Home Pipes

Superior Grain - Estate Pipe

jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Pipes
Hi All,

I picked up a straight stem estate pipe at the antique store for $10 this afternoon. Looks to have been well used.

It cleaned up just fine, and it is resting now after being oiled (extra virgin) and buffed.

I can't seem to find any info on it, can you pipe ninjas steer a fella? Only markings on it are 'Superior Grain'

Thank you,
Jay
“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any maker marks? Sometimes these are just symbols, but they can be very helpful and contain a lot of information 
    It looks like some of the older  Kaywoodie pipes are stamped superior grain. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Nate!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    edited September 2015
    Sounds right; the 'drink less screw mount attachment' they describe in CI (pipe is apparently still made) was plugged and twisted out just fine. Hoping I can smoke it without having it in the shank.

Is the secret to having a non gurgling bowl to let the tobacco dry out? Right now I just have ribbon cut stuff.

Seems that their Super and their Superior are the same model?

Thank you,
    Jay
    jarubla said:
    Sounds right; the 'drink less screw mount attachment' they describe in CI (pipe is apparently still made) was plugged and twisted out just fine. Hoping I can smoke it without having it in the shank.

Is the secret to having a non gurgling bowl to let the tobacco dry out? Right now I just have ribbon cut stuff.

Seems that their Super and their Superior are the same model?

Thank you,
    Jay

I'm fairly new at it myself so anything I say is mostly opinion, take it for what it's worth.

A gurgling pipe is a sigh that your smoking to hot (fast) and/or the tobacco is too moist, or you might be packing it to tightly. Some blends seem to smoke wet regardless of what you do.

Also it seems that some pipe/tobacco combinations simply do not like each other. I have come very close to giving up on a particular pipe, thinking it was a piece of crap. I also have not found any one style of loading a pipe that works for all pipe/tobacco combinations. Experiment until you find what works for you.

I have removed the stingers from all of my pipes, for me it just restricts the airflow which makes me over smoke it.

The more you dry out the tobacco the slower you can smoke it which helps with the 'bite'

Pipe smoking is a lesson in patience.        

Hey Jay,

If that pipe is a Kaywoodie there might be a number on the stinger, you can use that to get an approximate date and maybe a model #. I will see if I can find the name of the site. 

I was able to enjoy a bowl of Lane BCA in it last night. the estate pipe is gonna be good. I am excited for it!

-Jay
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

...it seems that some pipe/tobacco combinations simply do not like each other. I have come very close to giving up on a particular pipe, thinking it was a piece of crap. I also have not found any one style of loading a pipe that works for all pipe/tobacco combinations...

Pipe smoking is a lesson in patience.        

That sums it up nicely.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    A lesson in patience. I like that

I find myself wanting to smoke my pipe more and more, especially in the cold. 

I am up to 4 pipes, all cheapy or estate pick ups. I'd love to have 4-10 more. 

Keeping the eyes peeled. 

If you guys see any stellar deals, shoot me a PM.