Home Non Cigar Related
Options

if it walks like a clock, and it talks like a clock...

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    LMFAO!!!!! Im sorry... but that's some funny S**T!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:

An atomic clock?  I believe them, I hear it ticking.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Hardy har har!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    webmost said:
    They are all alike. The kid didn't invent anything. Or even assemble anything original. He disassembled a bedside alarm clock and re-assembled it, as manufactured with no actual modifications, into a pencil case. It's not a "cool clock". It's a clock. 
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Sorry, I didn't mean to jack your thread or mess up the joke about which thing is not like the other because, the joke is clear and correct. It doesn't look like a clock. And, in this age of applying "an abundance of caution" when it comes to public safety in the face of threats from those who wish to kill us, this contraption deserves our attention.
    As with most news stories there are a multitude of unanswered questions compared to the answers we do know. But, one thing we know is this young man doesn't know the definition of the word invention. He didn't invent that clock. It's a digital clock with it's original case removed. (It's actually a dangerous contraption because you have exposed AC circuitry. Any electronics hobbyist would have used a low voltage battery power.) If I disassemble this laptop and attach it's entire bare working mechanisms to the inside of a briefcase with a few screws, I have not invented anything, and I shouldn't be surprised when the cops show up if I opened up the case in public.
    In interviews this young man has confirmed that he knew in advance that the contraption could raise suspicions but, everyone is supposed to be supportive of this poor little science geek who got arrested for a "home made" clock.  Is this young man really that much of a science wiz kid? What's the bottom line? The nightly news wants to wrap up this story in a neat little package with a pretty bow on top. "Poor little Muslim science geek is abused by islamophobic officials. End of story. Move along people. Nothing more to see. Show's over."
    One of the unanswered questions is where are the rest of this kid's science projects? Has he really done anything besides disassemble manufactured electronics and reassemble them minus the original casing? If not, then why the adulation for him from MIT? I'd like to know more.

• Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Via an ABC news article...

On Thursday, Irving high school students said Ahmed has a reputation as a tinkerer and creator. He made small robotics, fixed phones and assembled a remote that could turn on projectors at school, they said.

"I remember seeing him in middle school, and he used to always bring stuff," said Sara Williams, 15. "He was just one of those kids that created stuff."

Doesn't sound too far out of the realm of normal for the young man. 

Post edited by pelirrojo on
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe just an over/under reaction.  Overreacted by suspending the poor kid yet under reacted for not clearing the building if they thought it was a bomb, or weren't sure.  What exactly was he suspended for?
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to deny a kid's right to learn, but I can't even take 4 oz of f**king shampoo on an airplane since 9/11. In this day and age you err on the side of caution.
    Also, I didn't see our president defending any kids that got suspended for making a gun shape out of their thumb and index finger or a Pop Tart. 
  • Options
    I believe the reason given for the suspension and detention was bringing a hoax bomb to school. This story is so interesting to me because it is an example of how the media molds a story to fit their world view. 

Clearly the detention was handled wrong to say the least and will most likely be determined to have been illegal. That is the most important issue to the family and to the local authorities. But the broader media story, and how the world has reacted to the young man and blindly lauded him for his inventiveness is fascinating.   

How is this supposedly smart, inventive and clever teenager is so proud of a clock he simply dismantled? I'm not saying the kid isn't smart, inventive and clever but,........ I'm asking for the truth. He didn't "invent" that clock. There's no "home made" whatsoever in that clock but the media repeats that phrase over and over. In that regard, these media outlets are broadcasting false info.

People with an open mind should bring further scrutiny of the electronic/robotic things this boy may have actually created or is capable of creating. But, I doubt we will hear much about that if it turns out he never really created anything. because that would put a damper on the whole white house visit if we were to find out this kid has no real skills except knowing how to turn a phillips head screwdriver.

Nerds weigh in. 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/21/nerds-rage-over-ahmed-s-clock.html

For some electronics experts, Mohamed’s windfall is unfair to students that actually invent things. Bryan Bergeron, an author of electronics books and editor in chief of the magazine Nuts & Volts, said that Mohamed’s project “would be ‘cute’ for someone age 7. But even then, not ‘inventive.’”
    “The problem with giving this 14-year-old—whom I have nothing against; I really know very little of him—kudos for being inventive, is that there are tens of thousands of 11-year-olds out there actually designing circuits, building them from scratch and ‘innovating,’” Bergeron told The Daily Beast.
    Bergeron said Mohamed’s special treatment was “political” and in reaction to the public backlash over the teen’s arrest, an idea that will probably not be disputed by anyone following the story—Mohamed has received more attention than other young inventors because he was put in cuffs and other young inventors were not.
    Bergeron continues, “This treatment does a big disservice to the tens of thousands of pre-teens out there doing REAL innovative things with electronics and technology.”

• Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    This story is so interesting to me because it is an example of how the media molds a story to fit their world view. 

This.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    This story is so interesting to me because it is an example of how the media molds a story to fit their world view. 

This.
    What??  I'm shocked!!!   Shocked, I say!

:D
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain