Home Cigar 101

Who are the Knock-offs made by?

ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've seen several different knock-offs on on-line sites, usually called "Alternatives", "Clones" or "Knock-offs".  They all seem to be made from clippings left over from making long-filler cigars.

Is it likely that these machine-made scrap cigars are from the same manufacturers of the cigars they are "clones" of?  Judging by the prices, which are usually about $2.50 per stick, I'm inclined to believe so.  

It seems like an economical way to try the premium flavor of the big brands, without the premium quality construction, of course.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

Best Answers

Answers

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to know, on both counts, thanks Rhamlin.  Will have to look into the factory seconds for a regular cigar, will also let me find my Friday Night cigar for less money spent.  Still new to cigars and have many more brands to try out. 

Will do, thanks genareddog.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Nicaraguan 90+ 2nds are very tasty.  The bundle I'm working on now has a few sticks with soft spots or slightly loose draw, but nothing that would impede one's smoking pleasure.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ricky @Rhamlin ; is spot on with his information there. 

I've had good luck with seconds/overruns in the past. 
    One of my favorites are the "Nicaraguan Boutique Overruns" - http://www.cigar.com/cigars/84718/nicaraguan-boutique-overruns/
    These all come from AJ Fernandez, so if you like his blends these are a great choice. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Thanks for the replies folks.  Will definitely put them on my shopping list.

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    Ricky @Rhamlin ; is spot on with his information there. 

I've had good luck with seconds/overruns in the past. 
    One of my favorites are the "Nicaraguan Boutique Overruns" - http://www.cigar.com/cigars/84718/nicaraguan-boutique-overruns/
    These all come from AJ Fernandez, so if you like his blends these are a great choice. 

Yep, these may be my favorite budget stick, I try to keep a few on hand always.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    The Nicaraguan 90+ 2nds are very tasty.  The bundle I'm working on now has a few sticks with soft spots or slightly loose draw, but nothing that would impede one's smoking pleasure.
    Yep I've gotten a couple bundles myself.