Home Ratings & Reviews

Cohiba Red Dot Toro (Tubo)

CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
I want to preface this by saying I don't normally shell out for a single cigar, though I have had a few nice ones sent my way. So my experience on the "higher" end of Cigars is a bit lacking. You see Cohiba in stores and it is demanding a pretty high price, I got this one for 15 bucks, which for someone who has spent 30-40 on 10-20 cigars at a time is well beyond my normal realm. And for the most part, I'm still a relative newbie.

I have noticed in cigars there are a lot of mixing flavors and it takes a more refined palate to pick out different flavors or to enjoy the some of the melding between flavors. I noticed a few things right away. The draw was smooth, probably one of the smoothest I have had, but not THEE smoothest. That came from an Aging Room F44 from @Bigshizza which quickly made it's way on to my favorites list.

I also noticed it tasted very creamy and and a slight nuttiness to it that was familiar to me but wasn't something I could place. Something I hadn't tasted in a very long time. I looked it up when I was done and was told it was French Peanut. Which first scared me as I am deathly allergic to peanuts and peanut products. But after a few hours of not going into anaphylactic shock I stopped worrying.

That said it is one of the better cigars I've had. But I don't know if it was worth 15 dollars, I'd definitely recommend that someone try them, at least once. But it's definitely not your every day cigar unless you were one of the 3 schmucks that recently won the Powerball.

5/5, would definitely recommend it to anyone who has not tried it and would on a special occasion smoke one again.

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the NC Cohibas. Thanks for the review!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
     Glad to see you post a review! I tend to agree that they not worth the price point, at least not to me, I have quite a few of these left that are a few years old, they do get better but still..... I pulled one the other night but when I cut it the draw is too tight (resting at 69rh) so I moved it to a 65rh box, I will try to remember to do a follow up here in a week or two. I'm finishing a Torano 1916 now, I think these are a better Cameroon. 
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    The Cohiba Red Dot is easily one of my top favorites. Great flavor profiles through and through. :-) I normally don't buy them unless they come in a pack of other cigars. Its the only way I can really justify getting them. lol Its a great celebratory stick for a special occasion.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a good stick.  Can be had often in samplers for less $$.  Thanks for the review.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    This was the cigar that got me into cigars.  I prefer the Robusto. They can usually be had for less $$$. Just have to look. And, there are no peanuts in them.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only get them when they are in a sampler. Never really cared for them much before but I found a couple in my humi that I had forgotten so I fired up one and it was exceptional.