Home Cigar 101
Options

How many boveda packs can I use ?

SevenhillliSevenhillli Posts: 21
Hi ,

My humidor's features is  total 50 cigar but I have 25 cigar . I will use 25 cigar . 
How many boveda packs do I have to use in that humidor ?  

I
 love more moisture cigars so can I use 84 rh boveda ? 

Thanks your answering . I looked boveda web site I do not understand . 

Comments

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    84 is too high for storage. That is meant for seasoning your humidor. You'll want to go with the 72 or 75. I prefer a bit lower and use the 65, as do many around here, based on other threads I've seen.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would probably go with two or three Boveda packs for your 50 count humidor.  Even though you'll only have it half full, you'll need to maintain that size humidor and I've read that humidors that aren't full can be harder to maintain humidity for.  Adding more Bovedas than you need isn't a problem, it'll just make them last longer between replacements / recharges.

as Charlie said, 84% is too high, big risk for moldy cigars, many like 65 or 69% so the cigars are easier to light, smoke, and keep lit right out of the humidor but if you prefer a more moist cigar go for the 72 or 75% packs.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the rule of thumb is one pack for the humidor and one pack for every 50 cigars. And anything over 75 percent humidity you will stand a huge chance of getting mold if not a certainty of it. 
  • Options
    Hi , thanks for your replaying . I spoke to boveda , they say use 2 packs . I think that one pack is not for 50 cigar . I have 25 cigar ( rubusto ) i will use 2 packs . It is more expensive . I do not understand that why it is not necesssary one pack :(
  • Options
    You could probably get away with just one pack in a well sealed tupperdor, but with a wood humidor you'll need the two packs.
  • Options
    Hmmm ok. In 25 cigar we have to use two pack or in 50 cigar we have to two packs. In every status we have to use two packs in wood humidor . 
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I put in a few extra's but that's the way I am.  Thinking it can't hurt and may help stabilize and recovery after leaving them open when rummaging around.  Anyone know if a few more is better?
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@the3stogies, More is better IMO simply because they will last longer between recharges.

@Sevenhilli, yes two is pretty much the minimum, there are a few of us who use extras and/or a gel or silica humidifier.

I have a buddy that likes his smokes at 78 + rh (he also smokes a LFD Airbender 6x60 in less than an hour) He buys a box and smokes it, anything that he wants to keep for more than a couple of weeks goes into a different box at 69Rh.

If it works for you it's good, just keep in mind that anything over 70RH means its a lot more likely to sprout mold.    

• Options
    Now my humidor is in seasoning i use 3 packs . Last 4 days . I hope that it will be seasoned
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you looked @ the Bovedo website it tells you 14 days is required to season a humi using there 84% packs. 1 pack for every 25 cigars the humi holds. So set it and forget it for 14 days. Don't open it just leave it alone. I would worry more about that glass top leaking though. Not reliable and may require additional maintenance for a tight seal.

Far from an expert but I use to smoke my gars on the higher RH side. I have lowered to 65% and all I can say is that I never have burn issues, no more cracking  and the cigars smoke really well. There is a huge difference for me at least. 

Easy way to find out what is best is to get some tupperware and add the same cigar to each one and using all the different RH packets. You can get the mini's. Then start smoking them and write down what you experienced. Let the cigar tell you what it wants to smoke at. Not a difficult process, Cigars need care and attention like plants, wine etc. This is not a "I am too lazy hobby". It can become an expensive lesson if you are not willing to put the time and effort into it. Once you get your humi and cigars right it becomes even more enjoyable. 

Many have said be prepared for mold when using RH in the high 70's. If it is something your smoking all at once then it should not be a huge factor. If you are storing them for a long period of time at that high of an RH u may as well flush your $$ down the ****.

Or take them to your local B&M and have tell you you have tons of plume on a moldy cigar. 

I suggest searching the forum and reading others experiences and suggestions. Lots of info here for should.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with that humidor, I have the same 1 and now it sits in my cooler with the glass removed.. Boveda is expensive if you use them then toss them.. Recharge them in a small designated Tupperware and cost drops dramatic .
  • Options
    Seasoning was finished but I will wait one day more . Tomorrow I will open humidor and I put my cigars . Total 25 cigars I have . 

After seasoned I will start 2 boveda 84 rh . Boveda said that not use 84 rh  and certainly use 8two packs ( 74,72,69 ) . I know , When I used 84 rh for small cigar , they are soft . I love soft cigar . 

I have two hygrometers one analog on humidor , other one digital . When I will put my cigar and two 84rh packs , I will observe my hygrometers . If they are over 80 rh , I will start 74 rh packs . 

Maybe my humidor is not good , because it was cheap I bought amazon . 30 $ it was price .  

In fact , It may be miss few levels moisture , so it was cheap and not orginal . I tested my humidor , dollar test and light test . It passed but cedar is not engouh to hide cigars. 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    More 84 rh effect plume ? Do you say this ?

@wylaff .
  • Options
    If you keep your RH that high you will develop mold. Not just on you sticks. Your cedar will mold in any available crevice as well. If you like a soft cigar go for the 74 rh and through in extras. but you are playing russian roulette with your stash if you keep seasoning bovedas in there.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever read any recommendation to store cigars at 84% rh.  This could be an expensive lesson once mold sets in.
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    ^^ That will cause mold too....

• Options
    ^ ^ and rapid softening too
  • Options
    Ok i will not use 84rh. But i will use 72 rh two packs for 20 cigar in wood humidor . Everything is ok my friends ? 
  • Options
    All is forgiven Seven, lol.  It's really personal preference after all, but hate to see your cigars get ruined.  Especially if you're going to keep them in there for a while.  
  • Options
    I think two packs is enough . I will hide them in 2 packs 72 rh . I love my cigars but that moinstere is mixed problem
  • Options
    As long as you're having fun, there's so much to learn and discover.  Fun because you get to smoke some good cigars while you play around, can't go wrong.
  • Options
    Hi my friends , seasoning finished . I filled my cigars in humidor with two 72 rh packs . I added picture. Now , everything is fine . I am verry happy . I understand that seasoning is most important . 
  • Options
    Hi , now my humidor jpeg . I hope that there is no problem
  • Options
    Looks good.
  • Options
    Thanks but boveda is very expensive so i decided to buy xikar crystal jar and humidior solution . 
  • Options
    You already have your bovedas bought, and they are rechargeable so why switch?

• Options
    I do not know that why i can recharcagble , if you know can you share link or something . 
  • Options
    Toss them in distilled (holy) water for a day or two.