Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Black ice humidification

NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
I trust you guys way more than my neibours but I found something I love and want to share.

It arrives like this with a few plastic pebbles in each quarter.

Pour half way with the only kind of water we use and an hour later looks like this.  

imageimage

Results are great. In that new humidor I have that @Patrickbrick says I have an unnatural connection with these are the only thing that could tame it.  

Holding temp and rh since a week after xmas.

My boveda are now back up. I like these. Less changing and recharging. Keeping them for backup now incase I get mad, but I doubt it.  

Only mistake I made is I bought 4. You get 4 quarters when you buy 1. Both my bigger wooden humi's now have this. I'm gonna experiment in a new tiny cooler before I change up the big storage. 

"Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just watch them Mikie. Had those in one of my desk tops and after a couple months one of them started to get mold.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Just watch them Mikie. Had those in one of my desk tops and after a couple months one of them started to get mold.
    I had a jar of these also. After looking around on the net I found some people had mold issues so I ditched it for heartfelt beads. Good luck
  • Options
    Again I trust you guys more. I got 4 so I'm hoping for a decent life on them but I will warch them close. So far so good. They did say don't over water them so I will treat them like a mogwaii
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throw one in an airtight container with a hygrometer and  see what happens, I'm curious.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the black ice to help my boveda packs keep up in my wood humis in the dry winter. But I have heard the mold problem and I keep an eye on them. 
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used them for about a year, recharging them as they dried out, then they were dried out and very few pebbles left so I ended up throwing them out. I thought they were ok. Thinking Boveda packs are better. And in the winter I usually add a shot glass of distilled water. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep a half-pound of heartfelt beads in my coolidor and a custard cup of distilled water. In my 300 ct. humi I stick strictly with KL and a custard cup of distilled water. Both work wonderfully well and I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".....  B)

P.S. I NEVER wet my heads or KL.... 
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had the black ice pie jar in my 150 for 2 years and never a problem. Also use them in tupperdors as well

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    I am enjoying the lack of maintenance. I will be watching it close. Tried the air tight thing Nate for stuff and giggles. Worked like a charm. Still concerned because of what others said. Will be watching close.
  • Options
    raymb1raymb1 Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I've read that using any other humidifier with Boveda packs is not good, since they would be fighting each other to control the humidity.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raymb1 said:
    I've read that using any other humidifier with Boveda packs is not good, since they would be fighting each other to control the humidity.

I read that there are aliens on the moon. If it'sit's on the internet, it must be true.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boveda = Two way.
    Gel beads = One way.
    If you do the math, the beads (if they are roughly at the same Rh as your Boveda) will replenish the Boveda and not "fight" to humidify one tiny bit. If, however you are using beads which humidify at 70 but you're looking at using a low RH boveda, say 58, you're gonna have puffy boveda and the beads will be doing much of the work and dry out quickly. If you use 69 boveda and similar Rh beads (which many are already), you will probably find it works kinda great. But your mileage may vary.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    To date the black ice have never given me an issue even in Louisiana humidity. I do keep a few boveda 69 in too but not had any issues in 3 years. 

As a precautionary measure I did change them out yearly... those who know me know I am not capable of aging cigars past a year... I smoke them way too often and way too rapidly.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mikie!!!!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    Hey Mikie!!!!
    Hey Peter! Had to put my 2 cents worth in. I'm puffin on an Ezra ninjabread man right now sipping some knob creek bourbon neat
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you 'round, Mikie!
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mikeee!
    Animated GIF
  • Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    Hey Mikeee!
    Animated GIF
    Bobby me boy, or Mike or smoker of the good stogies.... what ever you have a lingo to these years. I will be back up at Craig and Sandy's place for my birthday  July 5th  Bring the better half and let's get drunk and engage in tobacco stories. Booze tasting and adventures  
  • Options
    I got this new job with my company so can now afford to have babies and hang out with cool kids
  • Options
    JGruveyJGruvey Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss curious what all your results were with the black ice. I’ve had them 8 years now and only replaced once. They seem to work great to me. Use Bovedas for my travel gear. What’s your experience with them in the humidor?
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used the kitty litter for a while the switched to boveda for a while.  Boveda are less hassle than kl or beads imo.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.