Home Non Cigar Related

Windows 10 just installed itself

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Didn't ask me, didn't give me any indication that it was gonna start, just did. 

Now I have to figure all this stuff out.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all good T. If you need tech support pm me. 10 is more friendly than most. The question is can the hardware handle it.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kinda wish my laptop would do that, 'cuz I'm too big of a chicken to do it on my own.  Let us know how it goes.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooooo, Bummer!!  I'm glad I've got my 'puters blocked so it can't do that. I was warned early on....   B)
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nolagizmo
    Hardware is good. 
    I set it up to do gaming and graphics work, so if Windows 10 is that big a resource hog, then there will be a lot of pissed off people.

My wife has been using Windows 10 for a while now and seems to like it, but I'm like you Peter, I didn't want to make the move. 
    I was surprised when I came in to do some things and it was installing.

The thing that worried me was we have limited internet right now, so I can't wait to check and see how much data we have left. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skynet.....
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Skynet.....
    ROFL!
    We're getting there.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    You should be good. On occasion it likes to hog. Don't say "hello cortana"... she might start using some ram
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I miss DOS myself.  

Was at Best Buy last year talking to the geeks while waiting for the wife.  I got going on how computers run our lives now, and how dependent we have become on them.  I used to buy a PC, plug it in and start typing and telling it what to do.  Now you bring one home and it's telling you what to do, or it just does it anyways.  Bow before the PC.  Passwords, got talking about that, I had to change mine every 90 days when I was working, and it can't be the same, ever.  Then it couldn't be just text but had to have symbols and numbers as well.  As we were leaving he yelled over at me walking out the door, "I gotta change my password!".  Then he started bowing to the computer.

Just for the record my first was a Commodore64, I don't miss that.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just threw away an old Radio Shack basic 'puter while cleaning up the attic. Still have my Mac 512k with a 400k floppy drive
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    The reason it probably installed itself was because Windows "suggested" a bunch of "maintenance updates" with Win 10 as an optional update that was (by default) checked off. It's really indisidous that way. Before every set of "maintenance updates" in 8.1. I always check the list to make sure Win 10 is not selected and uncheck if it is. 

I did actually update one computer from 8.1. to Win 10 and it's so much damn better and all my legacy software (some of it a decade or more old) still works. 
    raisindot said:
    The reason it probably installed itself was because Windows "suggested" a bunch of "maintenance updates" with Win 10 as an optional update that was (by default) checked off. It's really indisidous that way. Before every set of "maintenance updates" in 8.1. I always check the list to make sure Win 10 is not selected and uncheck if it is. 

iTunes does the same thing. Every time there's an update to download it also tries to slip 'Quick Time' in on it. When I learned that it was a subscription thing that I'd be billed monthly for, i got wise and started watching for it so I could uncheck it. 

Dem bastiges....  LOL.  :p
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Read somewhere that even if Win 10 is installed your old OS may still be there and you could either uninstall Win 10 or just elect to use your old one. 

Im going on memory here so part of that is probably wrong terminology but......  We oldfarts have a tendency to do that sort of thing.....
    You have 30 days to go back to old os then you're screwed and need recovery media
    Nolagizmo said:
    You have 30 days to go back to old os then you're screwed and need recovery media
    Ah, so. Thanks, Mikie.  B)

(Wish they'd add a better selection of emojis to this forum)  :p
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did this do my daughter's laptop and really hosed it up.  She lost the start menu and Cortana makes her computer run like a dog.  Will have to work on this soon.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woke up to Windows 10.  We've been putting it off, hope this works.  Made it this far! :#
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the prob is drivers. Win10 may be better, but if you can't find a display driver or a printer driver, then you are borked. Happened to me, my wife, the guy in the next office... pain in the butt.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two year old laptop came with 8.1, and I finally succumbed to 10 a few weeks back.  So far no glitches whatsoever.  But since 8.1 presented no problems, I don't see 10 as a great step forward.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    well, it took 10 minutes to get here from start-up.  I'm not impressed.

:'(
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Luckily, I've got it blocked from both my PC and my laptop. I'm just not ready to accept what I keep hearing is crappy software. Maybe later, if and when the bugs get worked out.....  We'll see.... 
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not had any issues to really speak of.  I have upgraded about 10 different machines.  The only thing that I have really had to do is uninstall printer software and install a newer version and a display driver on a different machine.  
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    is windows 10 still being offered for free? 
    or do you have to pay for it now?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

From what I've seen, it's still for free through the end of June. 
    raisindot said:
    From what I've seen, it's still for free through the end of June. 
    good to know.  been thinking about setting up a separate partition just for 10 to tinker around with.....but want to keep 7 as my "main" OS

Downloaded an app from Lenovo, seems to have sped things up considerably.  @jgibv , this was free, and unasked for.  Ah well, change with the times, or die with the past, eh?

Funny, yesterday I was starting to be happy with it, at least it downloads and processes gif's and such faster.  Today I get up and it's screwed up the whole desktop, and I can't get it to go back to "normal".
    :/

I updated two desktops from W8.1 to W10 and all was fine. Then I tried to update my Win 7 laptop and it spent six hours "downloading" the update before I stopped it. When I shut it down it tries to "install" what it had updated and I let it go for five more hours and  until I finally turned if off. Something about that laptop doesn't like it so I'm leaving in alone. 
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    8, or 8.1 upgrades to 10 are a no brainer.  there shouldn't be any issues with drivers not working from those to 10, but 7 to 10 upgrades can get a little sticky.  

From a technical standpoint, the biggest thing i have seen as an issue from 7 to 10 is 3rd party program compatibility.  We have seen plenty of little 3rd party apps not work which forced our users to upgrade to the latest versions which sometimes cost them some money.  Things like older versions of quickbooks and other commonly used 3rd part programs have run into this.
    and @brianetz1, you forgot to mention there's no media center with windows 10!!!

why i'm going to do a dual boot....
    can still have WMC on the WIN7 partition, then WIN10 on the other.