series-p/

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I'm sorry, I didn't fully catch all the words in your first post. Somehow I didn't really catch the part about it being your wedding.

Congratulations!

And another suggestion comes to mind. Perhaps something in the basic Arturo Fuente line because of their beautiful classic bands and Fuente is a good bet to please everyone. 
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options
    Thanks guys!  Appreciate it @Bob_Luken.  I wont be smoking this as I have a well aged Opus X for this occasion but I am going to agree with you @peter4jc that they should appreciate what is provided and knowing the people that will smoke one, they will.  If anyone has any other suggestions I will definitely consider but I will also check out what everyone else has recommended.  Thanks a lot all!  Damn white label Tats are Backordered grrrrr!  lol
  • Options
    Anyone tried any of the overruns?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st off congrats on the upcoming marriage @JSaint ......
    **(run, get out while you still can!!!)**

lol j/k man

you said you like more of a full blend but if you plan on sharing with others you might be better sticking on the mild-medium side of things, unless you know the other folks can handle it, just my $0.02. 
    i did a box of the fuente chateau natural (green band) for a mixed-group bachelor party earlier this year and they were a hit.  price was right too, at about $4/stick.
    you could always go with the sun-grown fuente if you want a little more kick to it.

and as far as overruns go --- i've always had good luck with the AJ overruns, good quality and consistency.   pretty sure they got rebranded and are now called "nicaraguan boutique overruns" http://www.cigar.com/cigars/84718/nicaraguan-boutique-overruns/

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive always recommended the Connecticut wrapper Park Avenue as a mild to medium "beginner" smoke seem kinda smooth nice and smokey. or if a little more flavorful side I recommend the San Cristobal elegancia just my opinion.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the wedding! I think the Fuentes jgibv suggested above are a great choice. 

If if you are smoking an Opus, the Fuente sticks everyone else will be smoking will have some congruency with yours, your stick being the stick of honor (that may sound a little cheesy).

Again, congrats! Marriage is a fine institution.

-Jay

“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    Thanks for the recommendation @jarubla Ill check those out as well.  And @twistedstem not game over yet lol.  Shes one of the good ones.  Id say I have about a year before she starts forcing me to do things.  I have a feeling I am going to lean more towards 2nds of a brand.  Funds are tightening as it closes upon me.  
  • Options
    WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

These are good seconds, if you can find them loose at a B&M, usually about $3 a stick: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/11842/perdomo-fresh-rolled-cuban-wheels/

• Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    i like the Camacho line,  
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    I love the Camacho line.  I have a Gordo Triple Maduro that has been aging for a longgggg time.  Maybe 7 years?
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    AJ Fresh Rolls
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    AJ Fresh Rolls
    Are they still making those?  That's what I would've grabbed =/.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thats sad. I dont think I knew they stopped. Maybe email a rep and see if they have some in stock. 
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    I just nabbed some Gurkha habanos.  figured they would be fine for everyone and my dad bought something different today.  No idea what they are lol.  Had a scare today.  Was going through my coolidor and looked at the opus x I have been saving.  Cap and a small part midway down the cigar....covered in mold.  Luckily when I wiped it off with a paper towel and water there was none left.  It should still be good right?  I'd assume so.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Congrats on the wedding! I would think that the OpusX are fine as long as none is on the foot. I have had a few sticks sprout, wiped em off and smoked em. I have also wiped em off and continued to store em, I keep them separated for a while but after 9-10 months and nothing else growing I quite worrying about it, I've only done a dry wipe.   
  • Options
    I don't think any of it was inside or near the foot.  I just grabbed it and wiped it off.  I may take it out to let it dry out a little.
  • Options
    Appreciate the help again guys!  Cigars were a huge hit at the end of the reception.