Home Cigar 101

The HumiFan Humidor Air Circulator by Xikar

miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
May be worth an investment. No need for wires. Battery life may be an issue. Ships in March sometime. Curious minds a wandering.

The HumiFan™ Humidor Air Circulator provides intermittent air circulation to prevent stagnant conditions inside a humidor. This redistribution of air, occuring every 15 minutes for 15 seconds, diffuses inconsistent humidity levels, providing a more stable environment for cigar storage. The HumiFan is pre-programmed to simplify your cigar regulation process, and the compact size of the battery-powered unit maximizes your cigar storage capacity. 

Free Cuba
"I ain't got no Opus's"
LLA
- Lancero Lovers of America
2016 Gang War (South)
May I assss u a ?

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw that the other day. Didn't have a price in the article I saw. Worth looking into, for sure.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    So my question to the people of xikar is if humidity rises then why do they place the humidifier at the top of the humidor?!
    Money can't buy taste
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 46qt. boxes are about as high as they are wide, and when I had to hygrometers in them, they were the same top to bottom.  I wouldn't be concerned unless I had a tower.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    withholding judgement until i see the price & battery life info. 
    can't beat that lifetime xikar warranty though.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They stole my million dollar idea! Dang! :(
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I see it as a functioning product however it seems more of a gimmick to get noobs to buy something that is really not necessary.  If you need air circulation in your storage then you are probably in a unit that is big enough that an oasis or similar product is being used and you just need to circulate the humidified air and most of those units have fans you can hook to them.  I guess maybe an aging cabinet or cooler that is rarely opened and sealed really tight this could be an idea but then again battery operated just seems foolish.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool product.  They will sell a ton of them.  I use a little computer cabinet cooling fan in my aging cooler which I don't open that often.  About $10 on amazon.  Comes with a 6 foot usb cord which I run out the drain hole and plug into a simple timer.  Easy Peasy and no batteries
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I went ahead and bought 2 of these. I got them for 22.95 a piece. Still a steep price, but I am very curious. Takes 4 AA batteries. I have installed them in my humi and I will see if there is a difference. I have about 4% swing from the top to bottom of my cabinet. Nothing critical but I wanna see if it can move the air. I doubt it, but I am gonna find out. I realize these are for desktops and smaller humid then what I have. I do have 2 upright fans in the bottom as well. This is a decent sized unit alsol but mostly battery space.

I'll wait a few weeks and see what happens. 

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you really need one of these for a 75 count humidor that really only holds 35-40 full?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IAlbinfk said:
    Would you really need one of these for a 75 count humidor that really only holds 35-40 full?
    I would not.
    So after just over a month of using 2 of these I am surprised to say they actually do move the air.  My humi has stayed very stable. The bottom use to run a little higher RH wise now they are nearly even.Around 2% variation now compared to 4. Cigar boxes could be effecting this as well in helping stable my humi. Still slight variations from time to time but most of the time nearly even. I did a paper test as well to see the cycles and it cycles quite frequently. Next update will be battery life. I installed 4 new Duracells in each one on Apr 2. Will monitor how long they last. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Update on battery usage. Just changed out both fan batteries. Not fully dead but the light was red on one of them. That is around 2 months life span. With 2 fans that's 8 batteries every 2 months. New Duracell's in this time will see if battery life changes any. 

For budget minded people this may not be a great solution if you figure battery cost over the lifespan of this product. I will say though the fan does work very well and in a 200 count or less humi it would be perfect to move air if needed. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was convinced the fan is necessary, I'd go with rechargeables.  Or, I'd find a way to sneak a little wire into the humidor, figure out what the draw on the fan is, and wire a wall-wart to it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Haven't updated this for a while. I have no complaints about the workability of the fans. Battery consumption is a considerable cost to be factored in over time however it should be brought up as battery usage was consistent over the last 6 months. With 16 replaced and another 8 due to go in any week now around 2 months battery life. Rechargeable is an option or as mentioned above some way to direct wire. 

I have these in my large humidor and will likely keep them there since it is very consistent. They are not designed for this and are recommended for smaller humidors but if my Humidor works perfectly I am not changing anything. 

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Good to know! I've been thinking about these but with the cheap fans from fleabay and five below I think I'm set.
    Money can't buy taste
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use one in my cooler and it works brilliantly. The batteries last a lot longer than I thought they would too. 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't updated this for a while. I have no complaints about the workability of the fans. Battery consumption is a considerable cost to be factored in over time however it should be brought up as battery usage was consistent over the last 6 months. With 16 replaced and another 8 due to go in any week now around 2 months battery life. Rechargeable is an option or as mentioned above some way to direct wire. 

I have these in my large humidor and will likely keep them there since it is very consistent. They are not designed for this and are recommended for smaller humidors but if my Humidor works perfectly I am not changing anything. 

I can't imagine what you consider a large humidor Rodney. Most people would call it their living room.
    Albinfk said:

I can't imagine what you consider a large humidor Rodney. Most people would call it their living room.

May need a bigger one soon. I have surpassed the stock of a small B&M down the road. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?