Home General Discussion
Options

The benefits of a dull palate

transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
First a few disclaimers:

- I still consider myself a newbie...I've only been smoking cigars for a couple years and didn't get "serious" until 2015.

- I smoked cigarettes for 30 years and quit 3 years ago.

- I'm a spicy food junkie.  Recently when I said a dish wasn't very spicy, my son-in-law who is completely non-confrontational, blurted out, " Yeah, but your taste buds are dead!"

- Importantly, right or wrong, I REALLY have come to enjoy smoking cigars.

In my early stick-smoking days, I purchased several boxes of cigars, but now I'm a cigar floozie.  I buy 10-count specials and samplers.  I want to try everything.  The thing is, I find that I like just about every cigar I smoke.  I just smoked a Sons of Anarchy on the back porch waiting for my beloved, but wretched Bears to kick off and enjoyed the hell out of it.  Yesterday at the golf course, my pal traded me a Cuban Cohiba for an Oliva.  The Cohiba was wonderful, but for me, it was no better than the Bareknuckle Punch I had at the 19th hole.

Mind you, I'm not totally indifferent.  I purchased a sampler of the Cigar.com House Blends and clearly preferred the Cuban Labels (particularly when construction issues didn't get in the way).  I also purchased a $19.95 "blind" sampler, and hated a couple of the selections (one didn't have a label and the other was something called a Panama Red).  I've also been underwhelmed by the 2 Patel cigars (Connecticut and Signature) I've tried.

This said, I find that I like cigars like I like movies.  There are some awful ones and some great ones, but I enjoy the vast majority.  For this, I blame/credit my old man, former cigarette-smoker, habanero-fried palate.  I imagine that I'm missing out on some out-of-body smoking experiences, but loving lots of smokes has its advantages...I'm a kid in a candy store.  Not all bad.

For the foreseeable future, I plan to remain a cigar floozie, buying $7-8 cigars for $3-$4.  Works for me.

Kipling was a wise man.

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some brands that i enjoy that will get your palate moving are Warped, La Palina, Tatuaje, Viaje, Romacraft, Crowned Heads
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter