Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Help a brother out?

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm hoping one of you BOTLs who are gifted with the knowledge needed to understand and deal with iPhones can maybe answer what I initially thought was a fairly simple question but which my Oracle (Google) is intent on overloading me with unnecessary detail thereof. My question is simple, to wit:

What are the physical dimensions of the iPhone 5s?  

Preferably in inches but I may be able to figure out some other unit of measurement provided it originated on this planet and is not in daily use by computer-geeks. 

I'm contemplating upgrading to a 5S but size is important to me. My current iPhone, an iPhone 4, fits comfortably in most of my shirt pockets which is where I prefer to carry it. So, with regard to a possible upgrade, my mantra is - If it won't fit, it ain't it....

Thanks in advance to any of you brothers who can he'p me out here.... 

Comments

• Options
    badandy24badandy24 Posts: 41
    Dimensions123.8 mm (4.87 in) H
    58.6 mm (2.31 in) W
    7.6 mm (0.30 in) D
    Andy

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer."
    — Maj. I. L. Holdridge | Retired
  • Options
    Via Wikipedia a la google
    Andy

• Options
    I just upgraded the note 4 from iPhone 5s...love it
    Andy

• Options
    edited September 2015
    badandy24 said:
    I just upgraded the note 4 from iPhone 5s...love it
    Excellent!!  Thank you very much - both for the dimensions and for your opinion of the 5S. 

Oh, wait, I may have interpreted that backwards. Do you now have a 5S or a note 4?
  • Options
    I have the note now. Fits in my back pocket easily.
    Andy

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont care for apple products so I have always been some form of android phone.  Right now I am on the note 4.  I had the note 2 before this.  The initial switch to the note 2 took a bit to get used to the size but now I have a hard time holding anything smaller.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Well, I DID interpret what @badandy24 said backward. I took it to mean he now had a 5S and that he loved it. My mistake. 

The Note 4 may be a great device - I don't know. But I DO know that any device I carried in MY back pocket is gonna end up broken. I just can't/won't do that - based on previous experience. 

It looks like the 5S will fit in my shirt pockets, though. I'll get out my super-dooper gee-whiz measuring stick and check it out. 

Thanks, guys.....
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go samsung phone-wise. It's the next big thing. IPhone is so outdated... I like apple computers. Hate the phones. Anything apple does. Samsung does better.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    Nolagizmo said:
    Go samsung phone-wise. It's the next big thing. IPhone is so outdated... I like apple computers. Hate the phones. Anything apple does. Samsung does better.
    That's an interesting point, Mike. Which Samsung would be on the same level as the 5s?  The S5?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    So, Apple has iTunes to use to keep one's iPhone backed up and updated. Does Samsung have something similar?

and what about all the apps I have?  Are those transferable to a Samsung?
  • Options
    I think I've answered my own last two questions but now I've got a biggie. I've heard a lot of negative press about the Android operating system and the fact that IOS works better and for more things. What about that?
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    I think I've answered my own last two questions but now I've got a biggie. I've heard a lot of negative press about the Android operating system and the fact that IOS works better and for more things. What about that?
    I probably don't know as much as you Marty, but I always couch a phone's capability based on what it'll be used for.  Ask yourself, "Even if I read online that an iPhone is the most capable, is what I expect from the phone available through an S5?"  My guess is that any new Android will do everything you want and more.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    Nolagizmo said:
    That's an interesting point, Mike. Which Samsung would be on the same level as the 5s?  The S5?
    The 5s compares to the s5 but the s5 is better. Samsung has a built in transfer system for ios or android. ITunes works on anything. Android you can get FREE music no 1.29 a song. And if you get the latest model in the not so giant displays, the s6, it does wireless charging. Apple WAS the inovater in phones, samsung has outdone them 3 years in a row. Personally I could never go back to the iphone. I had the note 2 now the note 4 and when I upgrade it will be whatever note is "the next big thing"
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    Well, over time I've heard numerous comments about this app or that one not being available for Android. I'd think that app developers would work toward their apps being available for all operating systems. The fact that Android seems lacking in that regard raises a red flag for me. Maybe Android is more difficult to make work with certain apps...?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Androids offer the android market. Access to MILLIONS of FREE aps and music. Samsung phones now charge wirelessly, have a better display than iphones, get you free music, can mirror wirelessly to all new model samsung smart tvs. Can control your tv, and have way better voice commands than poor siri. In every possible way samsung galaxy out classes apple in phones. But get what you can live with for the next 2 years. It does not matter what the best is. It matters what the best is for you.
    You can play with all models at Best Buy if there is one close. And our mobile department can handle taking care of your upgrade. No need to worry about price. We price match. If you upgrade and hate it bring it back before 14 days and we can exchange it.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought you were looking for cigars  :o
  • Options
    Bigshizza said:
    He needs a phone to take pics of what he's smoking for cataloging purposes. 
  • Options
    Bigshizza said:
    Well, that's darned nice of ya, Jim, but I've got plenty at the moment and a few more in the pipeline due to an offer I couldn't refuse... Ya know how that goes. 

Thanks a million for thinking of me, though...  B)
  • Options
    I'm listening to what you're saying, Mike, (@nolagizmo) and I'm leaning in the Samsung direction...  I just learned of the S5 Mini which would fit my pocket better but it lacks some of the muscle that the S5 has. I may have to learn to carry it somewhere else....

I think I'll go see what I can find out over at the AT&T store tomorrow.....
  • Options
    Don't get a mini. Hard to get a case.

Get the s5 or the new s6. The s5 is even water resistant. Take that route you won't regret it. It has on board features for data transfer a super sexy display and plenty of accessories... make sure you get a case for whatever you choose.

Where abouts do you live marty?
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have the Galaxy s6 and an iPhone 6 for work. Love my Samsung so much more
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Nolagizmo said:
    Don't get a mini. Hard to get a case.

Get the s5 or the new s6. The s5 is even water resistant. Take that route you won't regret it. It has on board features for data transfer a super sexy display and plenty of accessories... make sure you get a case for whatever you choose.

Where abouts do you live marty?
    About forty miles north of Sacramento, CA...  Why do you ask?
  • Options
    Was gonna tell you to goto a best buy so you could play with the phones, but it doesn't really matter. The display models are the i6 and s6 alike and you are more interested in previous model.

• Options
    Right. Plus Best Buy is in Sacramento or thereabouts. The AT&T store is right here in town and I think I've seen an ad or two for upgrading for free if I qualify and I'm sure my last contract has more than been fulfilled. 

I'll go go have a look and see what kind of juju I can talk with them.   B)
  • Options
    Just remember.

LG and HTC...

are not the droids you are looking for...

All the best Marty.
     B) 
  • Options
    Okay. Got it. Many thanks, Bro.....
  • Options
    Usaf06 said:
    Have the Galaxy s6 and an iPhone 6 for work. Love my Samsung so much more
    I agree Nick the galaxy models out class all phones. Poor apple. They just released the iphone 6 and 3 months later namely Friday September 25 had to release a iPhone 6s and still are way behind the galaxy note 5 and s6 and edge and whatever samsung touches. APPLE GO BACK TO COMPUTERS AND MAKE ADOBE FLASH WORK ON IOS!
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Galaxy S6 Active. I highly recommend it.  It's a great phone for when I do reviews under water testing to see what Cigar companies make water proof cigars.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    I have the Galaxy S6 Active. I highly recommend it.  It's a great phone for when I do reviews under water testing to see what Cigar companies make water proof cigars.
    Hey, that's great!  Now all you need is a 50 ring guage snorkel. Or better yet, a snorkel with changeable ends for various RG cigars.  :p
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now I have a hard time holding anything smaller.
    That's what she said ;) Sorry, I had to! Samsung is the way to go, BUT, if you are used to an iPhone there will be a learning curve. iphones are very user friendly and intuitive. My mom switched from one to a Galaxy S5 and hasn't been very happy with it. Go through an AT&T corporate store, not an authorized reseller. The website tells you which are corporate. They have a 14 day trial period. Used to be 30, but I think it's 14 now. You can return for any reason. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!